Lineup 2018

15 hours ago, Mattd1205 said:

Given this is where I saw the gender debate kicking off the most, it seemed the most suitable place to post this:

http://smirnoffequalizer.com/

It's a tool to show you what % of your Spotify streams are by male vs female artists and to promote female artists. 

http://www.thedrum.com/news/2018/03/02/marketing-s-changemakers-smirnoff-rolls-out-equalizer-tool-spotify-promote-women

Interesting idea. 

one of the efests team has suggested doing some research on the major festie line-ups for the last decade(ish) to see if things are actually improving ... but the issue is getting the gender breakdowns for the bands - of which there's 90,000+ in our bands database.

I've told him he's welcome to collect the gender data, and we can go from there. :P

25 minutes ago, Chris Vincent said:

Probably doesn’t mean anything, but this slide was at the end of RandL insta story today. Any ideas as to what it is/why it’s there?

10BDC84A-9581-4C2A-B545-11E4737E89D5.png

Maybe they're gonna announce the two stage thing?

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Huckleberry Finn said:

This might be of interest to Leeds attendees. Live at Leeds will have a ‘Leeds Festival’ stage this year, with The Vaccines headlining.

Presumably this will work as a showcase for the acts that are playing both festivals, ahead of the August event. The likes of The Horrors, Night Cafe and Pale Waves - among others - have been announced for both so you might expect them to appear too.

Interesting move from the festival and tells you all you need to know about their desperation to attract people that they’re willing to use a much smaller event to promote their product. Remember them doing it after Glastonbury last year, but this is a complete change-up.

C61843E2-64D3-4E53-81D6-8B2522FBED3E.jpeg

They’ve had a stage at Live at Leeds before (I think The Cribs and Palma Violets played it) and I think they often work with them. Don’t see it as an indicator of weakness to promote their bands at another event, personally.

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They’ve had a stage at Live at Leeds before (I think The Cribs and Palma Violets played it) and I think they often work with them. Don’t see it as an indicator of weakness to promote their bands at another event, personally.

Thought the claim of “brand new” suggested this was the first time a stage had been fully devoted to the festival. Wouldn’t surprise me if they’ve had a stage ‘in association with....’ but this branding feels far more brazen.

As for the promotion aspect, we’ll agree to disagree on that. But it feels like an every little helps approach.

8 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

this is so bleak. No way Slaves and The Vaccines are of interest to more people than Skepta is in 2018 though so it has to be taken with a pinch of salt, I think.

J Hus being last is kind of strange as well, I imagine he’ll get a big crowd

5 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

this is so bleak. No way Slaves and The Vaccines are of interest to more people than Skepta is in 2018 though so it has to be taken with a pinch of salt, I think.

Well Skepta has dropped off a bit, is playing against headliners and probably appeals less to the kinda people plotting clashfinders at this point.

Crowd density is obviously the only true way to see how popular the act ended up but I would at least wait until the stages are actually full of acts rather than question marks to pay any mind to what the highlight counts are indicating.

3 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Let's be honest, despite dropping off a little, Skepta will still give that KoL crowd a run for their money. 

Nah I dunno. I initially thought that as well when the lineup came out, but KoL will attract a lot of day ticketers I reckon. Skepta will get a good crowd yeah, but KoL still have quite a big pull.

1 hour ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

There is still not that many highlights either (less than 500) so definitely not representitive completely yet.

As dental said it'll be a lot more useful after the full poster comes out

37 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Nah I dunno. I initially thought that as well when the lineup came out, but KoL will attract a lot of day ticketers I reckon. Skepta will get a good crowd yeah, but KoL still have quite a big pull.

Yeah I kind of meant it in terms of Skepta will get a massive crowd and will most likely spill out the tent as where KoL will have a relatively decent crowd but nothing special for a headliner. That's my prediction anyway.

They will sell a lot of day tickets to older people who can't necessarily camp but I doubt they're selling many weekend tickets as where fans of skepta are more likely to camp due to the demographic being younger and having many top top grime/rap acts.

1 hour ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Yeah I kind of meant it in terms of Skepta will get a massive crowd and will most likely spill out the tent as where KoL will have a relatively decent crowd but nothing special for a headliner. That's my prediction anyway.

They will sell a lot of day tickets to older people who can't necessarily camp but I doubt they're selling many weekend tickets as where fans of skepta are more likely to camp due to the demographic being younger and having many top top grime/rap acts.

Kings of Leon were the top rock band worldwide just under a decade ago and brought out the biggest rock song of the century so far; I think you’re quite far off if you think only older attendees will be interested in checking them out for nostalgia purposes.

Edited by dentalplan
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Kings of Leon were the top rock band worldwide just under a decade ago and brought out the biggest rock song of the century so far; I think you’re quite far off if you think only older attendees will be interested in checking them out for nostalgia purposes.

I think there's younger attendees who are stuck with a weekend ticket or buying one because its the end of A-Levels for example and don't necessarily like grime who will see them just because it's KoL and they like sex on fire, use somebody etc. Also, I still think people in the age bracket of 28-50 still regard them as rock legends almost and would jump at the chance to see them. I mean I've never met anybody around my age who is an avid KoL fan

Y&YM and Aha Shake Heartbreak were both very good albums but my god Only By The Night was so overrated and after that I've always thought they've declined but evidently I'm wrong as they're still getting booked for big festivals now.

I guess we'll see when the festival rolls around but ultimately the people that are there that are genuinely KoL fans rather than there for the sake of it will be older than the current R+L demographic.

17 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

I think there's younger attendees who are stuck with a weekend ticket or buying one because its the end of A-Levels for example and don't necessarily like grime who will see them just because it's KoL and they like sex on fire, use somebody etc. Also, I still think people in the age bracket of 28-50 still regard them as rock legends almost and would jump at the chance to see them. I mean I've never met anybody around my age who is an avid KoL fan

Y&YM and Aha Shake Heartbreak were both very good albums but my god Only By The Night was so overrated and after that I've always thought they've declined but evidently I'm wrong as they're still getting booked for big festivals now.

I guess we'll see when the festival rolls around but ultimately the people that are there that are genuinely KoL fans rather than there for the sake of it will be older than the current R+L demographic.

Yea possibly but we're not talking about how many people will be there whose fav band is Kings of Leon, just how much of a draw they'll be among people inside the gates. It's just they were an incredibly big rock band and a lot of younger peeps will have grown up listening to them as one of the first rock bands they got into (cos 10 year olds are hardly gonna be dismissing the credibility of Only By The Night) and wouldn't necessarily pony up for a KOL show so it'd be about their only chance.

I expect that Kings of Leon will do well in day ticket stakes (not a quick sell out though I don't reckon) and among people attending for the weekend. I doubt there'll be swathes of folk excited for Skepta on his third summer of this album. In fact there'll probably be loads of floating voters that entertain the thought of both the Kings of Leon and Skepta gigs and eventually decide on KOL cos its the big main stage headline act.

Edited by dentalplan

Let's not forget how many Dudey Rhino "guitar music only!!!" types there most likely are still at R&L (although ones that are into indie music rather than heavier stuff). KOL will get a decent sized crowd I'm sure, regardless of how naff a booking it is.

Indie music fans basically have no alternative that night and KOL will benefit from this. We've seen loads of people on Twitter etc. who already bought tickets before the lineup dropped and assumed Arctic Monkeys would be playing. I'd imagine most of these people will see KOL rather than the alternatives.

Basically I think KOL will get a decent sized crowd but it'll be very unreceptive aside from a couple of songs , and Skepta will also get a big crowd for the Radio One Stage.

4 hours ago, Eternal sunshine said:

Wouldn’t we have two logos of stages if that was the case and there aren’t any headliners left to be announced so who would even play there 

Playing devils advocate, they could keep posting the one stage logo and then one time do like a glitch thing and have it separate into two then announce it.

• Downvote 1

15 hours ago, Lukie74 said:

If Jaws were to be booked where do people reckon they'd play? See I can see them perhaps subbing FR or low nme but I think they're a lot bigger here in Birmingham than elsewhere by looking at their placements at small festivals they're playing 

Yeah I definitely feel they're bigger in the midlands (They're pretty known here in Coventry too, a load of people I know have drove to Derby among other places just to see them, which is pretty mad for a band of their size) but I could see them low NME or mid-high FR, not quite subbing though I don't think.

Edited by TheWaters

18 minutes ago, Bandit Tom said:

Playing devils advocate, they could keep posting the one stage logo and then one time do like a glitch thing and have it separate into two then announce it.

Given that they havent got rid of any of the stages, and looking at the headliners they haven't downsized any tents, I think it's safe to say it ain't happening as there would be no space for the second stage

5 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

Yeah I definitely feel they're bigger in the midlands (They're pretty known here in Coventry too, a load of people I know have drove to Derby among other places just to see them, which is pretty mad for a band of their size) but I could see them low NME or mid-high FR, not quite subbing though I don't think.

Tbf they have some pretty nothingy bands subbing FR quite often. Are JAWS (sorry dental) any smaller than Palace, Third Eye Blind, Saint Raymond, Lucy Rose, Little Comets and Bipolar Sunshine, to name a few recent examples?

Btw my phone wanted to correct 'sunshine' to 'aubergine'. Bipolar Aubergine is a much better band name.

5 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Tbf they have some pretty nothingy bands subbing FR quite often. Are JAWS (sorry dental) any smaller than Palace, Third Eye Blind, Saint Raymond, Lucy Rose, Little Comets and Bipolar Sunshine, to name a few recent examples?

Btw my phone wanted to correct 'sunshine' to 'aubergine'. Bipolar Aubergine is a much better band name.

Yeah you're right tbf, the only from that list I'd say is definitely bigger is Lucy Rose (although I could just be thinking that as she's local) but yeah I get what you're saying. 

I've just checked their Spotify page for the first time in a few months and they seem to have grown massively in listeners since then anyway, so could be a real shout.

Edited by TheWaters