What happens Wednesday & Thursday?

Tomothy123

First time at Glastonbury and have read conflicting reports on what happens Wed/Thur... 

I'm sure I've read somewhere that there can be no amplified music on these days? does that mean only acoustic sets are played?

Are all the bars and food stalls open for business or just a selection? 

1 minute ago, Tomothy123 said:

First time at Glastonbury and have read conflicting reports on what happens Wed/Thur... 

I'm sure I've read somewhere that there can be no amplified music on these days? does that mean only acoustic sets are played?

Most bars and foodstalls are open although they seem to gradually open over the course of Wednesday.

There won't be live music on the main stages but there will certainly be DJs and some live music in the smaller venues. Check out the latest line up which shows a few things going on Wednesday and Thursday:

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/line-up/line-up-2016/

I love Wednesdays and Thursdays. It's a great chance to explore and ease yourself into the festival before it all kicks off on Friday. You'll have an amazing time!

It's hard I say what I actually do on weds and thurs - I just sort of wander around, look at cool things, and decide what I'm going to eat and drink.

When I see it written down like that it looks like I do bugger-all for two days! but it's very good for getting your bearings (you're about to get your mind blown by how big the place is) and generally getting used to the idea of sharing a large space with a lot of people, all wanting to do different things at different times. You'll learn not to go charging around like a madman just to catch the last 20 minutes of a set at the park, but to wander about and see what catches your eye. Plans are made to be ignored :lol:

They are the best days. It's meeting up with festival friends again, rediscovering how amazing and beautiful the festival site is, catching up on some smaller acts without the hubbub of the crowds, drinking too much pear cider, walking up to the Glastonbury sign above the Park to go 'wow', efest meet, not having to fret over what bands I'm missing, and these days if you're in the CV East it really starts Tuesday, simply sitting at the top of the hill of death early evening with plenty of others is in itself making it all worthwhile. 

Edited by Avalon_Fields

As a first timer I think you will be blown away by wednesday and thursday. It is on these two days that you really get to understand why Glastonbury is not just another music festival. Wednesday is relaxed as people set up and settle in, there will still be plenty of entertainment on in the bars and venues like the Rum Shack actually have acts on already. Thursday is a great day and for me Thursday night is my favourite night of the festival. There is loads of stuff on, bands on the non-major stages and dj's everywhere.

You'll be surprised how fun there is to be had before the 'festival' is meant to start. Enjoy!

1 hour ago, Tomothy123 said:

Weds & Thurs are my favourite days too. Whilst it may not sound like there's much on, the whole site is full of things to see and do. Like others have said it's a great time to explore and and an even better time to get yourself acquainted with the cider bus ;)

In answer to your question about music. It's not just acoustic sets - there's loads of amplified bands and DJs all over the place, including some 'secret' fairly big name bands in Williams Green on the Thurs evening. 

for me, the wednesday is for chilled exploring

thursday needs some kind of 'kick-off' moment, and this year mine will be Carnival Collective on Hell at 4pm, they're the most 'glastonbury' band I've ever seen and I see them several times every year (fri/sat/sun 11am outside circus stage always gets me going in the morning...). Later on thursday this year at 9pm Kate Tempest is on the Rum Shack, then she'll be sprinting over to hell to be on there at 10pm, I'm betting both sets will be amazing, so excited! After that, I'm tempted by Wheel Of Four Tunes on Sensation Seekers, as I've heard it's fun/bonkers :D

You're in for a (potentially life-changing) treat! Have a good one :)

Wednesday & Thursday are my favourite days. So relaxed, love wandering around the site taking everything in.

Still plenty to do! There will be loads of music on, but for me, it's the perfect time to just bimble and see what takes my fancy. And sample some of the culinary delights!

2 hours ago, Wooderson said:

People meet up with old friends and new and generally bimble around the place. Immensely pleasure.

Ah, this is what it's all about.  I love the thousands of interactions going on around you as you traverse the site.  On a Wednesday you can't walk more than 20 yards without seeing someone run up and hug a friend sharing massive grins.  

4 hours ago, Tomothy123 said:

I'm sure I've read somewhere that there can be no amplified music on these days

Its a complicated licensing/permit restriction.  I believe you need a license to have amplified sound above a certain power or dB output, but theres nothing stopping venues play music below those restrictions, same as you can in your back garden, as long as you're not a nuisance to your neighbours!  

So on Wednesday I don't think theres any permit so you pretty much have nothing higher than a large hifi system.  But as others have said this can actually be a really nice day to mull around and find some weird band in a tent or bandstand somewhere,  or watch the performers practice in the circus field.

On thursday there are actually some small stages which will have semi-loud music, williams green for example usually have some good indie bands on.  These are actually quite loud so i presume they must have some licensing for this, but certainly the "main" stages have nothing on. 

The complicated licensing also affects what volumes they can broadcast at night, at specific locations on the site.  The SE corner is known as the night area/naughty corner because its away from objecting local populations so they can squirt out moderately amplified sound until quite late at night, often as late as 6am for things like the hell stage.  This seems to extend across pennard hill, so places like Stonebridge seem to be okay to go on until the wee hours too, though no such luck for arcadia who stop at 3:30 and these days seem to be at quite a limited volume (and unless you're stood underneath it can be really quite quiet at times). 

Further north on site they are subject to more restrictions so they tend to stop at 3:30am, then theres nothing save the silent disco at silver hayes.  When silver hayes was called the "Dance Village" there was ironically very little dancing that went on there after around 2am, and people had flocked to the naughty corner!

I love Wednesday and Thursday, it's almost like a separate festival. great for getting your bearings and seeing what's new, meeting friends and having a drink. the main stages aren't open, but that's not to say there's no entertainment on. Plenty of live music or DJs in all the bars and small venues. have a look at the line up on the official app or website, you'll see there's loads going on. it's definitely not all acoustic either. Seth Troxler, Eats Everything & Joy Orbison are all playing Thursday night for instance. last year I was "clubbing" till 6am on the weds night/thurs morning. Plus there's the opening ceremony and bonfire/fireworks thing, you certainly won't be bored. As a campervanner I arrive Tuesday morning and enjoy every minute of it.

I actually have a bit of a line up of fun stuff for the Thursday which will keep me busy for most of it:

12pm New York Brass Band

17.05pm Electric Swing Circus

9pm Vodka Jellies

10pm The Church

11pm Wheel of Four Tunes

Then we will probably head somewhere for a little dance after.

Wednesday I mostly wander and take in the surroundings - enjoyed the opening ceremony last year so may head that way again. 

• 5 years later...
On 6/3/2016 at 9:41 AM, Tomothy123 said:

Lots of replies but might have been mentioned. On the Wednesday, as the sun dips beyond the horizon, there is a large fireworks display and bonfire at the stone circle/park (bonfire SC I believe). It's really a wonderful start to the festival. It's a ritual for our lot to be sitting on the park as the sun sets, breathing in the view, then the show.

Honestly after that, the world's your oyster. I'd suggest the Greenfields as a great place to explore on the Thursday daytime if you're wondering what to do. Once the music starts it'll probably fall by the wayside, but truly represents the true ethos of the festival. 

By 7pm Thursday, acts you and your lot may have heard of will start and you will be on your way.