Lineup 2018

25 minutes ago, Alfie Clayton said:

Also awesome week guys!! For me, highlights gotta be shame!! But also if anyone saw a wheel chair being crowdsirfed at Kendrick that was me and my mates, aha! Hope ya all had fun! What's the thoughts for next year??!? Xx

MATE YOU WERE RIGHT BEHIND ME THEN. I WAS THE LAD IN THE DAMN. T-SHIRT WITH A RED CAP, CLOUT GOGGLES AND MY JAW IN ANOTHER CONTINENT.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Peskybee said:

I had an absolute mare and ended up missing Black Peaks which is my only regret so if anyone saw them please let me know how amazing they were so I can drown my sorrows.

Black Peaks were incredible, one of the best acts to play The Pit all weekend.

6 minutes ago, Peskybee said:

Just as I expected. I'm going to have to get tickets for their tour in October.

Definitely, put on a great show.

6 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Frank Carter needs to play main stage next year. Fourth down for sure. 

Oh for sure, he was insane at Reading. Would love to see him get a high main stage slot.

1 minute ago, Andre91 said:

He’s the best front man in the world. He smashes it every single time. 

Have only seen him the once but have been trying to for about two years now. I just love his energy and showmanship. I Hate You is the perfect way to end the set lmao.

2 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

@dentaIpIan here is just the data for the bigger acts + some of the more popular ones on here. As I said I'll number crunch all the data this weekend and makw a big graph so its easier to see and set up a google docs if people wanna do their own stuff with it.

Screenshot_20180827-222044_Sheets.jpg

For most acts there's a couple hundred difference between R&L but they really don't seem to care for BROCKHAMPTON much at all up north lmao. 

9 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

@dentaIpIan here is just the data for the bigger acts + some of the more popular ones on here. As I said I'll number crunch all the data this weekend and makw a big graph so its easier to see and set up a google docs if people wanna do their own stuff with it.

Screenshot_20180827-222044_Sheets.jpg

Very surprised how popular Panic! were on there. Post surely the most popular ever that low down on the lineup, wouldn’t be surprised if he got more than the majority of people third and even subs previously. 

Also, shows how much bigger Courteeners are up north that they nearly have as many in Leeds as they do Reading and most other bands have almost double the numbers for Reading

Edited by BeddingatReading

8 hours ago, Chinaski_ said:

That was the last year I went too, but they still had acts like The Cure, At the Drive In, The Shins, Foos, Black Keys, Justice etc who appeal to older crowds and adds diversity to the audiences. I don't see why they can't have these kinds of acts alongside the teeny bopper acts as well, but they need 12-15 of them to attract people down not 2/3. 

Sounds like the majority of the line up was u16 if they had to go with their parents then. Not exactly a strong market to target as they will change their minds on what they like later on. 

Half of these acts get shit crowds which is why they don't get booked anymore.

In the years I went (2011-2013) my favourite acts who played were the likes of NIN, The Cure, ATDI, but the unfortunate reality is that these acts drew embarrassingly small crowds. FR recognised this and started booking more of the stuff that people there actually wanted to see.

The festival has changed; people who want to see Nine Inch Nails and Weezer will be looking elsewhere, and throwing a couple of them each year into a lineup mostly aimed at school leavers is a pointless exercise.

In the first year or two that I didn't go but was still considering going (until the lineups got released) I felt a bit miffed that they were booking less and less of these acts, but now I've accepted that the festival is no longer for me I can see that they've made the right call in stopping booking these bands. And I don't get why people care; if you're into those bands there are better options out there for you than Reading and Leeds, where these acts would get dead crowds anyway and it'd be a much worse experience than seeing them elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

He’s the best front man in the world. He smashes it every single time. 

For someone who I like, I don't think many beat Jacoby Shaddix. He goes into a gig and leaves it all there. It's energy, a show to get the fans going, passion, appreciation to the fans. Always comes up the barrier as well. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Peskybee said:

I also noticed how much younger the audiences seemed this year. I'm only 24 but felt ancient in comparison to most other people which isn't a complaint, just an observation.

This is a new thing? Last time I went I was 17 and my 20 year old brother came with me and my mates and felt older than most people, and this was in 2013.

Cheers @Mattymooz. It's always skewed away from rappers and stuff but interesting to see Wombats and Kooks actually were properly mobbed. Surprised about Diplo getting so few, despite Kings of Leon being the least highlighted headliner. Did people know it was gonna rain or whut?

13 hours ago, JSmurphy said:

Wondered off to Main to see a bit of Protoje before heading to Dance Stage to see Noname.

It's wandered u freek.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Half of these acts get shit crowds which is why they don't get booked anymore.

In the years I went (2011-2013) my favourite acts who played were the likes of NIN, The Cure, ATDI, but the unfortunate reality is that these acts drew embarrassingly small crowds. FR recognised this and started booking more of the stuff that people there actually wanted to see.

The festival has changed; people who want to see Nine Inch Nails and Weezer will be looking elsewhere, and throwing a couple of them each year into a lineup mostly aimed at school leavers is a pointless exercise.

In the first year or two that I didn't go but was still considering going (until the lineups got released) I felt a bit miffed that they were booking less and less of these acts, but now I've accepted that the festival is no longer for me I can see that they've made the right call in stopping booking these bands. And I don't get why people care; if you're into those bands there are better options out there for you than Reading and Leeds, where these acts would get dead crowds anyway and it'd be a much worse experience than seeing them elsewhere.

You raise some really good points and I agree with most of this but where does someone who likes NIN, Weezer, ADTR go? Download doesn't book bands like this as they book the likes of Saxon instead (though they have booked ADTR).

Sonisphere tried this but doesn't look like it can compete is market with Download?  That's why people still holding on for something that does not exist

29 minutes ago, she bangs the drums said:

You raise some really good points and I agree with most of this but where does someone who likes NIN, Weezer, ADTR go? Download doesn't book bands like this as they book the likes of Saxon instead (though they have booked ADTR).

Sonisphere tried this but doesn't look like it can compete is market with Download?  That's why people still holding on for something that does not exist

Download will book ADTR again. R&L is a school leavers festival with a side of alternative acts to attract a bit of a side market. It all depends on the year whether or not is attracts enough of the right bands for you, this year just worked for me on one day but next year may not.

I'd hazard a guess there was more day holders for the Kendrick day as well due to older rock acts and if they put a decent act like PR in The Pit it's good, I don't know about radio 1 as I think a more radio obviously friendly act is going to sell better but Weezer for example could do it.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, she bangs the drums said:

It sounds to me like you’re longing for a festival that books a lineup tailored to your exact tases. If you’re looking for a festival that books NIN to headline with ADTR also on the bill you’re going to be looking a while :P You go to those bands own tour dates to see them. 

Download doesn’t just book bands like Saxon. ADTR will likely headline Download the next time they play. 

Maybe you should try discovering some new bands. The world of rock and metal is in a really exciting place for excellent new bands (and has been for the past couple of years). Festivals like 2000 Trees and ArcTanGent are fantastic at supporting and booking young, exciting bands and are far cheaper than R&L and Download. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, she bangs the drums said:

My main thought was overseas festivals. I went to Mad Cool this year for like £130 which had NIN, Pearl Jam, Depeche Mode, QOTSA, Jack White, ATDI, Justice, Tame Impala, Massive Attack and loads more of the kind of acts you no longer see much of at R&L. Rock Werchter and a few others also book a lot of these acts.

Aside from that, day festivals like QOTSA at Finsbury, some BST days, APE if you're into the less heavy side of it (Justice were there this year).

10 hours ago, thewayiam said:

For someone who I like, I don't think many beat Jacoby Shaddix. He goes into a gig and leaves it all there. It's energy, a show to get the fans going, passion, appreciation to the fans. Always comes up the barrier as well. 

He's definitely up there. Their main stage set a few years ago where he got the entire crowd, most of whom only knew last resort, bouncing to stuff of the then new album was great.