Football 16-17

kaosmark2

3 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Ah forgot about Young (easily done). Blind started as a defensive mid at Ajax.

Would Jose move Carrick to centre back at all?

Yeah he may have to but with Young there he can move Darmian infield instead. 

Matas back though which is great. 

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Injuries are an area where luck/unluckiness plays a very significant role.......Analysis into training style/playing style may prevent a few, but by and large its just down to shit luck as to who gets injured in any given season........

yep. Apart from with Arsenal and Sturridge. They'll both spend the season on sicknotes, it's guaranteed. :P

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

yep. Apart from with Arsenal and Sturridge. They'll both spend the season on sicknotes, it's guaranteed. :P

Weird that this has probably been one of our better seasons for injuries. Only Cazorla being a big one. A few minor ones here and there, but I don't remember there being a prolonged period where we were really struggling like in previous seasons. Maybe more injuries would have helped.

27 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Injuries are an area where luck/unluckiness plays a very significant role.......Analysis into training style/playing style may prevent a few, but by and large its just down to shit luck as to who gets injured in any given season........

Without any form of stats to back this up, I would guess there is a correlation between total games played during the season and number of injuries later on in the campaign.

If United make the Europa final they will play 64 games this season, I seem to rememeber someone saying the record is either 67 or 69 (not sure which)

Judging from Jose's comments about Shaw, Smalling and Jones being at fault for not playing through their injuries, i suspect at Man Utd they may have things getting worse before they get better if they rush players...

Spurs coped well with their injuries to Lamela, Kane and Dier this season. 

14 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Weird that this has probably been one of our better seasons for injuries. Only Cazorla being a big one. A few minor ones here and there, but I don't remember there being a prolonged period where we were really struggling like in previous seasons. Maybe more injuries would have helped.

:lol:

(but what you say I'd realised before making my post. It's been so regular before this season I thought it was still worth including)

14 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Without any form of stats to back this up, I would guess there is a correlation between total games played during the season and number of injuries later on in the campaign.

not sure that works great for liverpool this season, they've had a pretty light load with games.

3 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Pt - I see Wrexham have released virtually a whole team - things still not rosy down there?

that's not particularly unusual for lower league teams at the end of a season. They can get newbies in of similar nothing-special level, and they might find a gem amongst them.

Just as an example, Bristol Rovers released eight in the last few days.

6 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Pt - I see Wrexham have released virtually a whole team - things still not rosy down there?

They did exactly the same last season, unfortunately the (now ex) manager brought in a load of players worse than those we got rid of, so we fell from 8th to 13th in the league.  I dont think its too uncommon in the lower leagues as 1 year contracts are the norm. Its not great for stability though, although probably correct this season with the dross that was bought in.

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

that's not particularly unusual for lower league teams at the end of a season. They can get newbies in of similar nothing-special level, and they might find a gem amongst them.

Just as an example, Bristol Rovers released eight in the last few days.

Quite - doesn't often lead to success though....

2 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

They did exactly the same last season, unfortunately the (now ex) manager brought in a load of players worse than those we got rid of, so we fell from 8th to 13th in the league.  I dont think its too uncommon in the lower leagues as 1 year contracts are the norm. Its not great for stability though, although probably correct this season with the dross that was bought in.

Bothered that the captain is one of those released? 

24 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Yeah but the most successful teams (aka those who play the most football) are usually those that spend the most  money and so their squad depth should be able to see them through a season (in theory)..........

However, even teams who have less success/play less ball over the course of a season can be unlucky and be ravaged by injury in a given season. 

8 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

:lol:

(but what you say I'd realised before making my post. It's been so regular before this season I thought it was still worth including)

not sure that works great for liverpool this season, they've had a pretty light load with games.

Weirdly I do actually think that certain injuries for certain players can be a good thing for their and the clubs season in the long term. A season is long, with loads of games, sometimes a break away from the constant grind can do players a world of good and they then finish the season far stronger than they would have. I genuinely believe this is a factor in Arsenal's late season rallies of the past. 

29 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Quite - doesn't often lead to success though....

true, but it does get players off their books that clearly have no resale value, while those that replace them might have some.

That sort of churn is how the small clubs keep themselves going. If they pick up a kid released (say) by Man Utd, they might hit lucky with that kid and make a few quid in order for the club to keep going.