Jump to content

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

this is so bleak. No way Slaves and The Vaccines are of interest to more people than Skepta is in 2018 though so it has to be taken with a pinch of salt, I think.

Well Skepta has dropped off a bit, is playing against headliners and probably appeals less to the kinda people plotting clashfinders at this point.

Crowd density is obviously the only true way to see how popular the act ended up but I would at least wait until the stages are actually full of acts rather than question marks to pay any mind to what the highlight counts are indicating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Let's be honest, despite dropping off a little, Skepta will still give that KoL crowd a run for their money. 

Nah I dunno. I initially thought that as well when the lineup came out, but KoL will attract a lot of day ticketers I reckon. Skepta will get a good crowd yeah, but KoL still have quite a big pull.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

this is so bleak. No way Slaves and The Vaccines are of interest to more people than Skepta is in 2018 though so it has to be taken with a pinch of salt, I think.

There is still not that many highlights either (less than 500) so definitely not representitive completely yet.

As dental said it'll be a lot more useful after the full poster comes out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Nah I dunno. I initially thought that as well when the lineup came out, but KoL will attract a lot of day ticketers I reckon. Skepta will get a good crowd yeah, but KoL still have quite a big pull.

Yeah I kind of meant it in terms of Skepta will get a massive crowd and will most likely spill out the tent as where KoL will have a relatively decent crowd but nothing special for a headliner. That's my prediction anyway.

They will sell a lot of day tickets to older people who can't necessarily camp but I doubt they're selling many weekend tickets as where fans of skepta are more likely to camp due to the demographic being younger and having many top top grime/rap acts.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jakari said:

Maybe they're gonna announce the two stage thing?

Wouldn’t we have two logos of stages if that was the case and there aren’t any headliners left to be announced so who would even play there 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think it's got to the stage now where people are ignoring any mention of the 2 stage theory. It's not rude, it's just that it's been discredited countless amounts of times now that everybody is bored of talking about it. Just to clear it up though, it's not happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Yeah I kind of meant it in terms of Skepta will get a massive crowd and will most likely spill out the tent as where KoL will have a relatively decent crowd but nothing special for a headliner. That's my prediction anyway.

They will sell a lot of day tickets to older people who can't necessarily camp but I doubt they're selling many weekend tickets as where fans of skepta are more likely to camp due to the demographic being younger and having many top top grime/rap acts.

 

Kings of Leon were the top rock band worldwide just under a decade ago and brought out the biggest rock song of the century so far; I think you’re quite far off if you think only older attendees will be interested in checking them out for nostalgia purposes.

Edited by dentalplan
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Kings of Leon were the top rock band worldwide just under a decade ago and brought out the biggest rock song of the century so far; I think you’re quite far off if you think only older attendees will be interested in checking them out for nostalgia purposes.

I think there's younger attendees who are stuck with a weekend ticket or buying one because its the end of A-Levels for example and don't necessarily like grime who will see them just because it's KoL and they like sex on fire, use somebody etc. Also, I still think people in the age bracket of 28-50 still regard them as rock legends almost and would jump at the chance to see them. I mean I've never met anybody around my age who is an avid KoL fan

Y&YM and Aha Shake Heartbreak were both very good albums but my god Only By The Night was so overrated and after that I've always thought they've declined but evidently I'm wrong as they're still getting booked for big festivals now.

I guess we'll see when the festival rolls around but ultimately the people that are there that are genuinely KoL fans rather than there for the sake of it will be older than the current R+L demographic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

I think there's younger attendees who are stuck with a weekend ticket or buying one because its the end of A-Levels for example and don't necessarily like grime who will see them just because it's KoL and they like sex on fire, use somebody etc. Also, I still think people in the age bracket of 28-50 still regard them as rock legends almost and would jump at the chance to see them. I mean I've never met anybody around my age who is an avid KoL fan

Y&YM and Aha Shake Heartbreak were both very good albums but my god Only By The Night was so overrated and after that I've always thought they've declined but evidently I'm wrong as they're still getting booked for big festivals now.

I guess we'll see when the festival rolls around but ultimately the people that are there that are genuinely KoL fans rather than there for the sake of it will be older than the current R+L demographic.

Yea possibly but we're not talking about how many people will be there whose fav band is Kings of Leon, just how much of a draw they'll be among people inside the gates. It's just they were an incredibly big rock band and a lot of younger peeps will have grown up listening to them as one of the first rock bands they got into (cos 10 year olds are hardly gonna be dismissing the credibility of Only By The Night) and wouldn't necessarily pony up for a KOL show so it'd be about their only chance.

I expect that Kings of Leon will do well in day ticket stakes (not a quick sell out though I don't reckon) and among people attending for the weekend. I doubt there'll be swathes of folk excited for Skepta on his third summer of this album. In fact there'll probably be loads of floating voters that entertain the thought of both the Kings of Leon and Skepta gigs and eventually decide on KOL cos its the big main stage headline act.

Edited by dentalplan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's not forget how many Dudey Rhino "guitar music only!!!" types there most likely are still at R&L (although ones that are into indie music rather than heavier stuff). KOL will get a decent sized crowd I'm sure, regardless of how naff a booking it is.

Indie music fans basically have no alternative that night and KOL will benefit from this. We've seen loads of people on Twitter etc. who already bought tickets before the lineup dropped and assumed Arctic Monkeys would be playing. I'd imagine most of these people will see KOL rather than the alternatives.

Basically I think KOL will get a decent sized crowd but it'll be very unreceptive aside from a couple of songs , and Skepta will also get a big crowd for the Radio One Stage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Eternal sunshine said:

Wouldn’t we have two logos of stages if that was the case and there aren’t any headliners left to be announced so who would even play there 

Playing devils advocate, they could keep posting the one stage logo and then one time do like a glitch thing and have it separate into two then announce it.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Let's not forget how many Dudey Rhino "guitar music only!!!"

Hey now. Dudey Rhino likes Scarlxrd!

Probably cos they're both bedwetting YouTubers, but still.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Lukie74 said:

If Jaws were to be booked where do people reckon they'd play? See I can see them perhaps subbing FR or low nme but I think they're a lot bigger here in Birmingham than elsewhere by looking at their placements at small festivals they're playing 

Yeah I definitely feel they're bigger in the midlands (They're pretty known here in Coventry too, a load of people I know have drove to Derby among other places just to see them, which is pretty mad for a band of their size) but I could see them low NME or mid-high FR, not quite subbing though I don't think.

Edited by TheWaters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Bandit Tom said:

Playing devils advocate, they could keep posting the one stage logo and then one time do like a glitch thing and have it separate into two then announce it.

Given that they havent got rid of any of the stages, and looking at the headliners they haven't downsized any tents, I think it's safe to say it ain't happening as there would be no space for the second stage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

Yeah I definitely feel they're bigger in the midlands (They're pretty known here in Coventry too, a load of people I know have drove to Derby among other places just to see them, which is pretty mad for a band of their size) but I could see them low NME or mid-high FR, not quite subbing though I don't think.

Tbf they have some pretty nothingy bands subbing FR quite often. Are JAWS (sorry dental) any smaller than Palace, Third Eye Blind, Saint Raymond, Lucy Rose, Little Comets and Bipolar Sunshine, to name a few recent examples?

Btw my phone wanted to correct 'sunshine' to 'aubergine'. Bipolar Aubergine is a much better band name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Tbf they have some pretty nothingy bands subbing FR quite often. Are JAWS (sorry dental) any smaller than Palace, Third Eye Blind, Saint Raymond, Lucy Rose, Little Comets and Bipolar Sunshine, to name a few recent examples?

Btw my phone wanted to correct 'sunshine' to 'aubergine'. Bipolar Aubergine is a much better band name.

Yeah you're right tbf, the only from that list I'd say is definitely bigger is Lucy Rose (although I could just be thinking that as she's local) but yeah I get what you're saying. 

I've just checked their Spotify page for the first time in a few months and they seem to have grown massively in listeners since then anyway, so could be a real shout.

Edited by TheWaters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Nah I dunno. I initially thought that as well when the lineup came out, but KoL will attract a lot of day ticketers I reckon. Skepta will get a good crowd yeah, but KoL still have quite a big pull.

Assuming KoL will play pretty much the same set as they have across the WALLS Tour, but a part of me is mooting that they might bang out a dozen hits and then play Only by the Night in full, unannounced. Arguably precedent with Green Day having thrown Dookie out in '13. Be curious, since the WALLS Tour is supposedly over and this is a fresh jaunt entirely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Assuming KoL will play pretty much the same set as they have across the WALLS Tour, but a part of me is mooting that they might bang out a dozen hits and then play Only by the Night in full, unannounced. Arguably precedent with Green Day having thrown Dookie out in '13. Be curious, since the WALLS Tour is supposedly over and this is a fresh jaunt entirely. 

Aren't album in full shows normally done for fan favourite albums rather than bands' biggest albums? The people who are excited by the idea of album in full shows tend to be big fans, I would guess, and the excitement lies in hearing deep cuts from those albums that aren't usually played (e.g. hearing the likes of Hyper Music and Megalomania at Muse in 2011, or the Holy Bible songs that aren't usually played live from Manics in 2014).

I doubt anybody is wishing for KOL to come out and play 17 or I Want You. The album was huge because it had two huge singles and presumably a shit load of casual music fans picked it up on the back of them. They probably had it on in the car daily skipping half the CD to repeatedly hear Sex on Fire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, bigcharlie65 said:

Will Loyal Carner come?

He's not even breathing fast as far as I know. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding Kings of Leon, my and the girlfriend are going for the full weekend and will be seeing Skepta over KOL. Although a lot of our friends were either considering day tickets or coming the full weekend, and I'd say around 10 of them are extremely interested in just coming for the day to go to the main stage for KOL, Courteeners, Vaccines.

I'd say that Kings of Leon are going to pull a rather large crowd, bigger than Fall Out Boy and Panic (although Panic will have people waiting for Kendrick.) Although I do think Skepta is too big to be headlining the Radio 1 stage, unless it's gotten any bigger over the last couple of years it's going to be even busier than Twenty One Pilots and that was crazy in 2016.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, undecided said:

Anyone have any ideas of who could go on the low NME on Saturday? Playboi Carti seems way too big for that spot 

Anyone’s guess really. I’m sure there’ll be acts above and below him, but more so below as you suggest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheDHolford said:

 it's going to be even busier than Twenty One Pilots and that was crazy in 2016.

I'm pretty sure I've read in multiple places that it was a half full tent? Could be wrong, wasn't there myself, but I've heard it a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×