Lineup 2018

1 hour ago, JSmurphy said:

King Giz, Ezra Furham, Carpenter Brut, Idles and Cigarettes After Sex for Rock en Seine. Here's hoping they're all in the next R&L announcement. 

Well King Giz and Ezra Furman are in the area already because of Green Man and EOTR so I don't think that's any indication of either being likely for R&L. Doubt they'll play.

Other ones maybe, IDLES seem an obvious pick for early main. Although they're also at EOTR so again them being for Rock en Seine doesn't mean much.

16 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

What the fuck does "I don't know why you like me but I do" mean ffs. Fucking Wombats they were terrible when they first appeared and now they're terrible and a decade old. Get rid of em ffs.

Someone explain this to me it doesn't make sense.

It's like me saying "I don't know why people are listening to The Wombats again but I do". It's impossible to both know and not know. And I don't know because why on earth in 2018 would you be listening to The Wombats?

Just now, Gucci Piggy said:

Someone explain this to me it doesn't make sense.

It's like me saying "I don't know why people are listening to The Wombats again but I do". It's impossible to both know and not know. And I don't know because why on earth in 2018 would you be listening to The Wombats?

The song's actually called "I don't know why I like you, but I do" 

I'm still quite surprised how popular the Wombats have become once more, they seemed to seriously drop off after Glitterbug. I wasn't a fan of that album at all and decided not to see them on the tour of that album, although this new one I think is seriously great. 

25 minutes ago, TheDHolford said:

I'm still quite surprised how popular the Wombats have become once more, they seemed to seriously drop off after Glitterbug. I wasn't a fan of that album at all and decided not to see them on the tour of that album, although this new one I think is seriously great. 

Were they even popular first time round? I always thought they were the shite bastard child of Kooks and Pigeon Detectives back then and much more forgettable than that pair. They should’ve disappeared after that awful Christmas song years ago. 

1 minute ago, Retro P said:

Were they even popular first time round? I always thought they were the shite bastard child of Kooks and Pigeon Detectives back then and much more forgettable than that pair. They should’ve disappeared after that awful Christmas song years ago. 

I agree but Wombling Merry Christmas is great so lay off.

12 minutes ago, Retro P said:

I think they were always quite popular, maybe not as much as the kooks (though how they played arenas on their last tour I have no idea), but I’d have said bigger than pigeon detectives, their career kinda went down the pan after a few not so good albums. They certainly got to o2 academy size before dropping down a bit and are now selling out 2 nights in each city or so it seems, same with Vaccines really. 

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

@Gucci Piggy do you know where to find that picture - I’m sure you remember it - of Alex Turner at an awards ceremony looking like a wet dog? From the 2014 aka peak bullshit year thread. I need it bad.

I'm actually not sure which picture you mean I just have this picture of him being a vandal but kindly offering to pay for the damages.

download.jpeg

1 minute ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I'm actually not sure which picture you mean I just have this picture of him being a vandal but kindly offering to pay for the damages.

download.jpeg

Ah no it’s not that one. I think it was a picture I posted here captioned “that rock n roll eh”, naturally, and it was before some awards ceremony where some reporter was taking pictures of people there and the Al Turner one was face on and horrid and they must have deleted it. I’m gonna persevere and show you it.

1 hour ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Oh, nice one Mattymooz.

Pffft knew it was something long and couldnt be bothered to look it up :P

2 hours ago, TheDHolford said:

I think they were always quite popular, maybe not as much as the kooks (though how they played arenas on their last tour I have no idea), but I’d have said bigger than pigeon detectives, their career kinda went down the pan after a few not so good albums. They certainly got to o2 academy size before dropping down a bit and are now selling out 2 nights in each city or so it seems, same with Vaccines really. 

They only did 2 albums before their "hiatus" though (I know they technically didnt have a haitus but they were pretty inactive in the 5 years or however long it took them to release their new album). IMO their lead singer just has a pretty unique voice and they just make really solid indie rock. It aint anything amazing or anything, they're just make very consistently good, generic, upbeat indie rock that appeals to most audiences.

IMO they're better than people like The Kooks who had a pretty successful first album but have done nothing since then. Wombats have at least tried different styles and instruments throughout their albums (Glitterbug had more two-door-esque synths, their new one has more electronic baselines, just got a new touring drummer etc.).

2 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

They only did 2 albums before their "hiatus" though (I know they technically didnt have a haitus but they were pretty inactive in the 5 years or however long it took them to release their new album). IMO their lead singer just has a pretty unique voice and they just make really solid indie rock. It aint anything amazing or anything, they're just make very consistently good, generic, upbeat indie rock that appeals to most audiences.

IMO they're better than people like The Kooks who had a pretty successful first album but have done nothing since then. Wombats have at least tried different styles and instruments throughout their albums (Glitterbug had more two-door-esque synths, their new one has more electronic baselines, just got a new touring drummer etc.).

I agree about the lead singer, I'd never seen anything about them live before and was quite shocked this time when his voice sounded as good live as it did on the album. That's what I think, for me they're one of the best artists in the indie rock spectrum, willing to try out new sounds with each album, something, which like The Kooks or Hunna don't seem to bother with, sticking to the sound that gets them their hit and churning out the same album every couple of years. 

1 hour ago, TheDHolford said:

I agree about the lead singer, I'd never seen anything about them live before and was quite shocked this time when his voice sounded as good live as it did on the album. That's what I think, for me they're one of the best artists in the indie rock spectrum, willing to try out new sounds with each album, something, which like The Kooks or Hunna don't seem to bother with, sticking to the sound that gets them their hit and churning out the same album every couple of years. 

I think also if you look at the wombats biggest 'hits' from each album - greek tragedy, joy division, tokyo and lemon to a knife fight they are all very different songs. They have versatility which makes them stand out from most other indie bands.

Please note that I'm not saying that it needs to go back to the way it used to be or that the change is a bad thing - but the guy in the video keeps saying "that's what the kids are listening to! It's always booked what the kids are listening to!" - I don't buy that. I don't believe that in 2011 16 year olds listened to The National, Interpol, Janes Addiction etc, in 2013 NIN and so on. I think that the festival has definitely moved in a more mainstream direction and further focused on what the kids are listening to. Which is fine, but I don't completely agree with that idea.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Steve1000 said:

Please note that I'm not saying that it needs to go back to the way it used to be or that the change is a bad thing - but the guy in the video keeps saying "that's what the kids are listening to! It's always booked what the kids are listening to!" - I don't buy that. I don't believe that in 2011 16 year olds listened to The National, Interpol, Janes Addiction etc, in 2013 NIN and so on. I think that the festival has definitely moved in a more mainstream direction and further focused on what the kids are listening to. Which is fine, but I don't completely agree with that idea.

IMO it's more the demographic has changed. Nowadays it's way more teens first solo festival than it used to be. It's like a rite of passage for post GCSE kids who go and get drunk/high for a weekend for a couple years and then move on to bigger fests or more niche fests.

I aint sure it was anywhere near as bad in the past as it is now in that regard. Sure their are out there bookings every year (how many kids listen to KoRn nowadays) but I think on the whole it caters to that audience a lot more because thats where the majority of ticket sales occur now for this fest at least

3 hours ago, UndergroundSound said:

Stumbled across this video on youtube and imo he hits the nail on the head pretty much, give it a watch. done a couple of other vids like it which i was also impressed with so i've subbed. - no its not dudey.

Pretty sure I argued with this guy on twitter a couple times. Stuff like youtube views (which is crap as they are international not just the UK, rock always does badly with streaming, they are more album bands so people wont be listening to individual songs on YT etc.)

"You want exclusives" imo is kinda stupid. There are plenty of bands out there touring that I aint sure how much exclusives play a part. UK exclusives are probably the most important thing (especially given R&L demographic) but thats the case with most international acts who do the europe run over august like Kendrick is doing this year.

"its part of getting older" is also BS. My sister is only 17 and she thinks its a pile of shite lineup too. Going by his maths if a persons favourite songs are recorded when they're 14, her favourite stuff came out in 2015, not late 2000's when KoL and FoB were most popular...

• Like 1

fair enough to both of those points made by @Steve1000 and @Mattymooz , I agree the demographic has changed pretty dramatically so his point about "what the kids are listening to" isnt as valid with older years. But although i don't agree literally with his point about "getting older", I definitely agree with the concept of the ideas made around that subject, that kids around the main demographics age (I'd say 16-20) are still shaping and discovering huge amounts of music that's relevant at the time so the lineup is better for them, than say the average 30-year-old attendee who is likely to have established their main body of music taste when they were younger making the lineup look less positive for them as the lineup as a whole is very current.

On a side note, i just counted all the artists that i'm excited for at Reading and there is about 35 acts that I like and at least 15 acts that I'm a big fan of so far on the lineup. This year is actually looking a lot better for me than i originally thought.

Edited by UndergroundSound

3 hours ago, Steve1000 said:

I saw 3 of those 4 bands at Leeds and they all got terrible crowds. In the years I went (2011-2013) all the acts like those got awful crowds and it was clear that they'd be better off booking more relevant acts instead. In 2013 especially they were spread so thinly throughout the lineup that the odd couple of acts in this vein probably weren't drawing many people in for the day/weekend (whereas in 2011 you had Interpol and The National as part of top 3s made up of Muse/Elbow/Interpol and The Strokes/Pulp/The National).

They're better off not bothering trying to coax in a few older attendees with these acts and just focusing on making the lineup as strong as possible for their actual demographic. If that means booking The Wombats over My Bloody Valentine then so be it.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I saw 3 of those 4 bands at Leeds and they all got terrible crowds. In the years I went (2011-2013) all the acts like those got awful crowds and it was clear that they'd be better off booking more relevant acts instead. In 2013 especially they were spread so thinly throughout the lineup that the odd couple of acts in this vein probably weren't drawing many people in for the day/weekend (whereas in 2011 you had Interpol and The National as part of top 3s made up of Muse/Elbow/Interpol and The Strokes/Pulp/The National).

They're better off not bothering trying to coax in a few older attendees with these acts and just focusing on making the lineup as strong as possible for their actual demographic. If that means booking The Wombats over My Bloody Valentine then so be it.

Yep, so be it. But you can't look at that lineup and say the festivals booking policy hasn't changed and that they've always only booked what teenagers are listening to.

FWIW I don't even like The National and quite like Janes and Interpol but I'm not that fussed about them, if it's better for the festival than go for it. I'm not trying to be Chinaski, just pointing out that I don't think what he was saying is true.