Bon Iver 2017

Amy Lawn

Mentioned this in the new music thread but thought it might go a bit more noticed here - Justin Vernon and Aaron Dessner's new album as Big Red Machine is out today and everybody should give it a listen. Probably could've just been released as the next Bon Iver album really, and I mean that in the best possible way. Think it's fantastic. 

31 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Mentioned this in the new music thread but thought it might go a bit more noticed here - Justin Vernon and Aaron Dessner's new album as Big Red Machine is out today and everybody should give it a listen. Probably could've just been released as the next Bon Iver album really, and I mean that in the best possible way. Think it's fantastic. 

Agreed. It’s fantastic. Although I’d already listened to half of it with the singles that had been released. 

33 minutes ago, James96 said:

The track OMDB is complete shit though.

How so? I haven't been paying much attention to track titles/what song was currently playing but even at eight minutes long I didn't notice this song bringing a lull mid-album or anything, and on repeat listens it still sounds fine to me. 

13 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

How so? I haven't been paying much attention to track titles/what song was currently playing but even at eight minutes long I didn't notice this song bringing a lull mid-album or anything, and on repeat listens it still sounds fine to me. 

I think JVs vocals are some of his worst and the track feels like such a drag. I loved most of the tracks released before though. And People's Lullaby is great.

Edited by James96

https://news.avclub.com/bon-iver-is-not-happy-about-his-guest-appearance-on-emi-1828750768

What are peoples thoughts on this? I think Vernon has done well to distance himself from it. I've listened to the track and its pretty shit, but even sadder is Em still churning out diss tracks at 45 using some of the language he does.

On 9/2/2018 at 11:04 AM, jyoung said:

Love it! What's the touring schedule like for The National and Bon Iver next year? Would love to see this little side project on a dark night at West Holts!

Bon Iver doesn't typically plan tours more than a few months ahead.. at the minute, their only dates is a few around Europe next month.

Was gutted they didn't play last year so caught them in the Event Apollo earlier this year.. got Bon Iver in full and the majority of 22AM (as below). Was absolutely incredible!

Hoping they make an appearance on The Farm next year though alright.

PS - loving BRM also.

Screen Shot 2018-09-05 at 12.55.47.png

4 minutes ago, basquille said:

Bon Iver doesn't typically plan tours more than a few months ahead.. at the minute, their only dates is a few around Europe next month.

Was gutted they didn't play last year so caught them in the Event Apollo earlier this year.. got Bon Iver in full and the majority of 22AM (as below). Was absolutely incredible!

Hoping they make an appearance on The Farm next year though alright.

PS - loving BRM also.

Screen Shot 2018-09-05 at 12.55.47.png

I was at this and had a good old cry to the first half. Was absolutely magical.

They did plan a tour quite far in advance for the one that was cancelled the year before, didn't they? Remember getting those tickets well in advance. But then it was cancelled, so...

Not listened to Big Red Machine yet, but I have a copy and looking forward to doing so shortly!

• 1 month later...

I know the NOS Alive and Northside dates have been mentioned on here but they're headlining Bergenfest as well which throws up further hope.

• Northside 6 - 8 Jun
  • Bergenfest 12 - 15 Jun
  • NOS Alive 11 - 13 Jul

As far as I can tell, all sets are headline. I can't imagine that stopping a headline set on the Other Stage though?

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

West Holts would be the dream but doesn't seem quite right genre-wise. Park I think is bang on for the type of music, but not sure about size.

Very true. The Park is actually my favourite area of the festival so I certainly wouldn't be complaining but I can imagine it getting quite cramped. I like that West Holts has the screens now which could magnify some crazy stage/ lighting design for us all to gawp at. Also, Justin turned up for James Blake's WH headline set; maybe I'm still vibing off that because it was so great.

Edited by jyoung

2 hours ago, jyoung said:

I know the NOS Alive and Northside dates have been mentioned on here but they're headlining Bergenfest as well which throws up further hope.

• Northside 6 - 8 Jun
  • Bergenfest 12 - 15 Jun
  • NOS Alive 11 - 13 Jul

As far as I can tell, all sets are headline. I can't imagine that stopping a headline set on the Other Stage though?

Not clear whether NOS is or not. I think it probably could be, at least as a co-head, but it wasn’t specified in the presser. 

A good indication would be a Werchter announcement.