Lineup 2018

1 hour ago, pepesilvia said:

mike shinoda’s releasing an album on june 15th. might be less LP material than expected 

He'll include about 2 songs from it for a 40 minute set, 2 songs probably from fort minor and 4/5 LP songs I'd imagine. Opening with Papercut would be very ideal for him.

25 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

He'll include about 2 songs from it for a 40 minute set, 2 songs probably from fort minor and 4/5 LP songs I'd imagine. Opening with Papercut would be very ideal for him.

He would absolutely not just play two of his own songs, he’s there to promote himself and his new album so would definitely be cranking out more than that. Of course he will play some LP but surely he’ll be looking to carve his own identity.  

Remember the Name and Hands Held High are going to be in his setlist. I'd say In The End is likely too, given how prominently he features on it, but I'm not sure how he'll work around performing it sounds without Chester. It has the potential to be an enjoyable set and with him performing at Summer Sonic a week prior, they'll be a chance to check out his setlist before the festival. 

12 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

Remember the Name and Hands Held High are going to be in his setlist. I'd say In The End is likely too, given how prominently he features on it, but I'm not sure how he'll work around performing it sounds without Chester. It has the potential to be an enjoyable set and with him performing at Summer Sonic a week prior, they'll be a chance to check out his setlist before the festival. 

With songs like numb and in the end he can just rely on the audience singing Chester's parts, I imagine it'll just be played on the speakers.

5 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Maybe they realised that no one in the world has a clue what Trash Boat is.

Seen Trash Boat live and can confirm they put on an incredible show, definitely my favourite of this new pop punk wave, more than deserve to be on the main stage

23 minutes ago, Aech said:

With songs like numb and in the end he can just rely on the audience singing Chester's parts, I imagine it'll just be played on the speakers.

You’re right but I would anticipate it being songs where Chester just does the chorus. Numb is pretty much just Chester IIRC.

20 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

You’re right but I would anticipate it being songs where Chester just does the chorus. Numb is pretty much just Chester IIRC.

Yeah your right I can't see numb being played he has very little input into that song. In the end has to be a definite though, probably the closing song.

1 hour ago, Retro P said:

He would absolutely not just play two of his own songs, he’s there to promote himself and his new album so would definitely be cranking out more than that. Of course he will play some LP but surely he’ll be looking to carve his own identity.  

I don't think he'll play more than 3 of his own max, yes he wants his own identity but 5th down on main stage he needs to work it and he'll probably have his own tour on sale not long after Reading in which there will be more songs from his album. Acts are clever in that they'll play a festival set but leave enough for people wanting to hear them again. I'm likely to be quite early on the day anyway, not sure whether I'll be at Leeds or Reading yet but the sound on main stage at Reading was generally average at best last time I attended and should it just be me Leeds do free car parking.

Just now, thewayiam said:

I don't think he'll play more than 3 of his own max, yes he wants his own identity but 5th down on main stage he needs to work it and he'll probably have his own tour on sale not long after Reading in which there will be more songs from his album. Acts are clever in that they'll play a festival set but leave enough for people wanting to hear them again. I'm likely to be quite early on the day anyway, not sure whether I'll be at Leeds or Reading yet but the sound on main stage at Reading was generally average at best last time I attended and should it just be me Leeds do free car parking.

Reading hugely depends on where you stand, Kasabian was frankly ruined for my last year as I stood in front of the disabled bit and it was ridiculously quiet, as long as your in front of the second barrier the sound is great.

40 minutes ago, Aech said:

Reading hugely depends on where you stand, Kasabian was frankly ruined for my last year as I stood in front of the disabled bit and it was ridiculously quiet, as long as your in front of the second barrier the sound is great.

and central I would presume?, i was at the side not that far away really from The Prodigy and Arctics a fair few years ago now and I've not been to Reading since,

I'm kind of confused what they've done with their budget this year. The lineup is obviously not as good as previous years, just seems as though they would have a lot of money left over considering this lineup isn't really too great. Some big names but can't imagine it'd cost as much as previous years

8 minutes ago, bigfish said:

I'm kind of confused what they've done with their budget this year. The lineup is obviously not as good as previous years, just seems as though they would have a lot of money left over considering this lineup isn't really too great. Some big names but can't imagine it'd cost as much as previous years

Don't know the exact amount but Kendrick cost them a few million. It was mentioned that he's the most expensive act they've ever booked, can't remember if that was refuted or not but he's certainly up there.

Tbh I don't think the undercard is any weaker than the previous couple of years, I'd actually say it's a bit stronger than last year. It's just the headliners that make it seem weaker. As others have said, I reckon if Fall Out Boy were replaced with a more popular headliner then there would be way less shouts of the lineup being shit.

20 minutes ago, bigfish said:

Kendrick reportedly cost a lot of money (possibly the most expensive headliner the festival has had, although I find that kind of hard to believe), and with acts like Post Malone going stratospheric almost instantly I'm sure they cost a fair bit as well despite being lower down the lineup (him being listed as a 'Special Guest' or whatever indicates this). 

It may look weaker but I think it's more a case of the music scene changing and flavour of the week type acts going for the big paychecks whilst they can and so eating in to the budget, and acts like The Kooks, Wombats, Sum 41 etc - acts expected to be lower down - making comebacks fuelled on nostalgia and upping their pay also. Just my take on it though - who knows what's going on behind the scenes. The headliners (and even main stage) might look like a bit of a mess, but overall I don't personally think the lineup is 'weaker' money wise per se - it's just a shitter (by a lot of people's standards) collection of acts takin up a bigger portion of the lineup/budget.

edit: Panic! as a co-headliner still boggles my mind though. Interested to see how this new album of theirs does 'cause I can't see them as anything other than a last ditch 'we need a fourth headliner - get on the phone to anybody available' type act.

Edited by FloorFiller
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

edit: Panic! as a co-headliner still boggles my mind though. Interested to see how this new album of theirs does 'cause I can't see them as anything other than a last ditch 'we need a fourth headliner - get on the phone to anybody available' type act.

I initially thought the same, especially considering they were 5th main in 2015. But really, although billed as a coheadliner, they're just a glorified sub with a slightly longer-than-usual sub set, similar to FOB in 2016. They're not closing either site, so when you just consider them as a sub it's a pretty decent booking imo. The album they released in 2016 did pretty well looking at the streaming figures/sales, and it looks like the lead single from this new album is gonna chart in the top 40 too which is promising. Also their booking in 2015 was quite a good one for the festival, they wouldn't have been too out of place 4th or even 3rd main I don't think.

Of course this is part speculation, but there was the suggestion that they were gonna be one of the 2nd main stage headliners when that was meant to happen, so perhaps them being billed as a coheadliner is more of a contract thing.

Not a fan personally, and I do think them coheadlining with Kendrick of the three headliners is dumb, but as a sub it's a fair enough booking.

Edit - dunno what pronoun I'm supposed to use to refer to Panic. It was 'they' in 2015 but 'he' now ffs.

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn

2 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I initially thought the same, especially considering they were 5th main in 2015. But really, although billed as a coheadliner, they're just a glorified sub with a slightly longer-than-usual sub set, similar to FOB in 2015. They're not closing either site, so when you just consider them as a sub it's a pretty decent booking imo. The album they released in 2016 did pretty well looking at the streaming figures/sales, and it looks like the lead single from this new album is gonna chart in the top 40 too which is promising. Also their booking in 2015 was quite a good one for the festival, they wouldn't have been too out of place 4th or even 3rd main I don't think.

Of course this is part speculation, but there was the suggestion that they were gonna be one of the 2nd main stage headliners when that was meant to happen, so perhaps them being billed as a coheadliner is more of a contract thing.

Not a fan personally, and I do think them coheadlining with Kendrick of the three headliners is dumb, but as a sub it's a fair enough booking.

As a fan of them in the early days and then quickly losing interest (and thinking them dropping off was inevitable) I think I'm still having a hard time believing that they've managed to work their way back up to this level ten years later :lol: 

Their new stuff sounds like pish to me but clearly they're (or should I say, he's) doing something right. Thought they'd absolutely fucked it after album #3.

2 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Don't know the exact amount but Kendrick cost them a few million. It was mentioned that he's the most expensive act they've ever booked, can't remember if that was refuted or not but he's certainly up there.

Tbh I don't think the undercard is any weaker than the previous couple of years, I'd actually say it's a bit stronger than last year. It's just the headliners that make it seem weaker. As others have said, I reckon if Fall Out Boy were replaced with a more popular headliner then there would be way less shouts of the lineup being shit.

I thought we knew he was about half the price of Eminem last year?

In terms of the size of acts I actually think the lineup is as good as the last couple years. The reason why it's so much worse for most people including myself is there is an even larger variety of acts this year with no V Fest (Dua Lipa etc.) and if you only listen to a few genres it isn't great.

1 hour ago, Mattymooz said:

I thought we knew he was about half the price of Eminem last year?

Pretty sure Neil said he'd heard Kendrick is the most expensive they've had but that he's being paid less than the reported figure Eminem got (which I think was for his 2013 slot rather than 2017 but presumably they were similar amounts). What I took from that was that the reported Eminem fee wasn't true (it was a ridiculous amount tbf).

4 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

As a fan of them in the early days and then quickly losing interest (and thinking them dropping off was inevitable) I think I'm still having a hard time believing that they've managed to work their way back up to this level ten years later :lol: 

Their new stuff sounds like pish to me but clearly they're (or should I say, he's) doing something right. Thought they'd absolutely fucked it after album #3.

They kind of did but save rock and roll did a lot for them. A few I know into them now aren't bothered really by TTTYG and FUTCT albums really but lived everything since.

Just now, Aech said:

In terms of the size of acts I actually think the lineup is as good as the last couple years. The reason why it's so much worse for most people including myself is there is an even larger variety of acts this year with no V Fest (Dua Lipa etc.) and if you only listen to a few genres it isn't great.

Aye I don't think it's any weaker than normal other than FOB. Panic as a co-headliner is obvs shite but they're basically just a sub (and if that also seems weak then just imagine they're swapped with Dua Lipa who some thought could sub). NME headliners are strong and some bookings like Post Malone are big for the slot they're in.

• Upvote 1