Bon Iver 2017

Amy Lawn

That was really good, was really worried setlist wise, I'd say my top 5 songs are Flume, For Emma, Holocene, Creature Fear and Blood Bank so was very very happy with that set

Blood Bank sounds very heavy live and was easily the highlight, some of the songs became so much more dramatic or heavy or orchestral live and it was really great to see, even the new songs which I'm not the biggest fan of, were great. 

Last night was unbelievable. There was some loud chatter in the build up but as soon as he hits that first verse in Flume everyone was silent. Highlights for me were Flume, 33 "God", Woods, ____45_____ (sax solo was so good); but I think my favourite part was when he played Beach Baby, absolutely mesmerising, just took me to another world. Put some videos on my instagram of that night and so glad I did, keep going back and rewatching.

That was great, but it’s really clear how much better the newer stuff is, especially live.

Also, I really like the idea of a residency, mixing up the set lists etc.In that way, it reminded me of the summer of Prince at the O2

Never seen him looking as relaxed as he did last night. Sound was exceptional, especially the bass. So intense it was making the whole room shake. But the previous posters were right, incredibly rammed. Get there early or you’re stuck at the back. No room to move 

The support was fucking shit though, like a stars in their eyes version of the war on drugs.

Incredible show last night. One of the most last minute decisions - left my house at 7:40 - got in just as he was coming on stage. 

Every night having a completely different set list is a nice touch. I'm so glad he's decided to do 8 nights at Apollo rather than two at The O2 or something similar. 

Last night was one of the best gigs I've ever been to. Sound was spot on from the word go. New stuff sounds incredible! Enjoyed the mix of all 3 records - not a bad track amongst them. Might have had something in my eye during  "29 #Strafford APTS". Real pain in the arse getting to and from the gig but soooo glad I did - life affirming stuff. Not a chatterer near us either, but we did go very near the front. Beautiful.

Yeah last night was mega. New stuff sounded great, and the reforming of some of the older tunes were brilliant. There wasn’t really a lull throughout the entire show and it was just great time after great tune. Heavenly Father, Blood Bank, Creeks and Wolves were the highlights to me. 

The beast from the east can do one already. All coach services to London cancelled for today. Heartbroken and massively out of pocket from not being able to attend tonight. I’m really looking forward to all the comments on here later about how good tonight’s show was..... :(

On 05/03/2018 at 1:04 PM, jparx said:

You'll have a great time :) It was beautiful.

And it was beautiful.  The sound was phenomenal, literally spinetingling.  I think @Mardy mentioned that it was rammed so get there early.  Got there late, paid the price.  Don't think I've seen it that busy downstairs before.  The biggest diappointment for me was they only played for just over an hour, they came on at 9pm finished at approximately 10:10pm.  Felt like there was so much more they could have played and was kind of expecting at least a 90 minute set.  Especially when you paying north of £40 for a ticket.  Most people seemed a bit gutted it was over so soon.

Don't want to end on a negative note though, the new material live is phenomenal, I'd love for them to record a "live" studio album of the record.  Although the stage is probably too small, can see them as the ideal John Peel or Park stage headliners next year.

6 minutes ago, Maurice Mecca said:

Most people seemed a bit gutted it was over so soon.

IT MIGHT BE OVER SOON

6 minutes ago, Maurice Mecca said:

Although the stage is probably too small, can see them as the ideal John Peel or Park stage headliners next year.

Other Stage surely?!

32 minutes ago, Maurice Mecca said:

I think they'd suffer due to the sound quality on the Other stage, feel like they need a more intimate setting.  But as I said they are probably too big for Park and JP

reckon it would be similar to Alt J headlining other stage last year, felt too big , felt weirdly disconnected from it and I enjoy Alt J so wasn't even a matter of taste

2 minutes ago, OddRon said:

reckon it would be similar to Alt J headlining other stage last year, felt too big , felt weirdly disconnected from it and I enjoy Alt J so wasn't even a matter of taste

I kind of agree (was at alt-j too and wasn't that fussed) but I think the difference is you can see alt-j anywhere and everywhere. They've played every venue, festival and festival slot under the sun. Bon Iver headlining the Other Stage last year after so few UK appearances here and there would have been spectacular.

Ben Howard worked okay on the Other Stage a few years back I felt. Thought it might have been lost but was sounding good from where I was stood. Hopefully Bon Iver is on the line-up regardless.

Feeling a bit let down by the night I went to in London (26th Feb) - looking at some of the other set-lists from other nights look incredible.

I thought Bon Iver were great at Primavera last year and that was on a pretty big stage, the 22, A Million songs sounded huge live but stuff like Skinny Love, Holocene, Beach Baby etc sound really good too. I agree with dental though, I think Pyramid sub is more likely.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

I’d bet large on them subbing Pyramid instead.

57 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

I agree with dental though, I think Pyramid sub is more likely.

They could easily do this, also. Similarly to The xx who pulled it off fantastically.

27 minutes ago, OddRon said:

I swear when we were all predicting him to play last year everyone was like he won't play anything he can't headline so won't play glastonbury

Think a fair few predicted it given the fact the record had come out and he appeared with James Blake in 2016 etc.

1 hour ago, OddRon said:

I swear when we were all predicting him to play last year everyone was like he won't play anything he can't headline so won't play glastonbury

Heh I couldn't remember this, searched it and then found out it was something that I perpetuated!

We didn't know then that they were gonna support Lady Gaga (previously Beyoncé) at Coachella. This was after Vernon slammed Beyoncé for how commercial she was too, so I think he'd support anyone really on a big enough stage.

15 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I’d bet large on them subbing Pyramid instead.

Unfortunately I think you're right. I'd be a bit gutted if they finally come back and they're on the Pyramid before Arctic Monkeys or something.

14 minutes ago, jparx said:

Unfortunately I think you're right. I'd be a bit gutted if they finally come back and they're on the Pyramid before Arctic Monkeys or something.

Two of my favourite bands but even for me, that would be tragic. I think Other stage if it happens but I feel like 2017 was the year (for a while). Can't see them being too active in 2019 at this stage, would love to be wrong though, of course.