Hitchin Hill - 10 years, time for a change!

cheesey_toastie

I've always camped up at Hitchin' Hill and I think it's time for a change. What I like is being away from the river (been to too many wet ones), having a bit of a hill below me and being fairly close to the toilet blocks with long drops or the new compost toilets (camped once with only portaloos and it wasn't nice!). 

Would Paines or South Park 1/ 2 provide any of that? Would like to avoid the late night noise of Arcadia but also not be on the other side of the festival this year!

Advice appreciated - the reason I ask is we're arriving in the middle of the night this time :) 

Pylon has the new compost toilets - camp near the food marquee / toilets and you have a hill below you. It was fairly quiet last year in terms of noise, and you are a short walk to Silver Hayes, thus John Peel, Other stage - I found it very easy to get to last year.

22 minutes ago, phillyfaddle said:

Although I now use Worthy View, always used to camp in Spring Ground then Hitchin Hill. It's the best IMHO. You sure you want to move....?!! xx

No - my hand is being forced :) That said I am sick of the loooong walk back if I feel "naughty". The view in the morning from Hitchin' Hill is pretty much unbeatable though. 

Decisions, decisions! 

17 hours ago, cheesey_toastie said:

That said I am sick of the loooong walk back if I feel "naughty". The view in the morning from Hitchin' Hill is pretty much unbeatable though. 

Agree with both of those points. I used to get fed up with the trudge back (uphill) from the SE corner at 4AM. But...nowhere else has a 24/7 establishment of the quality of Loulou's within 5 mins of your tent either :-)

Just thought I'd contribute to your dilemma....:blink:

2 hours ago, phillyfaddle said:

Agree with both of those points. I used to get fed up with the trudge back (uphill) from the SE corner at 4AM. But...nowhere else has a 24/7 establishment of the quality of Loulou's within 5 mins of your tent either :-)

Just thought I'd contribute to your dilemma....:blink:

Did you ever camp on Hitchin' HIll and remember a bacon van that played Mika (the same song) on repeat for 2 days? I was ready to kill. 

23 hours ago, jumbomcnutt said:

Pylon has the new compost toilets - camp near the food marquee / toilets and you have a hill below you. It was fairly quiet last year in terms of noise, and you are a short walk to Silver Hayes, thus John Peel, Other stage - I found it very easy to get to last year.

That's where we're heading this year :)

Just now, jumbomcnutt said:

Excellent choice! :)

Last year was my first, arrived at 2pm on possibly the hottest day of the year. We ended up on the boarder of Hitchin Hill & Spring Ground. The only issue was it seemed fairly steep so slipped down my tent all night! Hope Pylon is a little flatter?

Just now, McCor said:

Last year was my first, arrived at 2pm on possibly the hottest day of the year. We ended up on the boarder of Hitchin Hill & Spring Ground. The only issue was it seemed fairly steep so slipped down my tent all night! Hope Pylon is a little flatter?

I didn't find myself slipping in my tent. There is a slope, but it is quite gradual to non existent in places.

18 hours ago, cheesey_toastie said:

Did you ever camp on Hitchin' HIll and remember a bacon van that played Mika (the same song) on repeat for 2 days? I was ready to kill. 

LOL :D Don't remember a bacon van - must have been nearer the top of the hill? We used to camp lower down just over the hedge from Spring Ground.