Radiohead Headlining 2017

The Nal

On 18/08/2016 at 0:20 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

If they did, it would be an incredibly small crowd by Pyramid standards. Despite their musical legacy, I don't think they're that big of a draw in this country. I know you're a big fan, but CBA you really see them packing out that field?

You might be right to say that they'll have enough offers to not accept any lower than the Pyramid, but that's not the same thing as actually getting the offer. 

It would be nothing short of scandalous if Talking Heads played and did not headline.

10 hours ago, Woffy said:

I reckon you should draft a strongly worded letter in advance, Easty, old bean. ;-)

I did not get a reply to the strongly worded letter I wrote this year in regards to New Orders set length. Silly, cider drinking, hick ba5tards :o:P

On 18/08/2016 at 0:20 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

If they did, it would be an incredibly small crowd by Pyramid standards. Despite their musical legacy, I don't think they're that big of a draw in this country. I know you're a big fan, but CBA you really see them packing out that field?

You might be right to say that they'll have enough offers to not accept any lower than the Pyramid, but that's not the same thing as actually getting the offer. 

if they reformed and were announced as pyramid headliner they'd be enough hype around it to trigger plenty of interest in those who might need a nudge. I've little doubt they'd get a crowd at least as big as Metallica got as a better fit musically at Glasto, tho I've no problem recognising that they'd not be the biggest crowd-drawing headliner.

I am just listening to their Lollapollaoza set (again). 

With the presumption they will tour in early 2017 when are they likely to announce the dates?

There is a subreddit regarding rumours to o2 dates, is this what we can expect?

Looking back at the 2012 tour, there was 5 months between announcing o2 in March and playing in October

Edited by stocky3000

1 hour ago, stocky3000 said:

I am just listening to their Lollapollaoza set (again). 

With the presumption they will tour in early 2017 when are they likely to announce the dates?

There is a subreddit regarding rumours to o2 dates, is this what we can expect?

Looking back at the 2012 tour, there was 5 months between announcing o2 in March and playing in October

Million dollar question right there..! It'll get announced when it gets announced :P I don't think there's any guarantee at all that there will be a tour early next year.

It'd be nice if they are the first Glastonbury headliner to get an official announcement (if they are playing ofc). Would rather get it announced early so we can spend months posting set lists! 

On 8/22/2016 at 7:33 AM, eFestivals said:

if they reformed and were announced as pyramid headliner they'd be enough hype around it to trigger plenty of interest in those who might need a nudge. I've little doubt they'd get a crowd at least as big as Metallica got as a better fit musically at Glasto, tho I've no problem recognising that they'd not be the biggest crowd-drawing headliner.

I'm talking about Radiohead here so sorry for the miss quote

I remember seeing them at Leeds Festival a few year ago, whilst I know its a different festival crowd was packed at first but I have never seen a crowd exodus as big as Radiohead that day, like thousands left and ended up only a 1/3 full... so would be interested they faired at Glastonbury

Edited by shoptildrop

31 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

I'm talking about Radiohead here so sorry for the miss quote

I remember seeing them at Leeds Festival a few year ago, whilst I know its a different festival crowd was packed at first but I have never seen a crowd exodus as big as Radiohead that day, like thousands left and ended up only a 1/3 full... so would be interested they faired at Glastonbury

Radiohead would do just fine at Glastonbury. they may not pull the biggest crowd of the weekend, but it wouldn't be anything like Leeds where people were leaving in droves upon realising it wouldn't be a hits-filled set. they seemed to fair a lot better at Reading the next day where they did play a hits filled set, and i can't imagine they'd do Glastonbury without doing similar. they seem to be playing a lot more crowd pleasers on this tour and especially at festivals

On 8/26/2016 at 8:02 PM, FloorFiller said:

Radiohead would do just fine at Glastonbury. they may not pull the biggest crowd of the weekend, but it wouldn't be anything like Leeds where people were leaving in droves upon realising it wouldn't be a hits-filled set. they seemed to fair a lot better at Reading the next day where they did play a hits filled set, and i can't imagine they'd do Glastonbury without doing similar. they seem to be playing a lot more crowd pleasers on this tour and especially at festivals

I don't really recall seeing people leaving in drove at Leeds, and I was pretty far back. It was a long time ago though.

On 26/08/2016 at 8:02 PM, FloorFiller said:

Even if they didn't play a greatest hits set, I still think the crowd would start strong and remain strong. The Glastonbury goers are generally more educated music fans than those that attend Leeds, and Radiohead doing a set of 2/3 lesser known songs would still go down very well. From my fairly limited experience, fans at Glastonbury seem to be, for the most part, into the actual bands and not just a few singles. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, jparx said:

Even if they didn't play a greatest hits set, I still think the crowd would start strong and remain strong. The Glastonbury goers are generally more educated music fans than those that attend Leeds, and Radiohead doing a set of 2/3 lesser known songs would still go down very well. From my fairly limited experience, fans at Glastonbury seem to be, for the most part, into the actual bands and not just a few singles. 

Post this again a few months into 2017, Jparx old bean, and watch the regional fur fly! ;-)

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Radiohead are a trendy band to like, they'l pull a massive crowd

considering muse aren't trendy and managed to pull a big crowd this year... I have no doubts in my mind that a radiohead headline slot would be very well attended

Radiohead will probably end up with a smaller crowd than Muse, Radiohead may be trendy to some, but Muse are a lot more populist.

• 2 weeks later...

Been having a think about the debate on the Daft Punk thread about it being unlikely Radiohead would play the Sunday, I'm not so sure.

Radiohead live on this tour is a different prospect to their last few tours. The sets have been fairly OKC/Bends heavy with even the odd Creep thrown in occasionally. If they played that kinda set with the LPO in for the AMSP tracks they could definitely pull of Sunday night.

12 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Been having a think about the debate on the Daft Punk thread about it being unlikely Radiohead would play the Sunday, I'm not so sure.

Radiohead live on this tour is a different prospect to their last few tours. The sets have been fairly OKC/Bends heavy with even the odd Creep thrown in occasionally. If they played that kinda set with the LPO in for the AMSP tracks they could definitely pull of Sunday night.

Radiohead doing a hits set with Creep, Karma Police etc. surely at least equally as suited to it as the Stone Roses? Not like they have a lot of big singalongs for the locals either.

10 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Look guys I get in some real bullshit debates on here. Unbelievably bullshit. I'm in some right now. But Radiohead not playing because they wouldn't do Sunday vs. playing on the compromise that they play Creep for a farmer - this is just not a thing.

:P

not so much a compromise - tbh i think they'll end up playing Creep regardless of where they play - but them playing on the Sunday and it not going down like a lead balloon seems a lot more likely to me now that we know that they've been playing these fairly 'hits' packed sets in contrast to the kind of setlists they were playing on TKOL tour, which would've been a struggle for even some Radiohead fans knackered on a Sunday night at the Pyramid

40 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

:P

not so much a compromise - tbh i think they'll end up playing Creep regardless of where they play - but them playing on the Sunday and it not going down like a lead balloon seems a lot more likely to me now that we know that they've been playing these fairly 'hits' packed sets in contrast to the kind of setlists they were playing on TKOL tour, which would've been a struggle for even some Radiohead fans knackered on a Sunday night at the Pyramid

I think they'll be faced with that whichever night they play though. That's why I didn't think they'd ever play again until they opened the lid on all the old singles at the start of this tour.

ThIs whole 'The Sunday headliner has to be an uber popular, middle of the road crowd pleasing act' suggestion is pants anyway. There's approximately zero chance the Eavii would turn down Radiohead because the only day they can do is Sunday and they aren't appealing enough to locals for that slot. If they want Thom and the lads at the farm and Sunday is the only day available, they will play Sunday. 

Doesn't matter anyway, because they are headlining either way. We all know that!