Bon Iver 2017

Amy Lawn

2 hours ago, Fred Zepplin said:

I think its an album that will grow on me but I won't be listening to it on vinyl, £24 for 34 minutes of music, no thanks

Conversely, i think it's worth a punt, there's a depth there, and it will bear repeated listens. If i can find a (no doubt overpriced) copy in Moscow this afternoon, i'll snap it up. Better 34 minutes of good music than 70 mins of mediocrity. Art shouldn't be sold by the metre.

i've only listened to it a few times, but it's a proper fascinating thing. Distorted sounds, fucked up vocals, wibbly wobbly farty noises plastered all over it but still unmistakably Bon Iver. It's an incredible example of reinvention yet keeping the essence.

Subbing Radiohead would be the best scenario. Can't see them headlining the Other, unless one of the Pyramid headliners is something really whacky. Clashing with Radiohead, Roses or Sheeran would be a bit odd.

Subbing Radiohead would fit musically and also be the correct fit in terms of their stature. 

New album hasn't really grabbed me yet but I'll try again later. I can't help feeling that it's a bit forced. Doesn't feel as natural as the other records.

Loving this new album a lot. Subbing Radiohead this year would work perfectly. There are enough accessible songs on it too for a general glastonbury audience to enjoy too, like 33 God, 8 Circle, 666 and the first 2 songs (can't be bothered writing the names).

Edited by Acid_Haze

if he comes on and plays heavily from this album (which I imagine he will), the exodus of casual spectators from that field is going to be pretty fucking spectacular. It'll make the Gorillaz crowd look like a mass sit-in demonstration

vYpKJ - Imgur.jpg

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I don't agree Mardy. As you've said, the essence from his previous stuff is still there so it's not exactly Metal Machine Music levels of bizarre that'd send people scarpering.

I just got visions of a load of people (I'm mainly thinking about my family to be honest) who know 'Skinny Love' cos there was a cover of it all over the media a couple of years back turning up and then being a bit confused

I love the album, but I couldn't get on with the lead single of it the first couple of times I heard it. It's not an instant, easy listen is it? reminds me of Frank Ocean's album from this year

Edited by Mardy

5 minutes ago, Mardy said:

I just got visions of a load of people (I'm mainly thinking about my family to be honest) who know 'Skinny Love' cos there was a cover of it all over the media a couple of years back turning up and then being a bit confused

I love the album, but I couldn't get on with the lead single of it the first couple of times I heard it. It's not an instant, easy listen is it? reminds me of Frank Ocean's album from this year

Hmm I think the cover of that is that much better known than the original that people won't necessarily go to Bon Iver thinking about it; although if it happens that they play the Pyramid then I'll no doubt be proven wrong by all the girls on shoulders singing along and making loveheart shapes with their hands. :lol: But yeah it's much different from that song (or what it's become) so I see what you mean.

I'm not in love with the album at the moment but I can totally see it being one that grows on me over a longer period. I'm still only getting into albums released last year, and Blonde certainly took time as you say. Deathbreast and Circle have instantly clicked with me so perhaps the rest will catch up.

I'd put him myself either subbing Other Radiohead day or if he is big enough to headline Other, opposite The Roses. 

They generally like to switch it up between sub and headline so if Bon Iver goes into Radiohead very well, that's exactly what I don't see happening. 

I'm seeing a possibility of The Weeknd, Bon Iver and Major Lazer being Other headers.

I'm enjoying it more after a few listens, but it still feels needlessly obtuse in places. Parts of it are incredible, other bits I could take or leave. I'm struggling to view it as a cohesive record, rather a collection of ideas - some of which are a bit 'meh', others are extraordinary.

I'd be very interested to see how it translates live, hopefully before Radiohead on the Pyramid stage :P, but I can see certain tracks being a bit tedious to stand through.

715 Creeks feels like the baby of Bon Iver and Imogen Heap Hide and Seek. 

I actually really like the album. It still feels very Bon Iver to me in that I felt strangely emotional listening to most of the songs. Only one I couldn't get along with is 21 moon creeks which was a bit like nails on a chalkboard for me! 

1 hour ago, jparx said:

29 Stratford whatever is massive. Love it.

probably my favourite song on the album

there are definitely a few songs that seem more like little interludes/sketches rather than fully fledged songs, but they don't take anything away from the album for me. enjoying it more and more with each listen. christ i get to catch him when/if he plays Glastonbury