Lineup 2018

42 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

And ten years ago - the lineups people fantasise over - were just as riddled with repeats as it is now. Bloc Party played NME headline>3rd>sub>sub in successive years!

But no one fantasises over them, we do over the good bands. Imo, Jack White, The National and Tame Impala are all touring this year and would be fresh bookings compared to the same boring repeats. 

5 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

And regarding acts not getting enough numbers, Wolf Alice's latest album did better than Fall out Boy's most recent album on the first week. Heck Fall Out Boy have never had a no. 1 album, but Royal Blood, The National (who admittedly arent that R&L imo), London Grammar (again maybe not that R&L), Bastille and The XX have done recently.

Now this aint saying that all the above are appropriate to headline, but they could have done a heck of a lot better in those top spots. Heck The Kooks' last album debuted at 16 on the charts...

Kooks and Fall Out Boy are arena headliners though and they have to appeal to people that want to see them live more so than people who streamed their album. Especially when the band is as long in the tooth as those acts, lots just care fore the ancient hits.

3 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

heck

They split up boo.

42 minutes ago, TapeRecorder said:

Can imagine we are scientists or ash appearing on the festival republic stage 

Ash play it every few years but they did it last year so won’t  be back. WAS might happen, they haven’t played FR since 2014.

42 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

But no one fantasises over them, we do over the good bands. Imo, Jack White, The National and Tame Impala are all touring this year and would be fresh bookings compared to the same boring repeats. 

Book ‘good bands’ is a novel approach, but they have to book bands that the target audience thinks is good, because most people who those acts appeal to have moved on to festivals that they play.

Tame Impala I’m not including in that but this is like the fourth summer of them doing the Currents tour so wouldn’t be that ‘fresh’ really.

16 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

You don't know that they're not tbf. Although releasing stage splits a week after the initial announcement does suggest desperation.

I remember when they used to sell out as soon as the line up was released. 

22 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Book ‘good bands’ is a novel approach, but they have to book bands that the target audience thinks is good, because most people who those acts appeal to have moved on to festivals that they play.

Tame Impala I’m not including in that but this is like the fourth summer of them doing the Currents tour so wouldn’t be that ‘fresh’ really.

By good bands I mean your "wow they're playing" bookings. I'm not sure The Courteeners and The Vaccines fit that criteria.

These people have stopped attending because they've stopped booking these bands. 

2 minutes ago, shammie1 said:

Anyone know why slaves are booked as ‘special guests?’ I love em but I don’t know what makes the more special than any other band?

usually a term used to shove an artist on a lineup lower then they should be. keeps them satisfied with being like 3rd down on the nme when slaves played like 4th down on the main stage in 2016 x

Edited by ket
  • Upvote 1

I find it weird how there are some ridiculously obvious R&L acts who they just don't seem to book. For instance they haven't booked Catfish once since they made it big-time (last appearance was 3rd down NME in 2015) or Stormzy since he played the 1xtra the other year. Unless they plan to have Stormzy headline next year why not book him as a sub this year? Why not book Catfish as a sub last year (as shit as they are)?

Probably reasons behind it but just strikes me as odd. All those reprobates on Twitter screaming for Arctic Monkeys would also rip their cocks off for Catfish so how come they're never booked yet Panic! at the Disco are? I'm sure they'd have gone down better than Bastille subbing Kasabian last year, too.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I find it weird how there are some ridiculously obvious R&L acts who they just don't seem to book. For instance they haven't booked Catfish once since they made it big-time (last appearance was 3rd down NME in 2015) or Stormzy since he played the 1xtra the other year. Unless they plan to have Stormzy headline next year why not book him as a sub this year? Why not book Catfish as a sub last year (as shit as they are)?

Probably reasons behind it but just strikes me as odd. All those reprobates on Twitter screaming for Arctic Monkeys would also rip their cocks off for Catfish so how come they're never booked yet Panic! at the Disco are? I'm sure they'd have gone down better than Bastille subbing Kasabian last year, too.

aye, i’ve been wondering this. seems like they’re missing out a booking that would guarantee to go down well with a good crowd

5 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Ehh Stormzy is a bigger booking for their other festivals with narrower pools of acts to choose from (Creamfields/V last year, Wireless this year) and I think they probably are prepping him to play next year. Doesn't seem that big a miss really.

Catfish and the Bottlemen seem set on playing for as many paydays as possible and R+L aren't really into their major acts doing that I don't think.

That new V fest incarnation seems to be going in a not-totally-pop direction, maybe earlier comments about some bigger pop acts in the R&L lineup being booked to try and pick up some of the demographic of V were correct?

EDIT: Granted is quite a bit of pop in that RiZE announcement but you can't look at that and say it's similar to recent V lineups.

Edited by TheWaters

1 minute ago, TheWaters said:

That new V fest incarnation seems to be going in a not-totally-pop direction, maybe earlier comments about some bigger pop acts in the R&L lineup being booked to try and pick up some of the demographic of V were correct?

But RiZE is still more pop-orientated than R&L is. People who are put off by it moving from all pop to mostly pop with some indie thrown in aren't going to be more enamoured with R&L which has even less pop mixed in with all different kinds of rock/indie.

I guess the difference is that RiZE seems to be targetting an older/more family-based demographic, and the more trendy pop acts such as Dua Lipa are probably a better fit at 2018 R&L even though it's not something that's not tended to be booked here in the past.

Maybe I'm imagining things, but I'm sure way back in 2013 there was discussion about the festival having a new lead booker (with Melvin taking a more general managerial role), is this right or am I losing the plot? As it could just be that the new booker is just a bit shit.

I really don't think that the problem with the line up is that The Kooks or The Wombats are playing @Mattymooz, The Kooks are having a resurgence, and, whilst I only went back as far as 2006, but I don't think either band has played main in their whole careers, and certainly not in the past 12 years. The problem with the line up is the shit headliners (minus Kendrick, even if I don't get the hype, he's so obviously the best thing about the line up), Dua Lipa (like wtf is she actually doing playing the festival?), and shit like The Vaccines playing the exact same slot that they've already played twice, like wtf? And to make it worse the last did that slot 2 years ago, they shouldn't be on main again it's stupid, and you don't even have to add anybody to make it better, just swap them with Wolf Alice and instantly it looks miles better, you've got an exciting band that still on the up playing a prominent main stage slot on the day that would arguably suit them best, and you're letting another band that's been a bit stagnant for a bit still stay relevant but letting them show you (the bookers) what kind of a show they can pull as a headliner should they get a bit of wind in their sails again. The other bad booking is The Courteeners, they're never away from the festival, and are only really significant in Leeds and Manchester, and yes I know it's a selling point for Leeds festival, but they do huge shows up here all the time anyway (Leeds and Manchester Arena's alongside the Old Trafford gig within the past 15 ish months) in the rest of the country they're a middling Academy band. It's ridiculous.

I also really don't understand why Royal Blood haven't been booked. Melvin could at least then have some sort of backing with what he said the other day, as we'd be having 2 brand new headliners this year (assuming FOB were fucked off), with both being arguably the most exciting acts from their genres that have the necessary size to back the slot up.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the undercard tbh.

EDIT: @JSmurphy Yeah so did I, so there, instantly we have 2 bands (one we know is around) who could have been booked to make the festival less shit (so a top of the bill looking like:

KOL/30STM/Wolf Alice

Kendrick/PATD/Dua Lipa

Royal Blood/Travis Scott/The Kooks

The line up makes no sense and it seems like it was chucked together last minute.

Edited by KingPin