Football 16-17

kaosmark2

11 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

on beeb's brekkie earlier they pointed out he'd got 8 goals in his last 3 Chumps matches - rather astounding!

Yeah against good teams too. Himself and Messi are putting numbers in like we've never seen. Or likely to see. 

7 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Messi is still better

Probably, but who cares. They're both off the chart great. 

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What surprises me watching Ronaldo do his thing is how easy he makes it look. How easy he finds space or get in front of a defender. I would hate to have to mark him. Sometimes I look at the defenders, and due to Ronaldos constant movement they look as if simply give up trying to stick with him or track him.......... 

Edited by ThomThomDrum

He makes defenders look pathetic! Look at Gabi for the 3rd. Doesnt even bother tracking Ronaldo. And so Ronaldo has all the time in the world to take a touch in the box and slam it home. You have a professional responsibility to try and mark one of the best players of all time? Make at least an effort. Or Savic for the first! His determination to get to the ball and win it, or prevent Ronaldo from winning it was utterly feeble. 

13 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

He makes defenders look pathetic! Look at Gabi for the 3rd. Doesnt even bother tracking Ronaldo. And so Ronaldo has all the time in the world to take a touch in the box and slam it home. You have a professional responsibility to try and mark one of the best players of all time? Make at least an effort. Or Savic for the first! His determination to get to the ball and win it, or prevent Ronaldo from winning it was utterly feeble. 

The great players seem to have more time don't they? 

Interesting from Zidane last night saying Ronaldo "knows that sometimes he doesn't have to not play". Messi is similar. You don't see these boys chasing lost causes or sprinting back. 

Think thats what Zidane meant anyway.

15 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Sin binning to be trialled by the FA. 

not a fan if it is going to be for every yellow card. Yellows are waved about too regularly imo.

I would sin bin those yellows that commentators describe as 'a good foul to give away', and 'he's taken one for the team'. Basically cynical fouls to stop counters.

8 minutes ago, mjsell said:

not a fan if it is going to be for every yellow card. Yellows are waved about too regularly imo.

I would sin bin those yellows that commentators describe as 'a good foul to give away', and 'he's taken one for the team'. Basically cynical fouls to stop counters.

It's for dissent only from what I've read - to begin with....

Suspect time wasting will get worse.

Edited by TheGayTent

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

The great players seem to have more time don't they? 

They really do. Ill never forget the awe I used to watch Zidane with. Even at close quarters with multiple players breathing down on him he had all the time and space in the world. Lovely to watch. Mesmerising really. They think so quickly that they are multiple steps ahead of their opposing players and it makes them all look like monkeys trying to play football chasing them

15 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Ill never forget the awe I used to watch Zidane with. Even at close quarters with multiple players breathing down on him he had all the time and space in the world. Lovely to watch. Mesmerising really. 

Was balletic yeah.

2lnUvQe7ENW6c.gif

7 minutes ago, mjsell said:

(before his headbutt in the final) he was utterly majestic.

I thought that was pretty majestic, myself. :P

It's got to take some bottle to finish your career in a WC final by doing that. Messi might be prettier, but it'll be Zidane who'll still be commonly known 100 years from now. For the headbutt!

28 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I thought that was pretty majestic, myself. :P

It's got to take some bottle to finish your career in a WC final by doing that. Messi might be prettier, but it'll be Zidane who'll still be commonly known 100 years from now. For the headbutt!

I just wish he had done something with the trophy on his way off.

But, despite that headbutt, I would imagine in 100 years Messi and Ronaldo will be in the top tier of 'greatest evers', and be more remembered than Zidane - unless he carves himself out a world beating managerial career to go on top of everything else, which I wouldnt put past him. 

20 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

If they bring it in, I think it should be for the more serious yellow cards.

In hockey, there are green, yellow and red cards where the green is a booking,  yellow is a sinbin and red is sent off. 2 greens = a yellow. 

So they could do similar. Would rather that then a soft yellow being a sin binning. 

Have read somewhere that the trial is just sinbinning for dissent offences. 

What do you class as more serious yellows?

The inconsistencies with bookings for dissent between games will need to be resolved before sin binning will work for it properly. As ex-Refs on telly like Howard Webb say, he would always consider the impact brandishing a yellow would have on his control of the game. Meaning the same action in two different games may receive two different outcomes. If you add sin-binning into this equation then its dangerous grounds imo.

Edited by mjsell

2 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Dissent. Deliberate fouls as opposed to a mistimed tackle. Those ones where you think "it would be a harsh red, but a yellow seems lenient."

And for me, dissent should be dissent. No grey area, no inconsistency. I agree it needs sorting and a couple of seasons ago they seemed to be clamping down on it, but it appears to be creeping back in now. 

That's impossible though. Every rule is enforced as "in the opinion of the referee". Opinions equals inconsistencies.

Recognising dissent is easier for verbal cases, but what gestures constitute dissent? Plus the context of each match is hugely important in deciding what is and isnt dissent, the same gesture or action can mean two completely different things in two differing matches.

Another example is the debate we had a while back about diving (after the Suarez affair in the CL). My opinion is certainly harsher on players that appear to have dived than others. Take the Rashford incident at the weekend. I would say that it was a dive, but clearly many others would disagree with this - including the two pundits in the studio who wouldnt come out and say he dived. Football is a game based on opinions, but it is opinion that makes things like sin-bins another minefield to negotiate.

Looking very likely that it will be a Juve V Real CL final. Should be an interesting contest. The might of Skippy et al's fire power versus the impenetrable wall that is the Juve defense. Intriguing. Im sure most neutrals would like to see the aul lady bag it. Although history aint on their side. They have been the brides maid at this point in the competition way too often in the past and they will be up against a team whose CL final abilities speak for themselves having won it the last 5 finals they have made. 

3 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Looking very likely that it will be a Juve V Real CL final. Should be an interesting contest. The might of Skippy et al's fire power versus the impenetrable wall that is the Juve defense. Intriguing. Im sure most neutrals would like to see the aul lady bag it. Although history aint on their side. They have been the brides maid at this point in the competition way too often in the past and they will be up against a team whose CL final abilities speak for themselves having won it the last 5 finals they have made. 

looks like a certain tall guy wasn't so important to Juve's performance after all. :P

21 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Pogba.

He was claimed as the driving force of that team, and why he commanded such a high price

Them doing better in the Chumps this year suggests it wasn't that.

And Pogba's performances this season do too.

Ah right. I had no idea where you where coming from on that

22 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Neil will find an anti Man Utd angle in anything. 

This one is going to run all summer

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/may/03/kylian-mbappe-manchester-united-monaco

United realising they bought the wrong young Frenchman?

Do United really need a player like Mbappe? He's not overly different to Rashford or Martial. And similarly, he'll probably be wasted on the wing.

Edit: Unlike Neil, I don't mean Pogba.

Edited by mjsell