Radiohead Headlining 2017

The Nal

1 minute ago, BlackHole2006 said:

Ahahaha, thanks for noticing. I'll go and edit that now. I'm going to blame the fact that I'm extremely tired after a long day at work for that one.

Don't worry, there are worse things than duplicating songs in a hypothetical Radiohead setlist on efests :P

19 hours ago, eFestivals said:

because my info is from June and might have changed, and my 99.99% is more hunch in conclusion than confirming other-info, and I'm being mega cautious after the coldplay cock-up ... and it came from Michael's lips.

I can't go telling you lot to be wary of stuff Michael's said and then dive full in myself. :P

But i do think in this instance it's right.

Did you get that much grief for the one time (that I'm aware of) that you were wrong?

It's a shame to think you cant back your knowledge/hunches/information through fear of people overreacting or being abusive. The internet can be such a negative, faceless place that can do so much harm to those who are trying to create a positive environment/positive materials.

3 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

Did you get that much grief for the one time (that I'm aware of) that you were wrong?

It's a shame to think you cant back your knowledge/hunches/information through fear of people overreacting or being abusive. The internet can be such a negative, faceless place that can do so much harm to those who are trying to create a positive environment/positive materials.

Nope, didn't get much grief. I disliked spoiling the rep I'd had previously tho.

And one of the things which helped cause that cock-up was me deciding i didn't need a confirming source because of who the source was and I knew of their 100% accuracy with big info (for more than just Glasto) over a number of years. As everything else I got from the same source at the same time was accurate, I have ended up concluding the source was good that time too - but that the "next year" part somehow got lost along the way.

I don't have any confirming info on radiohead, so that more than anything is why they're not listed as TBC. Me strongly thinking the info is probably accurate is my hunch; the rumours page uses info for (claimed) certainties.

9 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Nope, didn't get much grief. I disliked spoiling the rep I'd had previously tho.

And one of the things which helped cause that cock-up was me deciding i didn't need a confirming source because of who the source was and I knew of their 100% accuracy with big info (for more than just Glasto) over a number of years. As everything else I got from the same source at the same time was accurate, I have ended up concluding the source was good that time too - but that the "next year" part somehow got lost along the way.

I don't have any confirming info on radiohead, so that more than anything is why they're not listed as TBC. Me strongly thinking the info is probably accurate is my hunch; the rumours page uses info for (claimed) certainties.

Are either, or both, of the sources for the Radiohead/Roses info and Daft Punk info sources that have provided correct Glastonbury headliner info before?

33 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

I've taken the piss a little bit, but I don't think the abuse on here about rumours has got much beyond "as sure as you were about Coldplay? ;)" or "having one of your Emeli Sandé moments?

After all everyone appreciates that Neil still has far better info than the rest of us.  Even when I was running SecretGlasto and getting tips sent to me, Neil still pipped me by 20 mins to The Libertines.  And he was in a field. :) 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Are either, or both, of the sources for the Radiohead/Roses info and Daft Punk info sources that have provided correct Glastonbury headliner info before?

The RH/SR source has done. It's just a shame I didn't listen and rejected it as wrong. :lol:
(yep, that really happened - tho there was good reason why I rejected it).

The DP one is new and a bit remoter, tho I've previously had good DP info from someone different who was very similarly positioned, and unlike the RH/SR source they've got professional reputation to lose if they're wrong. All the same, I know people like that do get it wrong sometimes, and the general chances of DP touring are slim, so I've got less belief in this one.

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

The RH/SR source has done. It's just a shame I didn't listen and rejected it as wrong. :lol:

The DP one is new and a bit remoter, tho I've previously had good DP info from someone different who was very similarly positioned, and unlike the RH/SR source they've got professional reputation to lose if they're wrong. All the same, I know people like that do get it wrong sometimes, and the general chances of DP touring are slim, so I've got less belief in this one.

What does your previously reliable man who gave you the tip about Radiohead 2016 think about next year?

11 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

What does your previously reliable man who gave you the tip about Radiohead 2016 think about next year?

not heard from him since before this year's fest. He'll show up if he hears anything, I guess, as he's got in touch in about 75% of years since around 2010.

Despite him being wrong this year I'd still have trust in his word if he got in touch, as he's been right with every other bit of info he's given me and I know he's got the necessary connections.

20 hours ago, eFestivals said:

because my info is from June and might have changed, and my 99.99% is more hunch in conclusion than confirming other-info, and I'm being mega cautious after the coldplay cock-up ... and it came from Michael's lips.

I can't go telling you lot to be wary of stuff Michael's said and then dive full in myself. :P

But i do think in this instance it's right.

Neil apologies if you have had the question already - but in the past have you ever been 100 percent correct with your predictions of the three headliners at this stage (ie October before the festival)?

Im a long time reader, first time poster... , Im just asking as this will probably be my last Glasto and a Daft Punk / Radiohead / Stone Roses lineup would really be a perfect last lineup ... I mean Id take Pearl Jam instead of Daft Punk at a push, but as it stands this would be a dream line up for me.

23 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Interesting. Yeah if nothing to suggest Daft Punk will be playing live in 2017 surfaces before the new year I guess we can start to write that one off. Not sure what options that leaves apart from the reoccurring Sheeran suggestion

1 minute ago, aphexbin said:

Neil apologies if you have had the question already - but in the past have you ever been 100 percent correct with your predictions of the three headliners at this stage (ie October before the festival)?

I'm not sure if I ever have been, tho someone else might know better than me.

There was 1998, when I got the full stage listings when I shouldn't have done - I even said to the guy "are you SURE I can publish this?" :lol: .. tho that was in February time, i think.

There was a year perhaps ten years ago now, where an excel spreadsheet got sent to me or published, which I managed to get verified as a genuine item - I can't remember if that was pre or post headliner announcements now tho. It wasn't this early.

This time last year I was very firmly fixed on the three right acts as the acts they were trying to do, even if they might not have all come as far as contract signing in the end (tho they did do. Whether they were actually firmly signed up at this time last year I don't know, tho there's decent indication that Adele was dithering or delaying).

The problem is that it's quite often been the case that one or more of the headliners are only sealed quite late, so at this time of year all of the headliners aren't necessarily there to be known. They've seeming got a bit better in trying to sort things early in the last year or three, but they can't twist an act's name into signing, so if they want to sign them they have to wait until they'll sign, or they move on to trying to get another act

1 minute ago, aphexbin said:

Im a long time reader, first time poster... , Im just asking as this will probably be my last Glasto and a Daft Punk / Radiohead / Stone Roses lineup would really be a perfect last lineup ... I mean Id take Pearl Jam instead of Daft Punk at a push, but as it stands this would be a dream line up for me.

It's really a leap of faith, but I'm currently thinking that what I heard about DP is likely to be right, for nothing much more than something about it feels right to me.

When something feels right to me, i'm often wrong. :P

5 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Interesting. Yeah if nothing to suggest Daft Punk will be playing live in 2017 surfaces before the new year I guess we can start to write that one off. Not sure what options that leaves apart from the reoccurring Sheeran suggestion

If both DP and Sheeran do not happen then who else is there?

Foos - Not active at moment, would they get back just for one gig? Remember they bailed on an entire tour so more likely to rearrange a whole tour in a year or two.

Gaga - Unless this new album absolutely smashes it, do enough people care any more?

Depeche Mode/Green Day - Playing elsewhere

Gorillaz - Will Damon fancy it after the last disaster there?

Fleetwood Mac - Maybe they'll finally take the pay cut?

Queen w/Adam Lambert - Maybe if they're about?

The Who - Well, if no-one else is available...

2 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Maybe his was another "coldplay" example where he was a year ear;ier. Are they sourcing headliners earlier than before after the who debacle and so rumours come out but they're actually a festival in advance? So Daft Punk are actually headlining the next festival in 2019?

i think that's definitely what happened with Radiohead, as they've made it clear that all of this years and next years headliners were secured prior to this years festival, so i think the '2017' got lost along the way concerning them

i think the Daft Punk info is more likely to be wrong all together than a year or two too early, but we shall see

2 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Maybe his was another "coldplay" example where he was a year ear;ier. Are they sourcing headliners earlier than before after the who debacle and so rumours come out but they're actually a festival in advance? So Daft Punk are actually headlining the next festival in 2019?

Yep, it occurred to me that he might have got hold of info for next year. I think I asked him about it tho and he said there couldn't have been a mixup on the year from what he heard, There's other possibilities, such as it was right at the time and things changed. I guess i'll never know, tho.

I do know matey has the connections to get excellent info tho. He's more than proven that with the few bits of other stuff he's given me.

Getting headliners is often a many-years conversation from bits and pieces i've been told over the years, and it comes together when it comes together. I know, for example, they were talking to the Foos (or their management) a decade or so before they agreed to headline: "we have a regular conversation" or something, i was told.

I think in most cases with the bigger acts, they only do a deal when they want to, when they can make everything of what they're wanting to do fit into a sensible plan, and that might take months to line up all of the bits, and so delay the act making a commitment.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

Yep, it occurred to me that he might have got hold of info for next year. I think I asked him about it tho and he said there couldn't have been a mixup on the year from what he heard, There's other possibilities, such as it was right at the time and things changed. I guess i'll never know, tho.

I do know matey has the connections to get excellent info tho. He's more than proven that with the few bits of other stuff he's given me.

Getting headliners is often a many-years conversation from bits and pieces i've been told over the years, and it comes together when it comes together. I know, for example, they were talking to the Foos (or their management) a decade or so before they agreed to headline: "we have a regular conversation" or something, i was told.

I think in most cases with the bigger acts, they only do a deal when they want to, when they can make everything of what they're wanting to do fit into a sensible plan, and that might take months to line up all of the bits, and so delay the act making a commitment.

I imagine RH have had a verbal agreement with the festival for several months now, and since Ed said they had a load of dates to look through for next year, they may be putting pen to paper on a Glastonbury headline slot imminently. 

I still think there's a chance they were pencilled in as backup for this year, just in case someone dropped out, with a view to headlining next year if everything worked out as they were hoping.