Lineup 2018

12 hours ago, TheWaters said:

For most acts there's a couple hundred difference between R&L but they really don't seem to care for BROCKHAMPTON much at all up north lmao. 

They actually fit the trend to be fair. Most acts get at Leeds get around half the highlights. Rappers tend to be on the lower end of this but not by much while Indie landfill is way more skewed with it being nearly 1 for 1. Still, no idea why Post Malone is nearly 1 for 1. Is he the Hip Hop version of the Courteeners or something?

22 minutes ago, justanothername said:

They actually fit the trend to be fair. Most acts get at Leeds get around half the highlights. Rappers tend to be on the lower end of this but not by much while Indie landfill is way more skewed with it being nearly 1 for 1. Still, no idea why Post Malone is nearly 1 for 1. Is he the Hip Hop version of the Courteeners or something?

No that's Bugzy Malone. :lol:

Post is barely hip hop so I guess that might be it. He's certainly closer to Owl City than he is Eminem.

• Upvote 1

There is probably no direct correlation really but it's funny how there has been some dissent about how the crowds have changed for the worse because of the music, yet this section of the forums has been the best it's been for years due to newer users with interest in the new styles of music making dominating the lineup rather than oldhead faves.

16 hours ago, TOMHAMPTON said:

Also thought that Wolf Alice, Panic, Wombats, Post Malone were all very good, especially Wolf Alice.

Sidenote: Anybody know why Playboi Carti got cancelled? A bunch of people round my campsite were saying he overdosed but I dont know if thats the truth

Playboy Carti has asthma so he was unable to play as he’d been advised, he only discovered it recently 

14 hours ago, TheWaters said:

MATE YOU WERE RIGHT BEHIND ME THEN. I WAS THE LAD IN THE DAMN. T-SHIRT WITH A RED CAP, CLOUT GOGGLES AND MY JAW IN ANOTHER CONTINENT.

Hahaha noooo wayyyy!!! Haha should have come up for a cheeky go crowdsurfing!! Xx

On 8/26/2018 at 6:18 PM, dum surfer said:

Kings of leon sounded great, pulled quite a big crowd too at reading 

I thought htey were excellent too, despite having zero expectations before hand. We nearly left beforehand and indeed planned to leave after a couple of songs if they were shit and next thing you know they were finishing up. One of the best bands of the weekend for me, which I would never have guessed before I go there. They also have a very big crowd, at least where I was, in the middle but behind the sound tower thing, it was pretty much swaying room only.

Other highlights, Wolf Alice, BMTH, Dua Lipa, NERD, Yungblood, Don Broco

On 8/27/2018 at 9:28 AM, Chinaski_ said:

That was the last year I went too, but they still had acts like The Cure, At the Drive In, The Shins, Foos, Black Keys, Justice etc who appeal to older crowds and adds diversity to the audiences. I don't see why they can't have these kinds of acts alongside the teeny bopper acts as well, but they need 12-15 of them to attract people down not 2/3. 

Sounds like the majority of the line up was u16 if they had to go with their parents then. Not exactly a strong market to target as they will change their minds on what they like later on. 

Just goes to show how subjective it all is, as an older member of the crowd, none of those above (bar The Cure maybe) would appeal to me in the slightest.  There were acts there for the oldies, this year, obv just not for you (or me really). 

I'd much rather see a new band, with an energetic crowd than some old fookers just cashing in, with loads of oldies stroking beards and crossing arms

At the drive in last year, had the most pitiful crowd I think I've seen on the reading main stage. People sat cross legged litteraly 4 rows from the front barrier waiting for the next act.

• Upvote 2

had an absolutely class weekend for me, as always. first year actually being able to legally buy alcohol which i think helped with my enjoyment massively.  i think 2019 will be an interesting one to see where they go with it, i'll probably end up going just to make it five consecutive years at the fest.

not sure what the general consensus was but i thought panic! at the disco offered a very capable headline slot. from where i was standing it looked like it put FOB's crowd to shame as well. just quality singalongs which is all i could've asked for tbf.

brockhampton entirely delivered for me as a confirmed #stan since kevin abstract's solo work and i honestly couldn't believe the energy surging through the tent. other highlights were swmrs and bring me the horizon consecutively (beginning of the end for my voice and lungs), don broco, travis, kendrick, ghetts and N.E.R.D (not as good as lovebox but i'd hand that to the small crowd, or maybe people waiting for PATD? idk)

also every time i tried to chat up someone in the kendrick crowd before he came on they ended up being 16 and since i'm 18 now i think my grafting days may slow down even further somewhat next year

9 minutes ago, pepesilvia said:

other highlights were swmrs and bring me the horizon consecutively (beginning of the end for my voice and lungs)

8 minutes ago, Jane gibbons said:

Did anyone catch bring me the horizon? Im not really into their music but I came away from it thinking they was the best of the weekend 

I agree SWMRS into Bring Me were some of the best moments of the weekend. Not a massive fan of Bring Me, more of a casual listener but that set was very good. Highly considering buying a tour ticket now.

4 minutes ago, pepesilvia said:

also every time i tried to chat up someone in the kendrick crowd before he came on they ended up being 16 and since i'm 18 now i think my grafting days may slow down even further somewhat next year

Yeah, I'm 16 and I found the majority of people there were 16/17, on the Saturday atleast. Got chatting to a group of girls down the front of Kendrick as I'd wandered off on my own and they were all 16 pretending they were 18 for these 30 year old looking lads lmao, other than them there weren't too may people that looked over 20 or so down there haha. Almost everyone around me that I got talking to for Kendrick was around my age, but everyone I got talking to during  DFA or during Travis (quite a few of which said they were only waiting for FOB) on the Friday were all around 20-25. Definitely seemed like there was different age groups per day lmao.

yeah i feel that, crowd definitely skewed different age ranges for sure. how were DFA? i avoided their set because it was fucking tiny hahaha i went and saw bicep instead which definitely makes me part of the problem.

disappointed i didnt try and track down any efests brethren to see if we are all actually sweaty virgins who only come outside to sit in fields, will be a motive for next year

4 minutes ago, pepesilvia said:

yeah i feel that, crowd definitely skewed different age ranges for sure. how were DFA? i avoided their set because it was fucking tiny hahaha i went and saw bicep instead which definitely makes me part of the problem.

disappointed i didnt try and track down any efests brethren to see if we are all actually sweaty virgins who only come outside to sit in fields, will be a motive for next year

DFA were pretty good. Tiny crowd and not the best setlist (Little Girl, Romantic Rights, Virgins, Crystal Ball all notable absences) but the band themselves put on a good show. Bass was incredible and the few people that were getting into it down the front were getting REALLY into it. I saw a bit of Bicep but really didn't wanna miss DFA haha.

Bring Me The Horizon - Fucking excellent, first time I've ever seen them and I'm praying they headline next year.

Post Malone - Was so fucked I collapsed and two Belgian guys had to help me out of the busy part of the crowd but still watched most of it and he'll be headlining before you know it, pulled such a huge crowd.

Wombats were great but thought the kooks and nothing but thieves were disappointing, especially the kooks.

Fall Out Boy seemed to lack energy and their visuals were either boring or fucking cringy. Definitely my biggest disappointment of the weekend.

Mike Shinoda managed to make me cry and Sum 41 fucking smashed it, can't believe they hadn't been booked in 15 years.

Rex Orange County did brilliantly and pulled a huge crowd who were all singing along.

My memory of Pendulum is rough because I was high as a kite however I thought they were incredible and pulled a crowd so big my friends told me people were moshing to the screens outside. Papa Roach also absolutely smashed it and more than filled the pit during Kendrick.

Crowd was a bit shit for Billy Talent due to the rain however they're definitely under rated in the UK, the lead is a great front man. 

Frank Carters secret set was ridiculous, he is genuinely one of the greatest front men in the world right now and his energy is unparalleled. 

Both The Vaccines and Courteeners pulled bigger crowds than I expected and were both great.

Slaves absolutely fucking smashed it, the best gig all weekend and I was completely sober. Those boys are going places.

Kings of Leon were dead, it seemed like they pulled a huge crowd but people were so spread apart and didn't give a shit so I just walked to the front. They had almost no energy and the only songs the crowd cared about were Use Somebody and Sex on Fire, just like in 2009, except Caleb Followill didn't lose his shit about it this time. 

My friends fucking loved Kendrick and Travis and the crowds looked insane, as a rock fan who doesn't like rap the problem this year with the headliners wasn't those two. They picked uninspired headliners who lack energy when it came to rock, the under card saved the lineup in the end.

I thought kings of Leon was embarrassing tbh hope they never get booked again. Worst headliner I've seen at Reading and leeds. By the time they played use somebody and sex on fire i was so drained I didn't sing along or get involved. They was a group next to me just chanting what took you so long by the courteeners ? it made it worse them playing after the courteeners too because they was so much energy then when Kings of Leon came on it was flat and noone was doing anything 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jane gibbons said:

I thought kings of Leon was embarrassing tbh hope they never get booked again. Worst headliner I've seen at Reading and leeds. By the time they played use somebody and sex on fire i was so drained I didn't sing along or get involved. They was a group next to me just chanting what took you so long by the courteeners ? it made it worse them playing after the courteeners too because they was so much energy then when Kings of Leon came on it was flat and noone was doing anything 

I'm sure Kings of Leon feel very bad for playing a set list full of their actual good songs that their fans want to hear and leaving the only two (terrible) songs you knew until the end.

And the group next to you sound like bellends, although I wouldn't expect a lot else from Courteeners fans.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I'm sure Kings of Leon feel very bad for playing a set list full of their actual good songs that their fans want to hear and leaving the only two (terrible) songs you knew until the end.

And the group next to you sound like bellends, although I wouldn't expect a lot else from Courteeners fans.

I like most of the Kings of Leon songs but they played them with hardly any energy and by the time they got to the big two songs that everyone likes it was so dead I couldn't be arsed 

Or maybe it's because courteeners had a better atmosphere than Kings of Leon and them lads was thinking the same as me 

9 minutes ago, Jane gibbons said:

I like most of the Kings of Leon songs but they played them with hardly any energy and by the time they got to the big two songs that everyone likes it was so dead I couldn't be arsed 

Or maybe it's because courteeners had a better atmosphere than Kings of Leon and them lads was thinking the same as me 

It’s funny how people have such different impressions of the same set- I thought they were great and the crowd around me were loving it. It probably helped that the first half of the set was full of my favourites, mind. 

They’ve never been particularly energetic but they were miles better than 2009! 

17 minutes ago, Jane gibbons said:

Fair play, was exactly the same when I saw them in 2013 tbh. Was well disappointed.

And I mean, regardless, standing there chanting another band's song whilst there's a band on stage is a dick move. If I'm stood there trying to watch a band and some weapon is chanting Courteeners songs next to me I'm gonna be annoyed.

13 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Meant to upvote the shit out of this but hit down instead. Sorry, dude! 

You can change your vote you know :P

44 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Fair play, was exactly the same when I saw them in 2013 tbh. Was well disappointed.

And I mean, regardless, standing there chanting another band's song whilst there's a band on stage is a dick move. If I'm stood there trying to watch a band and some weapon is chanting Courteeners songs next to me I'm gonna be annoyed.

You can change your vote you know :P

I can’t add any more reactions today :P 

Working backwards.. first Reading in 6 years felt even older but did think the crowd were friendlier and less dickish than usual.

Kings of Leon - I was fairly far forward atmosphere seemed good there was a bit of a dip in the middle but generally it was good rock with little theatrics and maybe that is why they were a let down for some.

The Courteeners - Not really a fan, exactly as I expected but also good.

The Vaccines - Of the times I have seen them thought that was the best outdoors.

Spector - Really very good and engaging better than the first time I saw them in 2012.

Dma's - Good but far from great

Welshly Arms - Good.. expect to get bigger

Frank Carter and the Rattlesnakes - Franatic, second time I've seen him great fun.

Peace - Have not listened to them in a while but were good

The Joy Formidable - Tiny crowd felt sorry for them, middle of the pack

Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly - A highlight of mine... only saw them as thought I'd escape the rain! Were excellent even without knowing that many songs

Dinosaur Pileup - Tiny crowd.. decided they weren't worth getting drenched for

Pendulum - Good

Panic at the Disco - Saw some by accident really good at times, poor at others

Pale Waves - Will see again sounded good

Sigrid - Checked out for a few songs great voice

Sum 41 - Really good

Mike Shinoda - Really good and emotional not a big LP lover but a enjoyable set

Pretty Vicious - Not as good as hoped

Wolf Alice - Excellent best of the weekend

Fallout Boy - Fairly good start tiny crowd saw about 25 mins total

Nothing but Thieves - Mixed good on some songs average on others

Hudson Taylor - Great folk band

BORNs - Wandered in at the end to escape the rain... no idea what the set was like but he came and chatted to loads of fans which impressed me given they are bigger stateside.

The Kooks - Bang average

Royal Republic - Very exciting band saw 5 song or so but very good

The Wombats - Good enjoyed their set

Ten Tonnes - Good going to get bigger I suspect

I The Mighty - Can't remember them that well so can't have been great!

Fickle Friends - Pretty good

King Nun - Good

Wild Front - Very good, definitely going to see again

The Wombats - The smaller secret set was a tad quiet but a good setlist

Gengahr - Good but not sure about the singing for long periods an acquired taste

Overall on the face of it the line-up wasn't my favourite bands but I still enjoyed it and realised looking back at my previous Reading's it was really just 1 Headliner of interest to me and a couple of bands in the middle of a couple of the days from being as good as the others.

Edited by Ashl
Summary

Royal Republic were as strange as ever but were actually pretty good. Was only there because I met some girl and stayed with her for a bit so I could use her mates portable charger lmao. Made me miss Sheck Wes for The Kooks too but oh well.

Some people who were good I forgot to mention in last post:

Normandie

Last Night In Paris

West Thebarton

Hilltop Hoods

Annie Mac

Lady Bird

A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie

Also dancing around to 1998 by Peace in the pouring rain will stay with me for a long time that was great. Saw first half of Billy Talent beforehand and they were very good too despite a tiny crowd.

Edited by TheWaters

3 hours ago, Benj said:

I thought htey were excellent too, despite having zero expectations before hand. We nearly left beforehand and indeed planned to leave after a couple of songs if they were shit and next thing you know they were finishing up. One of the best bands of the weekend for me, which I would never have guessed before I go there. They also have a very big crowd, at least where I was, in the middle but behind the sound tower thing, it was pretty much swaying room only.

Other highlights, Wolf Alice, BMTH, Dua Lipa, NERD, Yungblood, Don Broco

Just goes to show how subjective it all is, as an older member of the crowd, none of those above (bar The Cure maybe) would appeal to me in the slightest.  There were acts there for the oldies, this year, obv just not for you (or me really). 

I'd much rather see a new band, with an energetic crowd than some old fookers just cashing in, with loads of oldies stroking beards and crossing arms

At the drive in last year, had the most pitiful crowd I think I've seen on the reading main stage. People sat cross legged litteraly 4 rows from the front barrier waiting for the next act.

1 hour ago, Aech said:

Mike Shinoda managed to make me cry and Sum 41 fucking smashed it, can't believe they hadn't been booked in 15 years.

My memory of Pendulum is rough because I was high as a kite however I thought they were incredible and pulled a crowd so big my friends told me people were moshing to the screens outside. Papa Roach also absolutely smashed it and more than filled the pit during Kendrick.

Crowd was a bit shit for Billy Talent due to the rain however they're definitely under rated in the UK, the lead is a great front man. 

Kings of Leon were dead, it seemed like they pulled a huge crowd but people were so spread apart and didn't give a shit so I just walked to the front. They had almost no energy and the only songs the crowd cared about were Use Somebody and Sex on Fire, just like in 2009, except Caleb Followill didn't lose his shit about it this time. 

Sum 41 setlist was top drawer to be honest, everything was spot on and his voice was alright...better on tour but maybe being inside an academy helped.

Pendulum was exceptional...I had a great spot due to having been center of the 1st barrier in front of it for Deaf Havana before and not moving. Papa Roach was ridiculous...came out a bit later than stated at Leeds so slightly down for that as another song if not too could have been included like Blood Brothers that was on some of the other tours. I always find a favorite is left out though when a band is maybe going to do their own tour after etc.

Billy Talent are a bit shit now, BT III was ok but now it's all gone to out of ideas. I think they have done what many rocks acts have tried to now who aren't growing and maybe dropping off, trying to go a bit more mainstream and it just doesn't work. I actually think papa Roach are verging a bit too mainstream on this new record.

On KOL...a crowd of 16-19 year old's won't give a shit about songs that aren't played regularly from them...they won't even know The Bucket or Molly's Chambers for eg. Caleb has no presence or banter...Kaiser Chiefs completely upstaged them at Reading 2009 and at Hyde Park years ago it was lifeless.