swede

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I think Coachella was streamed online.

They didn't come out of it well.

ah you're right. yep Ian sounds absolutely shite. i'd always assumed they'd gone down badly because nobody was interested in them, but the performance certainly didn't help! his verses on Made of Stone sound so bad

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

The Killers aren't gonna do it again. they've lost all momentum and, just like Kings of Leon, are doomed to release mediocre albums every few years that reach number one but quickly fall off the map, and those type of acts are booked by V and TITP, not Glastonbury (guess you could say the same about Coldplay and Muse, but they're both homegrown acts with a Glastonbury history, which those other two are not - there's a reason they've both not been booked again since first headlining)

The killers last gig in the UK was at Wembley stadium following a sold out UK arena tour

Unsure if it's just more there have been a break then losing momentum 

Edited by brettredmayne

Just now, brettredmayne said:

The killers last gig in the UK was at Wembley stadium following a sold out UK arena tour

Unsure if it's just more there have been a break then losing momentum 

they're still adored by their fans, but outside of that interest has definitely waned. albums are mediocre. singles barely make a dent. i can't see many people getting excited by them being booked to play the festival, especially since they headline V and TITP every other year they're active. they had their turn, were apparently pretty forgettable, and i doubt they'll get another, unless at some point they make a massive return and release an album (and singles) on par with Hot Fuss

It will all depend on who is touring / has a new album out.

If Ed Sheeran does, he will be a shoe-in. 

If Noel Gallagher does, I can see him being another. 3 solo albums if he has a new one (probably all 3 at number 1) plus the Oasis back catalogue. Would be very popular.

Foo Fighters if they are back have "unfinished business".

Radiohead is the constant, but I'd have expected them this year. 

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

1 minute ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

If Noel Gallagher does, I can see him being another. 3 solo albums (probably all 3 at number 1) plus the Oasis back catalogue. 

i think the ship may have sailed on Noel doing it. went from subbing a bunch of big festivals on his first album to headlining a bunch of smaller ones on his second (i know he headlined TITP but it seemed a pretty weak booking). i think the novelty factor of him performing Oasis songs has kind of worn out, and his solo material just isn't that good (at least not good enough to see him taking major festival headline slots). think they'd be wiser to just wait for Oasis' inevitable reformation in however many years

Who we reckon could be a potential outside bet? Is there anyone that could come from out of nowhere? 

Out of the blue Smiths reunion? Floyd finally get back together and repair the bridges with the festival? 

I want long shots dammit!

36 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

They really must be running out of new headline acts. Who could realistically do it that hasn't before?

Over the course of the next few festivals, you could make a viable case for Stone Roses, Guns N Roses, Foo Fighters, Taylor Swift, Rhianna, Ed Sheeran, Madonna, Robbie Williams, Daft Punk
And easily a dozen others I've not thought of - have a look at this 2015/6 headliner threads, I'll be surprised if there's less than 50 "first time" names floated on them, especially the 2015 one.

6 minutes ago, jparx said:

Who we reckon could be a potential outside bet? Is there anyone that could come from out of nowhere? 

Out of the blue Smiths reunion? Floyd finally get back together and repair the bridges with the festival? 

Sure. Garth Brooks. The Kinks, The Police, ABBA, Tom Petty.

Edited by incident

8 minutes ago, jparx said:

Morrissey's a stubborn old arse so i just don't see The Smiths reforming (probably for the best - i don't think he'd try and make out like he was enjoying it) and Floyd have only recently said they're done for good

i guess there are a lot of other options that could surprise us all, but considering these headliners were apparently booked half a year before this years festival had even begun i think it'll be three more obvious acts, with possibly/hopefully some big surprises further down the lineup

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Morrissey's a stubborn old arse so i just don't see The Smiths reforming (probably for the best - i don't think he'd try and make out like he was enjoying it) and Floyd have only recently said they're done for good

i guess there are a lot of other options that could surprise us all, but considering these headliners were apparently booked half a year before this years festival had even begun i think it'll be three more obvious acts, with possibly/hopefully some big surprises further down the lineup

My tongue was firmly in cheek with those suggestions FF :P

You're right though. Headliners being booked so far in advance is great for the Eavii in terms of getting their shit organised, but it makes it harder to react to emerging/re-emerging acts and can lead to somewhat predictable headliners. That being said, if it ends up being Stone Roses, Radiohead and Fleetwood Mac/Ed Sheeran I doubt anyone would complain!

Edited by jparx

39 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

ah you're right. yep Ian sounds absolutely shite. i'd always assumed they'd gone down badly because nobody was interested in them, but the performance certainly didn't help! his verses on Made of Stone sound so bad

Oh. Oh. Oh. That's just made me sad.

My favourite track, was imagining hearing that live at Glastonbury with the sun going down. Then watched 20 seconds of that video.

Little bit crushed.

8 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Really? They've played before and there aren't really many other festivals they can do as they've done R&L recently.

Just can't see them doing a world tour next year. If Trent finally does release some new NIN stuff, I can see it being followed by a US only tour. I feel like he's going to pop out of his Apple hiding hole with new How to Destroy Angels music rather than NIN stuff but would love to eat my words!

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Is Depeche Mode still a long enough 'long shot'? I'm tied to that. Doesn't make a jot of sense but if they were meant to have been in the bag a couple of years back then I reckon it'll come off.

i know they're nothing alike, but i can't see both Radiohead and Depeche Mode being booked in the same year, mostly due to them both being rather big cult acts instead of being widely popular with the masses. obviously there's no guarantee that Radiohead are one of the headliners, but if they were and Depeche Mode were another, i feel that even with Sheeran those two acts would have a lot of people scratching their heads, especially with today's shift in attendees

but then we had both Arcade Fire and Metallica in 2014 (although apparently not first choices) so maybe that's more my problem than something the organisers care about

5 minutes ago, ohvienna said:

Just can't see them doing a world tour next year. If Trent finally does release some new NIN stuff, I can see it being followed by a US only tour. I feel like he's going to pop out of his Apple hiding hole with new How to Destroy Angels music rather than NIN stuff but would love to eat my words!

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/12/trent-reznor-says-nine-inch-nails-will-return-in-2016/

Should be NIN stuff this year which is what I'm going from.

8 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

i know they're nothing alike, but i can't see both Radiohead and Depeche Mode being booked in the same year, mostly due to them both being rather big cult acts instead of being widely popular with the masses. obviously there's no guarantee that Radiohead are one of the headliners, but if they were and Depeche Mode were another, i feel that even with Sheeran those two acts would have a lot of people scratching their heads, especially with today's shift in attendees

but then we had both Arcade Fire and Metallica in 2014 (although apparently not first choices) so maybe that's more my problem than something the organisers care about

Aren't Radiohead a cult act in the way that Muse are; as in they're pretty mainstream popular but there are a lot of people that are absolutely loopy about them? Really wouldn't put them and Depeche Mode in the same basket. Wouldn't the Roses be considered a cult band as well?

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Aren't Radiohead a cult act in the way that Muse are; as in they're pretty mainstream popular but there are a lot of people that are absolutely loopy about them? Really wouldn't put them and Depeche Mode in the same basket. Wouldn't the Roses be considered a cult band as well?

I wouldn't say so. Even though they're playing more mainstream setlists now I wouldn't think songs like Lucky, EIIRP, Reckoner, Idioteque, etc. would go down as well as Supermassive Black Hole, Starlight, Knights, Uprising, etc.

Only one that would be as well known is Creep, and even then it's not exactly a big festival tune.

Radiohead, Stone Roses, Foo's... I feel like one will be wrong and will be like Ed Sheeran or someone instead.

Also gonna put this out there, Gorillaz are due to release a new album in 2017 and have been working on HD visuals for all their old stuff so I'm going to make a guess they'll make an appearance and put on a good show, perhaps on the other stage if not the pyramid?

Just now, dentalplan said:

would say Roses are far from a cult band considering they've managed to to numerous sell out giant shows with fuck all new material to promote them. Radiohead aren't exactly a mainstream band, are they? people either seem to love them or are indifferent to them, which is just like Depeche Mode in my eyes. Muse never crossed my mind as being a cult band. i mean, they have their rabid hardcore fans, but still have plenty of chart bothering singles (maybe not so much from their last few albums, but they've never pulled a King of Limbs). all a matter of opinion though i suppose, and i could be way off