Lineup 2018

not enough women on the line up for wireless i'm afraid. 3 is piss poor. festivals need to make an active effort to book bands from all walks of life. people of colour, male, female, gay, straight, etc etc.

lets not argue over whether it's about the music or not, we all know half the demographic don't go to reading for that. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

14 minutes ago, RedBalloon said:

festivals need to make an active effort to book bands from all walks of life.

I don't disagree, but ...

Part of the problem is that there's not the same number &/or as-high profile bands with females, and part of what any line-up has to fulfil is popularity of bands to its audience.

In general there's a decent push going on to raise the profile of female bands but it's not something that can be achieved in an instant. It has to be nudged along.

I'm sure Wireless could have done better tho.

1 hour ago, Steve1000 said:

This is the same case for everyone and not the point people are making

No I understand the point you are making. My 2c on the issue is that I agree with the fact that women were previously not encouraged enough to rock and roll and hence why festivals today almost always end up being a cockfest.

Nonetheless, in this day and age I don’t think that is the case. We don’t know if there’s a ton of up and coming female bands just waiting to explode. Also I think the problem right now is that rock music in general is not getting enough attention but thats another thing. My point is you have to wait for progress to happen cause bands don’t become famous overnight. I think that in a few years this probably won’t be a problem.

Its getting to a point now where a BRITS announcement is a lot more likely! All these fests have been announcing this week and not even a post from R&L to say line up coming soon or coming within the next week! NOTHING! So im going for a big announcement at the brits with Dave announcing the foos as a headliner?? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

I don't disagree, but ...

Part of the problem is that there's not the same number &/or as-high profile bands with females, and part of what any line-up has to fulfil is popularity of bands to its audience.

In general there's a decent push going on to raise the profile of female bands but it's not something that can be achieved in an instant. It has to be nudged along.

I'm sure Wireless could have done better tho.

Some festivals/genres manage it, though i guess thats because of the higher number of female artists for such. Places like Green Man, End of the road and Cambridge folk festival have roughly 50/50 equal splits

The one thing that makes me doubt the Brits announcement is that post saying an announcement was coming "soon" on like the 10th of Jan or whenever it was. People on twitter are already getting pissed, and I'm not sure you can call a nearly 2 month gap "soon".

However, it doesn't look likely to be this week, so I guess it is the next logical time to do an announcement?

5 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

The one thing that makes me doubt the Brits announcement is that post saying an announcement was coming "soon" on like the 10th of Jan or whenever it was. People on twitter are already getting pissed, and I'm not sure you can call a nearly 2 month gap "soon".

However, it doesn't look likely to be this week, so I guess it is the next logical time to do an announcement?

Yeah thats a good point! I feel it should be this week or at the very least early next week (like Parklife). But it wouldn't surprise me if they waited for the BRITS as they are already taking the piss so why not wait another month! Sucks because i know everyone wants this god damn announcement:( 

3 minutes ago, DR OK said:

Had a first listen to Kendrick a couple days back and struggling to see the cross-over appeal. I had it in my head that it was supposed to be genre challenging and critically acclaimed but struggling to see that when the N word is constantly used through pretty much every song, the beats are typical rap and the majority of the lyrics seem to be about women and drugs. 

What am I missing?

Right, what album did you listen to?? Because i feel the albums are all different to each other in a way 

edit - if not an album, what songs?? :)

Edited by Edduk98

1 minute ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Had a dream the headliners were Jack White, Foo Fighters and Pearl Jam resulting in riots across the country due to there being no Arctic Monkeys. 

Sounds lit! I had a dream foos where not on the lineup and I woke up feeling so happy it wasnt true!! 

• Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, DR OK said:

Listened to the 'Essential Playlist' on Apple Music. I would like it 'get it' just not sure it will be my bag. 

Umm I would recommend getting Spotify or just going on youtube and listen to To Pimp a butterfly album and Good kid mad city album!

Maybe not listen to the whole album but listen to song like Blacker the berry, Alright, Mad City, Poetic Justice, How much a dollar cost, good kid, backseat freestyle! Just some of his good tunes :) 

16 minutes ago, DR OK said:

Listened to the 'Essential Playlist' on Apple Music. I would like it 'get it' just not sure it will be my bag. 

I think "damn" leans towards conventional modern rap, the other two albums are more of a concepts, a lot of the songs can seem like pro drugs/ sex on the surface but actually deal with the abuse of them, peer pressure etc. Swimming Pools sounds like a song about getting drunk but is about how alcohol can swallow a person whole. To Pimp a butterfly about him returning to his home city, hypocrisy among-st other challenging subject. Though even damn is a lot deeper when you listen to the lyrics, themes etc. One of the songs even addressing the perception of rappers as dangerous because they use explicit language and drug references, even though there is so much more to offer if you look beyond that. That's the cross over appeal, he makes insanely catchy songs that are more thoughtful than a lot of rock/ indie music. Plus a lot of them are bangers 

2 hours ago, DR OK said:

Had a first listen to Kendrick a couple days back and struggling to see the cross-over appeal. I had it in my head that it was supposed to be genre challenging and critically acclaimed but struggling to see that when the N word is constantly used through pretty much every song, the beats are typical rap and the majority of the lyrics seem to be about women and drugs

What am I missing?

Tell me which Kendrick songs are about women and drugs? I'd say he explores those topics no more so than any musician of any genre. He's known for being anti-drugs.

The beats on To Pimp a Butterly (or even the 'Untitled Unmastered' ep) are about as far away as you could get from 'typical rap'.

His albums are critically acclaimed, that's a fact.

Edited by ConorC
  • Upvote 1

DMA's announced to headline Sound City in Liverpool in early May. They wouldn't be over here that early and late summer for R&L would they?

Something else I've noticed on the poster that's puzzling me is the fact that bands like IDLES and The Night Cafe are higher up than Black Honey by a couple spots? I'd always assumed they were around same size as IDLES fair enough, but The Night Cafe bigger? Really? Granted they aren't on the same day but still.

Edited by TheWaters

48 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

DMA's announced to headline Sound City in Liverpool in early May. They wouldn't be over here that early and late summer for R&L would they?

Something else I've noticed on the poster that's puzzling me is the fact that bands like IDLES and The Night Cafe are higher up than Black Honey by a couple spots? I'd always assumed they were around same size as IDLES fair enough, but The Night Cafe bigger? Really? Granted they aren't on the same day but still.

Home town.

Also DMA’s never seem to leave the UK so they’ll be around whenever.

13 hours ago, JoshyBoy2018 said:

Hi Guys,

Been following this forum for a while, now Ive decided to post something.

My line up prediction for this year:

Arctic Monkeys

Royal Blood/Imagine Dragons

Foo Fighters

Also hoping for a surprise appearance from The 1975, seeing as though their new album Music For Cars is due for release in June.

Welcome. I would love this to be true (apart from imagine dragons) but there's just no realistic way they'd make a line-up with both foos and arctics especially in a year when they'll get high ticket sales from Glasto. They wont waste both of probably the two biggest bands in the world who are around (and have tour plans )right now. But we'll definitely get one of them !

Edited by R Shah