Lineup 2018

9 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

GET GASLIGHT TO R+L!

Third down would be a weird spot tbh, given they dropped back to sixth last time they played. That being said, stick it on the Foos day, they will get a crowd.

NME headline slot versus Kendrick perhaps?

Seems like an empty tent risk right there. Can’t help but feel the slots they’re likely to get are ones that couldn’t house a full album set, and given what Andre said about NFG the festival isn’t likely to grant special dispensation to complete that. So I dunno but I’d imagine high NME or mid main at this point and maybe they forgo the ‘album in full’ thing or just try to fit it in regardless. It’s wild that this band were in arenas five years ago.

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Is there any form for ‘album in full’ sets from non-headliners? They do seem likely now tho given they were a fixture once upon a time.

Also I think any Diplo project nowadays stands a good chance of appearing at R+L.

Jimmy Eat World played Futures in full on the lock up in 2014 after their main stage set.

I feel like Gaslight might not neccesarily be all that likely, 2000 Trees have said they've got their 'biggest ever American headliner' which I think they would fit, and I'm pretty sure they delayed their line up release so they might have been waiting for them to announce their reunion. Also, them doing the 59 Sound in full kind of feels like a more natural thing for a headline set. Obviously they could play both but I don't see two full 59S sets at UK festivals.

Edit: Also, that GovBall hidden name is probably Lorde and another artist

Edited by Rylbld9

So the Governors ball not being headlined or played by Green Day, does that extinguished any hope they all play, I believe it does. No other dates planned and that was our backup if our prediction wasn't correct for most of us. Though it would make a Worldwide Festival Exclusive. 

Just want it to be announced, we have waited ages.

16 minutes ago, Rylbld9 said:

I feel like Gaslight might not neccesarily be all that likely, 2000 Trees have said they've got their 'biggest ever American headliner' which I think they would fit, and I'm pretty sure they delayed their line up release so they might have been waiting for them to announce their reunion. Also, them doing the 59 Sound in full kind of feels like a more natural thing for a headline set. Obviously they could play both but I don't see two full 59S sets at UK festivals.

I don't think 2000 Trees actually delayed their announcement - they don't tend to announce until after Christmas anyway.  There was a strange episode where it looked like they were about to announce something one day and then didn't, and then on Christmas Day they sort of announced the announcement (by saying they would announce all three soon, including a Thursday main stage headliner for the first time).

In the thing about 'biggest ever American band' they also said something along the lines of 'one of those names we've always sat and thought wouldn't it be great to be able to book them' (but it's never been possible) so it does sound like a reunion / much awaited comeback, and/or someone who is dropping down the line ups and has come within reach for them.

Not R&L related I know.

7 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

So the Governors ball not being headlined or played by Green Day, does that extinguished any hope they all play, I believe it does. No other dates planned and that was our backup if our prediction wasn't correct for most of us. Though it would make a Worldwide Festival Exclusive. 

Just want it to be announced, we have waited ages.

yeah i'm not predicting Green Day at all now, although I have no doubt that they will headline r&l as soon as their next album is out. (but 2018 still isnt impossible)

Edited by Jack w

The Gaslight Anthem aren't going to be playing 3rd down at R&L even with The 59 Sound, doubt they'll even play if this is more than a one off. Got a sparse crowd at Leeds in 2015 aand would much prefer them to do their own shows where they'd get a better reception. 

48 minutes ago, Rylbld9 said:

Jimmy Eat World played Futures in full on the lock up in 2014 after their main stage set.

Edit: Also, that GovBall hidden name is probably Lorde and another artist

2000trees have their first announcement in January. Brian Fallon is meant to be there though but he's playing solo so maybe they'll crop up there

26 minutes ago, WFD said:

In the thing about 'biggest ever American band' they also said something along the lines of 'one of those names we've always sat and thought wouldn't it be great to be able to book them' (but it's never been possible) so it does sound like a reunion / much awaited comeback, and/or someone who is dropping down the line ups and has come within reach for them.

Not R&L related I know.

Or maybe it's just when they started they were just like "How crazy would it be if we booked x one year." I wouldn't read too much into it really. 

3 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Seems like an empty tent risk right there. Can’t help but feel the slots they’re likely to get are ones that couldn’t house a full album set, and given what Andre said about NFG the festival isn’t likely to grant special dispensation to complete that. So I dunno but I’d imagine high NME or mid main at this point and maybe they forgo the ‘album in full’ thing or just try to fit it in regardless. It’s wild that this band were in arenas five years ago.

Half-arenas to be fair. Handwritten was a strong hit and catalogue seller - and The 59 Sound has gone Gold. Definitely feel there's an appetite for a full-album performance of it here, and a big one too.

But you're bang on about the risk and Andre makes a good point too. Love 'em, but they're no major pull at R+L, having never got past sixth on main - and they don't feel like a band for whom a reunion has been clamouring, particularly after Get Hurt failed to carry on Handwritten's momentum.

If there's a festival show in the UK for them, I think I'd wager Download over here. It would have been a good headline booking for Slam Dunk. If anything, think it could be very similar to Interpol with Turn On the Bright Lights - an Ally Pally show, plus one other. They're guaranteed sell-outs, I'd reckon.

I did wonder in December whether QOTSA were lined up for the first announcement and then they pushed it back due to the incident with Josh.

Also saw today that it looks like The Distillers are making a return this year - hopefully will see them play.