EAST AND WEST CAMPER CREW

Swine_Glasto2014

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very best wishes to everyone, I'm fearful of what the next 24 hours may bring. We had already moved the CV in E18 to just 20 metres from the road this morning, sadly I left the festival early for the first ever time at around 8:30 tonight, the field had deteriorated and we couldn't get anywhere near the road, even though it was almost level ground and only a few metres, but amazingly right then a tractor appeared, I flagged him down, and we were on the A37 in 15 mins. So lucky, really hope we all do ok

currently sitting in E19 awaiting a tow. To make matters worse the other half has just accidently swigged gin from a water bottle he decanted it in to. Told him that was a stupid idea to start with, now looks like I'll be towing a caravan for the first time in nearly 30 years!!

We got towed out of E19 at around 3.30pm today, it was ok all things considered. 

Gutted we missed the last day of festival but having arrived back in the North East at 11.30pm and reading this thread I think we made the right call to flag down a passing tractor when we did. Tipped the driver a fiver for his swift work. 

Both ours and our neighbours vans were stuck deep since being towed onsite on Thurs as part of the showground exodus. 

Was a pleasure helping the 2 lovely girls behind us out too but even the efforts of 4 burly Geordie lads weren't enough to shift their van.

Hope you all had a safe journey when you finally got out.

Every single campervan being towed out by tractors in CV west, been sitting in a Q for 3 hours so far waiting for a tractor and can't see myself getting one any time soon. I've had a good weekend but this mud is just too much for me

3 minutes ago, tedmaul said:

Just heard these tractor drivers are volunteers. I think it's terrible that GFL aren't prepared to pay any money to help this situation. 

That might be because of legal & insurance problems if they are paid by the festival. But I'd hope that a hefty donation is made to the charity or carnival club of their choice.

31 minutes ago, tedmaul said:

Just heard these tractor drivers are volunteers. I think it's terrible that GFL aren't prepared to pay any money to help this situation. 

They are volunteers, and absolute heroes in my opinion, I cannot imagine ever having the bollocks or driving skills to drag vehicles, some of which have caravans and trailers connected, using a tow rope though deep slippy mud. I have to say that the £20 I tipped my tractor driver was the best £20 I spent all week. 

On an aside the setup in West seemed a little bit chaotic this year, the fire lanes rule wasn't adhered to in several places and although we were lucky I saw several vans that have no way of getting out until other badly parked vans are moved out of the way.

We are on the road home. We needed a tow on to the track and I think we waited about an hour for the tractor to get to us, but it's been pretty smooth since leaving the east cv field. 

Good luck everyone - hope you make it out ok. The tractors seemed to be dealing with everyone pretty quickly and efficiently, so I hope that continues.

Oh well, back to reality

Instead of making people queue for eight hours in the mud, why don't the marshals put people's numbers on a board and ring them when it's nearing their turn? 

Oh, because that would involve someone using their initiative and doing something sensible. Let's all carry on queueing and be terribly British about it. 

It was a bit of a toss up..we left yesterday lunchtime, and missed LCD sound system. Watched it at home, and wished I had stayed! So for those who are stuck, I hope you have made some happy memories that will make it worth it. Soon you will be home and this bit will fade from your mind. Good luck getting out soon and safe journey to all. 

We tried to turn our van round on Sunday afternoon for an easy getaway after the headliners, but got completely stuck in some ridiculous mud and had to be towed out. We then tried to park in a couple of other spaces but kept gettting stuck, so just had to leave.

Was surreal watching the end of the festival on the telly at home - but at least we had an easy journey and decent nights sleep.

Good luck to everyone trying to get out today, and let's hope for better conditions next year.