Coolbox advice needed! Coleman vs Igloo.

sazindie

Not crazy, but not sure I'd fancy it, unless there's two of you taking a handle each. I've got a Coleman with wheels and providing it's dry it's quite strong and easy to manoeuvre. 

I dump mine in the most convenient lock up and then fill up a coolerbag rucksack as and when I need (or am close to the lockup) during the day. They obviously work better the lower the ambient temperature is and the lockup tent will definitely be cooler than your own.

As an aside in the Coleman vs Igloo, my mate has an Igloo and they seem to be as good as each other. It's all in the prep as mentioned earlier in the thread.

4 hours ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Old thread but didn't want to start a new one. Looking at a 66l coleman, would it be crazy to consider being able to carry this full of beer from the car park?

I struggle to help my husband get our loaded 72L Igloo Maxcold from the house to the car - which is about 10 metres! 

11 hours ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Old thread but didn't want to start a new one. Looking at a 66l coleman, would it be crazy to consider being able to carry this full of beer from the car park?

I'd go back to the car for a 2nd trip once in and tent setup. Take the coolbox and alcohol in together but buy the ice from co-op on site

I'm sure this goes without saying... If it's a muddy year, you don't want to be relying on the wheels on the cooler transport it.  The wheels are too small and it's too close to the ground.  The wheels will stick and you'll just end up gathering mud in front of the cooler whilst you try to pull it.  Seen this mistake being made year after year. If muddy, you'll need a trolley or a cooler you can carry.

On 5/16/2022 at 11:23 PM, StoneCircle said:

My Igloo Maxcold lasts 7 days! It's all down to a 5 litre pre-frozen bottle and topping with ice and minimal opening!

If that’s the case then, If I were starting again I’d probably spend the extra. Though the Coleman suits me as rarely need it for more than 3 days. I’ve only ever used it with those freezer blocks and haven’t tried ice. And, to be honest, I’m not that careful with minimal opening as use it for both food and drinks. It’s quite robust too. Definitely worth the money if you need something that stays cold way longer than the average cheap cool box. 

Edited by PassingCloud

On 5/12/2011 at 12:46 PM, JodiB said:

As the heading suggests here are a few tips on using your coolbox effectively.

If you don't already have a coolbox and are planning on getting one then I suggest buying the biggest one you can afford but avoid buying the cheap supermarket ones because they are next to useless. They don't actually have any insulation in them just a pretend vaccuum. Coleman extreme or igloo are very good ones for example. They also make for good seating.

Forget using those blue iceblocks or bags of ice. Instead use frozen 500ml water bottles. Frozen water bottles melt a lot slower compared with using ice and you don't get water sloshing around your the bottom of your coolbox. When the water bottles are melted you then have icey cold water to drink.

Try to always completely fill your coolbox and open the lid as infrequently as possible. (air warms up quicker than matter or something like that)

Best tip is this:

"Pre-charge" your coolbox before using it.

About 2 to 3 days before the festival completely fill your coolbox with the frozen water bottles, close the lid and leave it.

The night before the festival take out about half the bottles and re-freeze. The remaining bottles should still be mostly frozen at this point and still capable of keeping your box very very cold inside.

In the morning just before you set off take out the bottles in the box and put to one side for another time or use them for the journey. Fill up your coolbox with your goodies and as many re-frozen water bottles as you can, obviously the more the better. Also it is obviously best if your goodies are also as cold as possible before putting in the box.

Using this method with a coleman extreme for me means I get ice cold drinks and water for 6 days (even when I end up cooling a six pack or 2 for neighbours too). Also if I need ice I simply break open a frozen water bottle and smash it up a bit.

Enjoy your fest to the best.

3 hours ago, PassingCloud said:

If that’s the case then, If I were starting again I’d probably spend the extra. Though the Coleman suits me as rarely need it for more than 3 days. I’ve only ever used it with those freezer blocks and haven’t tried ice. And, to be honest, I’m not that careful with minimal opening as use it for both food and drinks. It’s quite robust too. Definitely worth the money if you need something that stays cold way longer than the average cheap cool box. 

The Coleman is rated the same as an Igloo. See the tips above on pre-chilling, it really extends the length of time and I am a firm believer in ice cubes filling the gaps as the drinks and frozen water keep the water from the melted in ice cold, which in turn keeps the drinks cold. We also have fitted a clasp closure to outs to ensure the lid stays shut when travelling. There are loads of other tips in the linked thread on the 1st page of this thread. 👍

My Yeti cooler stayed cold for 6 days in proper heat camping last year with minimal opening, but nothing too OTT. We used it a fair bit. HOWEVER, the ice melted within 1 day when I used it for work as a diet coke fridge at a conference. So the amount you open it (and i suspect people leaving it open... poor stewardship of the communal diet cokes) definitely makes a difference.

Whilst performing a pre-glastonbury itinery check I found that my trusty Igloo Maxcold 62 Island Breeze Roller Cool box a veteran of 6 previous Glastonbury's has got a crack in the bottom, this has been one of my best festival purchases as with pre-chilling it's provided me with cold beverages all weekend long and it's wheels even survived the sticky mud conditions of 2016! So I'm now in the market for a replacement, has anyone tried Igloo Latitude 62 Roller cool box and can share some insight on how this compares to the now discontinued Maxcold Island Breeze range?