Headliner predictions 2017

swede

For a headline festival set the Roses are commanding way WAY more than what a headline act on the Pyramid actually receives. Not sure if it's the same now but all three Pyramid headliners used to get the same amount - a set fee every year - which I believe was 250k. I'm not sure the tv coverage and promo surrounding is too beneficial for them - considering Ian Brown can't sing live

Depeche Mode I would say are in with a very good shout. As is Ed Sheeran. Is he due an album?

And then I suspect it will be out of Radiohead and Foo Fighters- if they are ready.

The likes of Fleetwood Mac want too much money so I think that time has passed.

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

Really don't think Depeche Mode are in the running. They're not that big in this country anymore, sure they are on the continent, but not in the UK. 

I await an incoming @eastynh to tell you off 

Hopefully they throw someone in at the deep in, slightly contraversial, get some people talking, only for them to blow the fucking place away 

Step forward,

Kendrick Lamar :)

Edited by Mezhyp1

9 minutes ago, rpfranks said:

They have incredibly devoted fans - didn't they sell out Wembley Stadium in 2013? (Might be wrong)

Sold out the O2 a couple of times over but not Wembley, no. I'm one of the people that thinks they're slightly too small/niche to do it these days despite apparently being close to signing in 2014. I'd be surprised if they're one of next years headliners, but it's not impossible 

Just now, arcade fireman said:

Exactly though. Very devoted base but not the sort of mass appeal to headline Glastonbury. 

Thing is once all those tickets are sold they can announce whoever they want and majority of people will still go.

and I bet it will be busier than Florence / Mumford if they headlined - and they are more "current".

Pyramid headline crowd is always full of people going "just to say I've seen them" a la Adele.

Just now, rpfranks said:

Thing is once all those tickets are sold they can announce whoever they want and majority of people will still go.

and I bet it will be busier than Florence / Mumford if they headlined - and they are more "current".

Pyramid headline crowd is always full of people going "just to say I've seen them" a la Adele.

Not a chance they'd pull a bigger crowd than either of those acts. With glastonbury's current demographic those type of acts are always gonna pull humongous crowds, whereas the likes of Depeche Mode, Arcade Fire and even Radiohead will pull smaller but more devoted crowds

I don't get why so many people on here seem to think Ian Brown won't sing live on BBC. If you go on YouTube you will find a shitload of stuff from the likes of Glastonbury, TITP, Jools Holland that he has allowed to be broadcast. I guess if they don't let them broadcast the T set next week, then there might be something in it.

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Not a chance they'd pull a bigger crowd than either of those acts. With glastonbury's current demographic those type of acts are always gonna pull humongous crowds, whereas the likes of Depeche Mode, Arcade Fire and even Radiohead will pull smaller but more devoted crowds

I didn't think Mumford and Sons was very busy if I'm honest. But I only walked around the edge of it on the way to The xx. Metallica wasn't that busy though from hazy memory.

I'm by no means a fan of Depeche Mode but I'd more than likely go and see them if they played, even though I'd rather they give a new band a chance like Foals - maybe not next year but the year after for sure 

39 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

Really don't think Depeche Mode are in the running. They're not that big in this country anymore, sure they are on the continent, but not in the UK. 

But they were meant to have been provisionally booked for 2014. Over a year in advance too. I agree it seems crazy but they must be high up the old list-on-the-fridge to be getting that sort of a look-in and with an album out next year I reckon it'll happen.

27 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Hopefully they throw someone in at the deep in, slightly contraversial, get some people talking, only for them to blow the fucking place away 

Step forward,

Kendrick Lamar :)

Considering they have avoided promoting the likes of Foals and Flo in the past couple of years, and faced a huge backlash the last time they booked a controversial act - also a rapper - to headline, I think there's practically zero chance of Kendrick headlining a night next year, sadly.

edit: I don't actually think Kendrick is a 'controversial' act, but I suppose any rapper headlining is.

Edited by dentalplan

Just now, dentalplan said:

But they were meant to have been provisionally booked for 2014. Over a year in advance too. I agree it seems crazy but they must be high up the old list-on-the-fridge to be getting that sort of a look-in and with an album out next year I reckon it'll happen.

Considering they have avoided promoting the likes of Foals and Flo in the past couple of years, and faced a huge backlash the last time they booked a controversial act - also a rapper - to headline, I think there's practically zero chance of Kendrick headlining a night next year, sadly.

I'm afraid I agree entirely, but there's got to be something of optimism to hold on to, or we'll end up with 3 nights of Steve Lamo specials 

I don't really get why the Roses would be choosing next year to forego a pay day to do Glastonbury. This year with only their own shows and a Scottish festival would've been ideal - now they've done that they'll probably want to wring out the remaining demand so playing to the bods at Glasto as well wouldn't be that appealing a gig to them would it?

Neil's source giving off Radiohead and Stone Roses is a thing, but I feel like anyone talking about the headliners right now would take a stab at those two. It could have even come from Michael himself and he just blurted out the two most widely demanded acts that weren't headlining this year.

36 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Neil's source giving off Radiohead and Stone Roses is a thing, but I feel like anyone talking about the headliners right now would take a stab at those two. It could have even come from Michael himself and he just blurted out the two most widely demanded acts that weren't headlining this year.

Whats this about Neil's sources? Did I miss something 

Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, The Smiths, Kate Bush, Neil Young

Anyone of those and I'd lose my shit. Most are highly improbable but possible but it's worth going for it with these kinds of acts because as somebody pointed out to me this year 'all the legends are dying'. Who knows how long these will even be possible?

34 minutes ago, Callum_96 said:

Whats this about Neil's sources? Did I miss something 

A source that should be good said that The Stone Roses and Radiohead are in place for next year, allegedly from the mouth of Michael Eavis. Though Neil added the source had been on 'the sauce' so it might've been a wind up.

Still only 'R' on the rumour page tho so maybe it's not fully taken at face value.