Lineup 2018

Happy Foals are getting on quite a few lists here, do you reckon their next album will put them in the running for headlining outright or see them fall off a bit? Personally don't think they have a bad album so it'd be nice to see them explode soon.

Edited by Twice

4 minutes ago, Twice said:

Happy Foals are getting on quite a few lists here, do you reckon their next album will put them in the running for headlining outright or see them fall off a bit? Personally don't think they have a bad album so it'd be nice to see them explode soon.

I think they'd have headlined outright if they didn't wanna factor Glasto into their last tour anyway so yeah it shouldn't be an obstacle. I wouldn't be surprised to see them miss R+L on the next album however and headline some other festivals like IOW or perhaps Glasto.

2 hours ago, Twice said:

There seems to be no middle ground on Foals headline set

Half the people loved the set and put it down as one of their favourite headline sets ever, the rest had a look for a while, shrugged and thought they were rubbish

On 06/04/2018 at 11:08 PM, Andre91 said:

Thoughts? I’m struggling with it. I think it is a step back. I’m finding it very hard to get to the end of it without feeling bored. 

I kind of disagree. It's a step forward in the right direction but I still think The Greatest Generation was their peak but then again just sticking to that sound would be boring and something I wouldn't like them doing. It's certainly more consistent than NTCH as that album had a great first half which peaked with A Song For Ernest Hemmingway but just kind of dragged on after that (apart from I Want So Badly which is my 2nd fav after Ernest). I find it more enjoyable in the long run and it's certainly a grower so give it a few more goes if you haven't. I keep finding more and more reasons to like it after each listen. Also seeing them tomorrow for the first day on the tour and I can't wait for it! :D 

Catfish headling summer sessions on Saturday 25th. Imagine they'll be bumped up to at least co headline when FR next book them cos look at the amount of smaller UK festivals they're now headlining. 

KOL also doing summer sessions.

Edited by R Shah

5 minutes ago, R Shah said:

Catfish headling summer sessions on Saturday 25th. Imagine they'll be bumped up to at least co headline when FR next book them cos look at the amount of smaller UK festivals they're now headlining. 

I think the UK festivals they're headlining now probably works against them. They've become the Stereophonics.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, R Shah said:

It could either way but I feel it'll be sub at the very minimum and reckon Glastonbury will potentially have them sub too.

18 hours ago, justanothername said:

I kind of disagree. It's a step forward in the right direction but I still think The Greatest Generation was their peak but then again just sticking to that sound would be boring and something I wouldn't like them doing. It's certainly more consistent than NTCH as that album had a great first half which peaked with A Song For Ernest Hemmingway but just kind of dragged on after that (apart from I Want So Badly which is my 2nd fav after Ernest). I find it more enjoyable in the long run and it's certainly a grower so give it a few more goes if you haven't. I keep finding more and more reasons to like it after each listen. Also seeing them tomorrow for the first day on the tour and I can't wait for it! :D 

I love NXTH. Maybe a step back was a bit harsh but I certainly feel like it’s a sidestep rather than a step forward.  I’ve had it on a couple of times every day and I’m still struggling to get into it. Mainly because I find it so damn bleak. They’ve always had serious and self-reflective lyrics but there’s always been that glimmer of positivity or that hook to pull you in. I just can’t find that here. I enjoy Raining In Kyoto, Pyramids of Salt and Heaven’s Gate but everything else outside of those three songs just drags for me. The Ocean Grew Hands is decent but I just think of how incredible I Just Wanna Sell Out My Funeral is and want to listen to that.  It’s like Soupy has given up hope on this album. 

Sonically I definitely see parallels with Brand New and the musical direction they moved in over the years. 

I’m going to see them Friday and am just as much hyped to see Soroity Noise :D 

*edit* 

Sorority Noise have pulled out of the tour. 

Edited by Andre91

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I think the UK festivals they're headlining now probably works against them. They've become the Stereophonics.

the thing is they won't be back at any of these numerous smaller festivals for a while so when they do Reading/Glasto/IOW they will be only at like 1 other festival that summer so there will be the demand, and then in like 3/4 years they'll be at every festival again

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gfa said:

the thing is they won't be back at any of these numerous smaller festivals for a while so when they do Reading/Glasto/IOW they will be only at like 1 other festival that summer so there will be the demand, and then in like 3/4 years they'll be at every festival again

They could do the ones they're not headlining next year. Tramlines, Victorious, FN6 even.

1 hour ago, rfc_478 said:

Haha, somehow I doubt it. They’ll be high up a forthcoming R&L lineup soon enough

Yeah I can imagine them subbing R+L or a big slot at Glastonbury - they're obviously not as outdated and irrelevant as Stereophonics - but I don't think they're going on to trouble headline slots at R+L or Glastonbury (can't rule out IOW) now they're headlining Kendal and YNOT.

I don't see Catfish at Victorious, these small fests like Y Not seem to have two headliners from the past and a fresh face, them being the fresh face but Victorious are going to all 3 of the past.

I don't think Catfish would be a sub now as they are doing albeit with lower prices their own outdoor dates now. People are obviously getting them on less prices compared to KOL etc knowing they sell tickets. We shall next year.

49 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I don't see Catfish at Victorious, these small fests like Y Not seem to have two headliners from the past and a fresh face, them being the fresh face but Victorious are going to all 3 of the past.

I don't think Catfish would be a sub now as they are doing albeit with lower prices their own outdoor dates now. People are obviously getting them on less prices compared to KOL etc knowing they sell tickets. We shall next year.

Catfish are probably about the same size as Panic in the UK right now. One of those borderline co-headline/sub artists

30 minutes ago, R Shah said:

Catfish are probably about the same size as Panic in the UK right now. One of those borderline co-headline/sub artists

Catfish are way bigger. If Panic At The Disco played gigs the size of the ones Catfish have booked for the summer I'm pretty sure it would be embarrassing turnouts.

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

Even the ‘fresh faces’ aren’t bands that continue upwards from there; Rudimental, The Vaccines, Frank Turner. It’s just not a festival whose bill-toppers are future Reading/Glasto headliners.

It seems like Catfish have taken the medium-sized festival headline money now at the expense of keeping scarce and taking major fest headline money later. They can’t have it both ways - you don’t see Wolf Alice or Royal Blood popping their head in at all these farms and that’s because they’re still on the path.

Headlining the same park im Glasgow as KOL doesn’t mean a whole lot when you can also point out that they’re putting on Kasabian and Rag’n’Bone Man gigs in the same venue in Edinburgh, yet one is a headliner and the other never will be.

1 hour ago, R Shah said:

I think they are bigger than Panic imo, I think it's crazy Panic got a co-headline but I don't see how Catfish don't get that now. They are another that could joint top the Reading bill but get Glastonbury sub.

24 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Even the ‘fresh faces’ aren’t bands that continue upwards from there; Rudimental, The Vaccines, Frank Turner. It’s just not a festival whose bill-toppers are future Reading/Glasto headliners.

It seems like Catfish have taken the medium-sized festival headline money now at the expense of keeping scarce and taking major fest headline money later. They can’t have it both ways - you don’t see Wolf Alice or Royal Blood popping their head in at all these farms and that’s because they’re still on the path.

Headlining the same park im Glasgow as KOL doesn’t mean a whole lot when you can also point out that they’re putting on Kasabian and Rag’n’Bone Man gigs in the same venue in Edinburgh, yet one is a headliner and the other never will be.

Catfish are bigger than The Vaccines or Frank Turner has ever been, also Rudimental imo now imo.

Let's be fair, the Edinburgh side of things is clearly not as big as the Glasgow side, KOL aren't what they were and Kasabian have never really got to where they thought they would, they've never done an outdoor gig in England bar Leic.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

I think they are bigger than Panic imo, I think it's crazy Panic got a co-headline but I don't see how Catfish don't get that now. They are another that could joint top the Reading bill but get Glastonbury sub.

Catfish are bigger than The Vaccines or Frank Turner has ever been, also Rudimental imo now imo.

Let's be fair, the Edinburgh side of things is clearly not as big as the Glasgow side, KOL aren't what they were and Kasabian have never really got to where they thought they would, they've never done an outdoor gig in England bar Leic.

Kasabian have headlined every single festival in this country at least once. I think they’ve got to where they thought they would. 

13 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Kasabian have headlined every single festival in this country at least once. I think they’ve got to where they thought they would. 

I mean like they wanted to really go on and headlined their own Wembley shows etc really didn't they. I'm not saying they haven't been big or anything but didn't reach the height of some of the others. Well tbf V and T repeated their headliners every other year lol.

18 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I mean like they wanted to really go on and headlined their own Wembley shows etc really didn't they. I'm not saying they haven't been big or anything but didn't reach the height of some of the others. Well tbf V and T repeated their headliners every other year lol.

like coldplay for exemple