Radiohead Headlining 2017

The Nal

15 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

If they're going to open with Burn the Witch they either need a full orchestra on stage or they need to over-dub the strings. Could barely hear them at the Roundhouse and the song sounded much weaker for it.

yep they definitely haven't nailed down the live version yet. the recorded one starts with such oomph and the live one barely even sounds like the same song until Thom starts singing, which is a shame because if they did nail it down it'd be an incredible opener

Edited by FloorFiller

Talking of Burn The Witch, Adam Buxton posted a follow up podcast, where Jonny spoke about his dislike for live strings with bands.

Can't get the strings on stage you see.. We have a slightly self-defeating rule of never using either click tracks or samples or playing along to pre-recorded stuff, so we can't do any of that stuff... I know that whenever you see a band live and they've got live strings, [it] never really works, never sounds great.  All the microphones attached to the violins and it's all a bit scratchy.  You need a quiet room to record.

http://adam-buxton.co.uk/ad/2016/06/19/podcast-ep-22-22b-jonny-greenwood

Scroll down to 22B BONUSJONNYBITS and go to about 21:30

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Talking of Burn The Witch, Adam Buxton posted a follow up podcast, where Jonny spoke about his dislike for live strings with bands.

http://adam-buxton.co.uk/ad/2016/06/19/podcast-ep-22-22b-jonny-greenwood

Scroll down to 22B BONUSJONNYBITS and go to about 21:30

b...b...but... the strings!

ah well there goes that dream then. slightly mediocre Burn the Witch will have to do

6 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Always knew they were a set of tossers. 

If they can't get get it to work, must be their fault!

Sigur ros with strings sounds ace.

Spiritualized with strings sounded ace.

The Syrian National Orchestra with strings sounded ace.

The London Philarmonic aren't too shabby

ELO with strings sound..... (ok fair enough)

I think Jonny is just being precious because he's so into his strings.  They might not sound good for strings, but I bet they'd sound a hell of a lot better than him bowing his bloody guitar.

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

So they won't put strings on stage, or pre-record them, or sample them or basically anything that will make it sound any good.  Great.

I think they can figure out a way to make it sound good without using live strings/pre recorded strings. They just need to do something different what they are currently :P

Begs the question why you would write a song so heavily reliant on strings that you intend to open your shows with, when you refuse to use strings live and have no better alternative way of playing it.

26 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

gonna have to make sure i turn up to one of their pre-Glastonbury shows with a sign saying 'Get some strings on Burn the Witch lads, it sounds shite'

Or we could all just turn up with our own string instruments and fix it ourselves

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Chawk said:

I would 100% cry, it's my favourite track. Just seen that MrPlayer's uploaded the full Canal+ show with MPS second to last, but has audio of the Cinnamon Girl cover at the end now.

Top gig this :) , I love Morning bell and Dollars and Cents, just brilliant, god I hope I get tickets this year!

10 hours ago, brettredmayne said:

Reminds me of Oxford when there started playing MPS and pretended something broke...then did this

Pretended?! Please show respect, the organ died and took Motion Picture Soundtrack with it that night. (RIP)

2 hours ago, Mash011 said:

How stupidly good are these clips???

I'm counting the CR78 as the 10th member of the band now.

23 hours ago, jparx said:

At Nos Alive they did Creep then Karma Police and it was an amazing end to the show. Plus Thom does that gimmick where he keeps strumming along and the crowd carries on singing the outro. I feel like that will be the lasting moment from their set. I was never the biggest Karma Police fan, but that moment really converted me!

This was probably my highlight of the festival. Beautiful moment!