Sigur Ros

ivan

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, evilduck said:

This and LCD were the highlights of the festival for me. I was a bit drunk and whale-screeching and freaking out, so apologies if anyone was near me on the left side..

It was you!! :P

Yeah - amazing performance. Gig of the festival for me and genuinely one of the best I've ever been to.

Being front and centre definitely helped. A good crowd around too - lady called Sarah from Oxfam who I chewed the ear off for 20 mins before the gig, and a lad behind me who was very generous with his rum.

And brilliant booking. One that a lot of us have been screaming for for years.

1 minute ago, glastofun said:

I love all their albums, but I missed this set.  I saw them live just a few years back and it bored the socks off me.  I think their formulaic approach is really emphasised when they play live.....every damn song, slow start, building up to this wall of sound.  

Hi - I didn't go to the gig but I'll come and give my opinion on it.

Hmm, I was somewhat underwhelmed by it, especially given that it was my most anticipated set of the weekend. I just thought that it was too minimal and as a three-piece didn't quite live up to the experience I'd expect from Sigur Ros. It's not that they were bad, but I can't remember anything from the set really as a standout - apart from the visuals of course.

Then I come on here and hear you all talking like this! Was I stood in a magical part of the tent that didn't get the full experience? Or was I expecting too much? Or was I too tired to enjoy a relatively slow-burning set?

3 minutes ago, Fearless_Fish said:

Hmm, I was somewhat underwhelmed by it, especially given that it was my most anticipated set of the weekend. I just thought that it was too minimal and as a three-piece didn't quite live up to the experience I'd expect from Sigur Ros. It's not that they were bad, but I can't remember anything from the set really as a standout - apart from the visuals of course.

Then I come on here and hear you all talking like this! Was I stood in a magical part of the tent that didn't get the full experience? Or was I expecting too much? Or was I too tired to enjoy a relatively slow-burning set?

I thought it was great, but not my favourite performance I have seen by them (the visuals made up for it though!)

Best time was round about the Takk album (so...2005/06) at T in the Park (I know, right!!!) they had a whole projection thing going on with a screen in front of them for the first couple of tracks - was stunning.

Regardless, they do always deliver something special

I wasnt in the right frame of mind for them on friday night so swerved it. I watched it back on the telly and it looked really good though. Amazing visuals. But I dunno, I'm so sad there's just the 3 of them now. Popplagio didnt come across that well on the telly, but I suspect it was sensational if you were there. 

Great show.

The lights and visuals were amongst the best I have ever seen. Great.

I would on balance have preferred to have them do the Sunday though and have EWF on Friday. Was well up for something lively after SR and by Sunday I just wanted to sit on my chair and chill.

13 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I know I'm talking as someone who never saw their full show but it was fucking awesome russy. Think you'd have loved it.  the last three songs were epic.  very nearly  equals portishead on other for beauty for me. 

Aye I dont doubt it for a second! And I know would have loved it. It's easy to be super critical from my armchair watching it on the telly.

The glastonbury factor makes up for the lack of members.

So was it actually that busy? Remember there were lots of worries about people not getting in the tent pre-fest. And that strange bloke who wanted to watch the whole of EITS and Aluna George just to get a spot - even though he didn't like either!

Edited by Homer

24 minutes ago, Homer said:

So was it actually that busy? Remember there were lots of worries about people not getting in the tent pre-fest. And that strange bloke who wanted to watch the whole of EITS and Aluna George just to get a spot - even though he didn't like either!

was pretty packed at the beginning but definitely emptied out a little as all festival sets do. That being said I arrived about 20 minutes before they started and managed to get myself a good spot.

Seen them a couple of times on TV and they look amazing, but I can understand why some people think they're a bit wishy washy. 

Finally saw them at a festival, on an open stage, and if you're anywhere in the middle or at the back, and you only know their hits, then they're not that great. 

Best suited to a tent I think for die hard fans, otherwise their sound gets lost in the ether. 

Edited by Cornelius_Fudge