Lineup 2018

26 minutes ago, gregbanks said:

Neighbourhood Weekender is the best indie festival other than TRNSMT

Neighbourhood Weekender in the North (Although, they used up most of the dark fruits bands this year so not really sure what they can do other than alternating Gallagher brothers and finding some other headliner to rotate with Courteeners) and Community in London.

Saw a total of 23 acts over the weekend, here is my ranking of them:

1. Slaves
2. Fall Out Boy
3. The Wombats
4. Courteeners
5. Spector
6. Fickle Friends
7. The Vaccines
8. The Kooks
9. Mike Shinoda
10. Dua Lipa
11. DMA's
12. Paul McCaffrey
13. Sum41
14. Kendrick Lamar
15. Bring Me The Horizon
16. Deaf Havana
17. Skindred
18. Brand New Friend
19. Panic! At The Disco
20. Trashboat
21. Travis Scott
22. Kings of Leon
23. Kolsch

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, danz026 said:

Neighbourhood Weekender in the North (Although, they used up most of the dark fruits bands this year so not really sure what they can do other than alternating Gallagher brothers and finding some other headliner to rotate with Courteeners) and Community in London.

The rumours are that Ian Brown and Catfish are to headline with 1975 and LG as a backup if they aren’t able to land them

16 minutes ago, danz026 said:

Flares at DMA's gigs is because Liam Fray is a big supporter of DMA's and thus there is a lot of fanbase crossover between them and Courteeners, whose fans have always been big on setting flares off. Courteeners and DMA's on the same bill on the same day is always going to lead to loads of flares on the crowd.

That was my guess, I want a Blossoms, Courteeners and DMA's day next year (since thats how quickly they'll probably invite them back) I think you were the one who told me about Blossoms after their APE performance. Blossoms had something going at least but DMAs seemed very slow and dire.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Who else are they supposed to book? The alternatives are likely even more outdated and irrelevant. The ones that people are posting on this thread certainly are.

I dunno if the footage is deceiving but the likes of The Wombats, The Kooks, The Vaccines all seemed to get pretty big crowds belting out the words to newer songs - Two Door's crowd last year (I imagine they'd be classed there if The Vaccines are) was reportedly humongous. Just cos they've been around a while doesn't mean people don't know 'em. And we've gone over it plenty but some of these bands are about as big as they've ever been. Really doesn't seem like the problem to me. Maybe yr problem should be with stagnant indie rock as a whole.

Would be a poor do if someone with as good musical taste could not pick better bands to play than Kooks, Vaccines and Courteeners. 

I appreciate we all have different taste, for me personally I would like to see them book something different like Alice Cooper, Gary Numan or something like that. 

There was nothing out of the ordinary this year, not even a Korn or Five Finger Death Punch that people don't usually get to see at Leeds (and Reading).

• Upvote 2

Got back early last night but had a fantastic weekend at Reading!

Pretty much all of the acts I caught were great. I was a little disappointed with Kendrick due to the crowd being dead where I was stood. I saw him at the o2 arena shows and had such a good time so hard not to compare.

Too many young ones collapsing in the middle of the field with their eyes rolling around for my liking. Not nice to see but kudos to the volunteers and security on hand.

The lineup wasn't as iconic as the years gone by but I do think the music scene is changing sadly.

Think this was the first year of the 7 I've done where I've felt noticeably older (at 23) but also I think the crowds for the few sets I was right in for were much better than previous years. BMTH was a brilliant set and the perfect length of time for a casual listener like myself, also thought Nothing But Thieves and Post Malone were great from day one. Brockhampton was incredible and instantly within my top 3 festival sets ever, quite a few other decent sets on the Saturday but thought Kendrick was rather underwhelming which was a shame. Sunday was a bit of a write-off for obvious reasons, but of the few sets I did catch, Don Broco's had a crazy atmosphere within the front.

27 minutes ago, thisisthesam said:

Got back early last night but had a fantastic weekend at Reading!

Pretty much all of the acts I caught were great. I was a little disappointed with Kendrick due to the crowd being dead where I was stood. I saw him at the o2 arena shows and had such a good time so hard not to compare.

Too many young ones collapsing in the middle of the field with their eyes rolling around for my liking. Not nice to see but kudos to the volunteers and security on hand.

The lineup wasn't as iconic as the years gone by but I do think the music scene is changing sadly.

Wait, what? Was there a dodgy batch of drugs doing the rounds or something? Haven't seen any reports on deaths at Reading or at Leeds for that matter.

• Downvote 1

Just now, danz026 said:

Wait, what? Was there a dodgy batch of drugs doing the rounds or something? Haven't seen any reports on deaths at Reading or at Leeds for that matter.

I don't think there's been any deaths but over the weekend I saw about 5-6 young kids in a really bad way, eyes gone and volunteers putting them into recovery positions. Obviously don't know their limits but some of them were collapsing at midday sets.

Maybe I'm showing my age aha.

2 minutes ago, danz026 said:

He didn't say they died...

I had three different people collapse in front of me before Kendrick in the space of about 10 minutes.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

@Mattymooz can you come thru with some clashfinder statistics please? You only seemed to post them before we actually knew what stage anyone was on. :P

Sorry, I've been away for most of the summer so havent been on my computer to keep track + post those stats. I'll see what I can whip up on my phone quickly for you now.

I'm going home briefly this weekend so will sort out the graph and shit then so its easier to see.

44 minutes ago, she bangs the drums said:

Would be a poor do if someone with as good musical taste could not pick better bands to play than Kooks, Vaccines and Courteeners. 

I appreciate we all have different taste, for me personally I would like to see them book something different like Alice Cooper, Gary Numan or something like that. 

There was nothing out of the ordinary this year, not even a Korn or Five Finger Death Punch that people don't usually get to see at Leeds (and Reading).

Why would a 20 year old in fairness be that bothered about Gary Numan or Alice Cooper?...they probably don't even know Gary. It's not worth booking for the 20 people that would attend.

The likes of The Vaccines although quickly and The Kooks in particular I think are benefiting from a new age of people who haven't seen them yet.

The thing is now that the festival is going to primarily book what is hot at that time as that's how much is now and whoever drops off a couple of years later that's it for them. A loads of flash in the pan acts that get big off of one or two songs and people buy into it.

15 minutes ago, danz026 said:

The fact the 1st thought it drugs says everything for why I don't touch them. It's not even thought it would be alcohol and tbh they would just be swaying more than anything if alcohol.

24 minutes ago, thisisthesam said:

I don't think there's been any deaths but over the weekend I saw about 5-6 young kids in a really bad way, eyes gone and volunteers putting them into recovery positions. Obviously don't know their limits but some of them were collapsing at midday sets.

Maybe I'm showing my age aha.

Yeah,saw quite a few unconscious people being treated

Strangely enough, I went into town on the Sunday night and saw an unconscious person being treated on the floor.Not sure if he had been in the festival though.

Also thought that Wolf Alice, Panic, Wombats, Post Malone were all very good, especially Wolf Alice.

Sidenote: Anybody know why Playboi Carti got cancelled? A bunch of people round my campsite were saying he overdosed but I dont know if thats the truth

Edited by TOMHAMPTON

49 minutes ago, TOMHAMPTON said:

Also thought that Wolf Alice, Panic, Wombats, Post Malone were all very good, especially Wolf Alice.

Sidenote: Anybody know why Playboi Carti got cancelled? A bunch of people round my campsite were saying he overdosed but I dont know if thats the truth

He played at the KSI/Logan Paul fight instead...

EDIT: it seems he has 'died' but this was today. he has faked died twice before from what I can see so i'm confused

EDIT 2: playboy carti subreddit says he's currently ill and has been advised not to do shows

Edited by gfa
fact check

Damn a lot of you left early. I'd be getting new mates if they all decided to leave before the end of a festival without some serious circumstances at play haha.

Sounds like I need to listen to The Fever 333. Not got a clue who they are.

Also, saw a picture of Travis Scott's crowd at Leeds and it was pitiful. I thought he fit the demographic well and would attract loads. I don't really understand this festival anymore.

3 hours ago, gfa said:

Friday was a sort of mediocre day, we started with the secret Wombats set which had a few rarities from the first album which was nice to hear i've seen them a fair amount of times but didn't like their second Reading set as it was kind of ruined by the lack of moshing due to being so densely packed.

~

Honestly I think this is the first time I’ve ever heard anyone say a Wombats set has been ruined due to a lack of moshing ?

Maybe I’m just getting old but the moshing to certain bands who aren’t really Moshy bands (in my opinion) made certain sets less enjoyable for me, some bands like the wombats are fun to just dance and sing to rather than jumping into each other. IMO moshing is more suited to heavier music

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, BeddingatReading said:

Honestly I think this is the first time I’ve ever heard anyone say a Wombats set has been ruined due to a lack of moshing ?

Maybe I’m just getting old but the moshing to certain bands who aren’t really Moshy bands (in my opinion) made certain sets less enjoyable for me, some bands like the wombats are fun to just dance and sing to rather than jumping into each other. IMO moshing is more suited to heavier music

Went to a wombats gig at ally pally in 2015 and there were pits everywhere, was surprised as i thought they weren't like a pit band. They also played a song at the end of their setlist that their guitarist had wrote specifically for pits 

2 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

Sorry, I've been away for most of the summer so havent been on my computer to keep track + post those stats. I'll see what I can whip up on my phone quickly for you now.

I'm going home briefly this weekend so will sort out the graph and shit then so its easier to see.

Sure. You can just post some notable stats without graphs if you don’t fancy the hassle, but there’s no rush or anything. :)

3 hours ago, Huckleberry Finn said:

Another superb weekend at Reading.

My major takeaway however was the poor crowds many of the up-and-coming guitar bands got, and the reception for the likes of The Kooks and The Wombats.

Such a shame to see acts who are offering very little dynamism and creativity get such a massive reaction for songs which they've been dining off for over a decade, while artists who are trying to do something different weren't being recognised.

Fickle Friends, Blinders, Pretty Vicious, Shame and Hinds were my personal highlights.

Best thing anyone has said on this forum!!!!

Couldn't agree more with ya buddy!! xXx

I got home from Reading this afternoon and had an incredible time all weekend despite the lineup looking poor on the surface.

Wasn't planning on it but ended up watching Post Malone from the sidelines. He's definitely not my cup of tea but I can totally see why people like him, he put on an insane show so massive respect to him.

I had an absolute mare and ended up missing Black Peaks which is my only regret so if anyone saw them please let me know how amazing they were so I can drown my sorrows.

I found that security was worse than ever when entering the arena this year. Maybe I just got there at the right/wrong time but I didn't have my bag searched once and managed to get a bottle of "water" in everyday without hiding it, they only seemed to be checking that everyone had a wristband which is slightly concerning.

I also noticed how much younger the audiences seemed this year. I'm only 24 but felt ancient in comparison to most other people which isn't a complaint, just an observation.

Highlights for me include The Fever 333 who were mesmerizing and Mike Shinoda who put on such an emotional performance. Also really rated BMTH, Pendulum, Kendrick, Frank Carter, Slaves and Kings of Leon.

The lineup would have to be close to mind blowing for me to return next year but I don't resent the festival for going in the direction it is. Like I said, I had an incredible time as I always have done in the past and am very interested to see what they will do next year.

Edited by Peskybee