Lineup 2018

Could it be possible we could still be due a sub for the KoL day? Could see all of them easily being pushed down a slot apart from the vaccines as they probably wouldn't have come back for a worse position than they had in 2016. Not saying I'm expecting it but with some of the randomness surrounding the lineup as a whole you never know what they're planning on springing on us next. 

23 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Could it be possible we could still be due a sub for the KoL day? Could see all of them easily being pushed down a slot apart from the vaccines as they probably wouldn't have come back for a worse position than they had in 2016. Not saying I'm expecting it but with some of the randomness surrounding the lineup as a whole you never know what they're planning on springing on us next. 

No

25 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Highly unlikely, The Vaccines won't drop down a slot.

6 minutes ago, ls2408 said:

Not sure if this has been posted but:

http://www.nme.com/news/music/reading-leeds-boss-responds-criticism-worst-ever-line-gender-inequality-2249147

Apparently the line-up represents popular music now, but KoL.....

Yup it was brought up the other day before NME reported on it.

The quote about ‘what people are listening to’ was in response to criticism over booking so many rap acts, so if you really want to pull at that thread it leads to Lil Pump headlining; Gucci Gang ad infinitum.

Edited by dentalplan

1 hour ago, BeardGlasses said:

How can Melvin Benn talk about not “drumming up” the same acts when of the of the top 6 acts, 5 of them have played within the past 3 years? And then there’s Kings of Leon, who are the worst band I’ve ever seen live

Yep. I wouldn't mind older bands if they were the types who rarely play and are exciting bookings, but how many times do The Courteeners, Vaccines, KOL, Fall Out Boy, Wombats etc need to be booked? 

2 hours ago, ls2408 said:

Not sure if this has been posted but:

http://www.nme.com/news/music/reading-leeds-boss-responds-criticism-worst-ever-line-gender-inequality-2249147

Apparently the line-up represents popular music now, but KoL.....

How do you make it 50/50 exactly? If you booked someone like Wolf Alice, that is still 75% male, not 50/50. Are there enough female solo acts who fit the music style of the festival? 

30 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

Yep. I wouldn't mind older bands if they were the types who rarely play and are exciting bookings, but how many times do The Courteeners, Vaccines, KOL, Fall Out Boy, Wombats etc need to be booked? 

It wouldnt even be a big issue if they had booked a couple of those, but all of them? I love a good bit of throwback 00's indie in the afternoon, but I don't wanna be stuck with it all the time.

Like to fix it I would:

- book Royal Blood instead of FOB

- book Paramore instead of Panic! (Optional but would have been dope for me as idc about Panic)

- book Foos instead of KoL

- just remove The Kooks and either bump Post all the way up to third down or just bump wombats and post up a slot each

- just remove The Vaccines (they're playing basically every FR fest this year anyways) and bump J Hus/Skepta up to third

13 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

It wouldnt even be a big issue if they had booked a couple of those, but all of them? I love a good bit of throwback 00's indie in the afternoon, but I don't wanna be stuck with it all the time.

Like to fix it I would:

- book Paramore instead of Panic! (Optional but would have been dope for me as idc about Panic)

- just remove The Kooks and either bump Post all the way up to third down or just bump wombats and post up a slot each

- just remove The Vaccines (they're playing basically every FR fest this year anyways) and bump J Hus/Skepta up to third

Agreed, but literally just swapping FOB for RB makes it a very decent lineup in my opinion.

If they're going for 'emo' acts like FOB and panic, they should at least have tried for paramore

Edited by R Shah

16 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Like to fix it I would:

Personally, if I were Melvin I'd simply just book Led Zeppelin. 

16 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Like to fix it I would:

This makes no sense. Why would replacing The Kooks with The Wombats be any better? Foos are as relevant as Kings of Leon are. And people would be furious is the upper half of the main stage had only one or two indie bands; you were complaining yourself there was too much rap on the first poster.

Seriously, can people just say that they don't like the acts playing rather than saying the festival has fallen off its path? Most bands who we thought were in contention to play higher up (Royal Blood, Paramore, Imagine Dragons, etc.) played on their last album so how is their repetition any better? And ten years ago - the lineups people fantasise over - were just as riddled with repeats as it is now. Bloc Party played NME headline>3rd>sub>sub in successive years!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

52 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

Are there enough female solo acts who fit the music style of the festival? 

probably not, tho Melvin and others are rolling out various measures that should help redress the balance to some extent at least.

It's not going to be an instant fix tho. It's going to take 5+ years to develop greater opportunities for females (and, get used to it guys, it's going to be at male expense).

Just now, dentalplan said:

This makes no sense. Why would replacing The Kooks with The Wombats be any better?

Because it aint a replacement. They'd be making more space for new interesting acts further down the lineup. They could get rid of Wombats and just pump post up a slot instead and that would work just as well, but Wombats are getting a better reponse according to the clashfinders

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Foos are as relevant as Kings of Leon are.

Agreed but Foos are considered a better live band and obviously sell a lot better than KOL, plus they've had more music recently and are a lot less "late 00's indie" than KOL

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

And people would be furious is the upper half of the main stage had only one or two indie bands; you were complaining yourself there was too much rap on the first poster.

You still got all the other acts there jesus. I was complaining that there was too much rap there for a first announcement fml (Like did you even read my post? I was very explicit in saying that there was too much for the first announcement, and if they had saved half of those names for the second announcement and released more rock the first time around imo it would have been better received). Obviously they had announced a bunch of acts for lower stages in that first announcement, but the "late 00's indie" is definitely clogging up all the top spots.

What I was suggesting they'd still have had Courteeners and Wombats/Kooks for their "late 00's indie" and would have had Wolf Alice on the NME one day which would have also appealed. Plus I'm sure Kendrick, Foos and Royal Blood all have enough crossover appeal with indie fans (plus the whole lower half of the lineup)

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Seriously, can people just say that they don't like the acts playing rather than saying the festival has fallen off its path?

Because they are booking acts that were playing 10 years ago and are now falling rather than newer interesting stuff (see Fall out Boy, who at peak popularity played 3rd down but at still somehow climbing)

9 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Most bands who we thought were in contention to play higher up (Royal Blood, Paramore, Imagine Dragons, etc.) played on their last album so how is their repetition any better?

At least in the case of Royal Blood they are a newer artist who is still getting bigger (same with Imagine Dragons but I'm not sure how R&L they are anymore). Paramore would at least have bought the female representation up and they've been on a much longer hiatus than FOB and Panic!...

And you must agree that 2 years is too short to be recycling headliners. IMO it should be too short to be recycling subs too but that obviously aint the case (and apparently not the case for headliners now either)

10 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

And ten years ago - the lineups people fantasise over - were just as riddled with repeats as it is now. Bloc Party played NME headline>3rd>sub>sub in successive years!

I know I'm in the minority but I don't fantasise about those lineups at all (I love more variety personally) and stuff like that I'm sure I would have complained about too if I wasnt busy in primary school or whatever :P

14 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Because it aint a replacement. They'd be making more space for new interesting acts further down the lineup. They could get rid of Wombats and just pump post up a slot instead and that would work just as well, but Wombats are getting a better reponse according to the clashfinders

Agreed but Foos are considered a better live band and obviously sell a lot better than KOL, plus they've had more music recently and are a lot less "late 00's indie" than KOL

You still got all the other acts there jesus. I was complaining that there was too much rap there for a first announcement fml (Like did you even read my post? I was very explicit in saying that there was too much for the first announcement, and if they had saved half of those names for the second announcement and released more rock the first time around imo it would have been better received). Obviously they had announced a bunch of acts for lower stages in that first announcement, but the "late 00's indie" is definitely clogging up all the top spots.

What I was suggesting they'd still have had Courteeners and Wombats/Kooks for their "late 00's indie" and would have had Wolf Alice on the NME one day which would have also appealed. Plus I'm sure Kendrick, Foos and Royal Blood all have enough crossover appeal with indie fans (plus the whole lower half of the lineup)

Because they are booking acts that were playing 10 years ago and are now falling rather than newer interesting stuff (see Fall out Boy, who at peak popularity played 3rd down but at still somehow climbing)

At least in the case of Royal Blood they are a newer artist who is still getting bigger (same with Imagine Dragons but I'm not sure how R&L they are anymore). Paramore would at least have bought the female representation up and they've been on a much longer hiatus than FOB and Panic!...

And you must agree that 2 years is too short to be recycling headliners. IMO it should be too short to be recycling subs too but that obviously aint the case (and apparently not the case for headliners now either)

I know I'm in the minority but I don't fantasise about those lineups at all (I love more variety personally) and stuff like that I'm sure I would have complained about too if I wasnt busy in primary school or whatever :P

Okay I totally don't get the argument that they should remove these high up acts and replace them from the bottom of the line up.

There's probably so much 2000's rock because acts popular rock music has been at a standstill since then. The post-punk revival and emo movements were the last ones anyone can recall in rock music and that's probably why those bands have staying power. The big ones since have been, like, grime, dubstep, trap and whatever else I've forgotten. Booking 'newer interesting stuff' isn't really possible when bands aren't getting the numbers to push them up to headline slots or sub slots. Again because, as Melvin addressed, the youth is moving away from rock music.

Fall Out Boy and Panic have both really done the same thing as Paramore and switched styles, but unlike Paramore they both remained shit but increased in popularity. I do agree that Fall Out Boy coming back after two years is daft, but a few months ago everyone was adamant they didn't really headline in 2016 so it's funny how that viewpoint has changed. :P

EDIT: forgot to mention - Foos do have a track record as live performers and sell better than KOL but they cost a hell of a lot more for that. Their live shows are obviously subjective because they bored the shit out of everyone who I spoke to that saw them at Glastonbury last year and dragged every song out to a nauseating extent so I don't really see the difference in live shows as a thing. RHCP went down great as a booking two years ago after one of the most widely panned headline slots in history.

Edited by dentalplan

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Okay I totally don't get the argument that they should remove these high up acts and replace them from the bottom of the line up.

It's mostly to get rid of the silly special guest tag on Post which has just made people more confused than it really should do (the amount of people on twitter wondering if Royal Blood will be the special guest is silly). Also that would then free up a bit more money for the slightly larger/more expensive headliners

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

There's probably so much 2000's rock because acts popular rock music has been at a standstill since then. The post-punk revival and emo movements were the last ones anyone can recall in rock music and that's probably why those bands have staying power. The big ones since have been, like, grime, dubstep, trap and whatever else I've forgotten. Booking 'newer interesting stuff' isn't really possible when bands aren't getting the numbers to push them up to headline slots or sub slots. Again because, as Melvin addressed, the youth is moving away from rock music.

Agreed it's tricky but this year they didnt even try. As much as I hate The Hunna they would have been a more interesting booking than Wombats/Kooks/Sum41 etc.

And regarding acts not getting enough numbers, Wolf Alice's latest album did better than Fall out Boy's most recent album on the first week. Heck Fall Out Boy have never had a no. 1 album, but Royal Blood, The National (who admittedly arent that R&L imo), London Grammar (again maybe not that R&L), Bastille and The XX have done recently.

Now this aint saying that all the above are appropriate to headline, but they could have done a heck of a lot better in those top spots. Heck The Kooks' last album debuted at 16 on the charts...

13 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Fall Out Boy and Panic have both really done the same thing as Paramore and switched styles, but unlike Paramore they both remained shit but increased in popularity. I do agree that Fall Out Boy coming back after two years is daft, but a few months ago everyone was adamant they didn't really headline in 2016 so it's funny how that viewpoint has changed. :P

I mean, I stand by that (in the same way Panic! aint really coheadlining). But they did bill them as headliners which was stupid at the time. And if we consider them subs then, then why the fuck are they being bumped up that much when their last album was shat on by everyone (even fans)