Lineup 2018

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

Have you seen the kinds of crowds $uicidboy$ attract and how heavy their sound is live with the live band they have sometimes? That’s why they’re playing that stage. I’ll give it to R&L, getting Papa Roach to headline that tent is a great booking considering how high they would play at DL now. 

I havent butits not a grime stage, if you are going to book that then just have one pit and one lockup and fit it all in those.

In fairness Papa Roach wouldn't play that high at Download....4th down best and maybe still 5th, the except this year is that Guns cost a packet even though I still think placings at the fest are off a lot anyway but maybe my dislike and the saturated field of play so that's not my issue here. I'm glad for one if it is The Distillers under Sum 41 or above but I doubt that....either one is fine, that they don't clash with Pendulum and I'd rather see Sum 41 again probably that Papa Roach who I have most twice in the last few years. Friday for me is still a washout and Sunday has Hollywood Undead in the tent which would be fun but nothing else. I think the FR top lines look poor compared to last few years too.

19 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

Bring Me The Horizon secret set between Deaf Havana and Pendulum :ph34r:.

Tbf at least it would stop Deaf Havana somehow subbing 2nd stage/being able to play 4th on main....that's crazy

15 hours ago, Steve1000 said:

They fancy a break? They're rich enough and couldn't justify the travel and other expenses and inconveniences for the price they were offered?

Honestly, I don't have a clue but they definitely tried there hardest to get them, they know this is a terrible lineup and they're not stupid.

Im sorry but there is no way dave grohl would ever turn down a chance to play reading. There mustve been something else

Edited by R Shah
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Lukie74 said:

That's what I was thinking. I do buy into the former though as it seems odd having Deaf Havana that high 

But they’ll still be that high on the line up, given that it’s a secret set they’d be knocked down for. Plus in practice it would clash Deaf Havana and PATD. There’s never been a case where they’ve ‘corrected’ an act’s slot by means of inserting a secret set.

2 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

Sum 41 aren't going to be 4th down on Main are they? Reckon Pierce The Veil might slot in above them.

Sum 41 are bigger than them, I'm sure. They headlined 2nd at Download, are a big established band that everyone knows and can sell out Brixton still. 4ths a fair slot for them.

17 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I havent butits not a grime stage, if you are going to book that then just have one pit and one lockup and fit it all in those.

In fairness Papa Roach wouldn't play that high at Download....4th down best and maybe still 5th, the except this year is that Guns cost a packet even though I still think placings at the fest are off a lot anyway but maybe my dislike and the saturated field of play so that's not my issue here. I'm glad for one if it is The Distillers under Sum 41 or above but I doubt that....either one is fine, that they don't clash with Pendulum and I'd rather see Sum 41 again probably that Papa Roach who I have most twice in the last few years. Friday for me is still a washout and Sunday has Hollywood Undead in the tent which would be fun but nothing else. I think the FR top lines look poor compared to last few years too.

Tbf at least it would stop Deaf Havana somehow subbing 2nd stage/being able to play 4th on main....that's crazy

It’s a good thing that $uicideboy$ aren’t anything relate to grime then, isn’t it. 

At Download, Papa Roach would be 4th down main or sub second, possibly even headline at a push, which are still prominent slots, so I think having the headlining that tent at R&L is a really decent booking. 

Agree on Deaf Havana 100%, they’re oddly high (whilst Don Broco are oddly low :ninja: ) 

54 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

It’s a good thing that $uicideboy$ aren’t anything relate to grime then, isn’t it. 

At Download, Papa Roach would be 4th down main or sub second, possibly even headline at a push, which are still prominent slots, so I think having the headlining that tent at R&L is a really decent booking. 

Agree on Deaf Havana 100%, they’re oddly high (whilst Don Broco are oddly low :ninja: ) 

Suicide okay not grime but are a hip act, what I meant is though put them on a stage catering for that and cut down on the rocker days if you can't fill it.

I've never seen Roach outside but I'd take them in a tent over it, being short is much more ideal to see them but it's a great booking. They are not however headlining 2nd stage at Download I'm any given year, last time I saw them at an academy I literally phoned the venue and turned up on the night to purchase a tickets on the door in a 3k capacity venue.

I knew Don Broco would annoy you but they were never getting 3rd down main....I don't see them going anywhere myself.

19 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Suicide okay not grime but are a hip act, what I meant is though put them on a stage catering for that and cut down on the rocker days if you can't fill it.

I've never seen Roach outside but I'd take them in a tent over it, being short is much more ideal to see them but it's a great booking. They are not however headlining 2nd stage at Download I'm any given year, last time I saw them at an academy I literally phoned the venue and turned up on the night to purchase a tickets on the door in a 3k capacity venue.

I knew Don Broco would annoy you but they were never getting 3rd down main....I don't see them going anywhere myself.

There has always been crossover acts playing that stage, though, whether that be HO99O9 or Carpenter Brut last year. I don’t see the issue when you have some rappers playing the dance tent; it’s no different. 

Papa Roach are a solid academy band and sell out Brixton whenever they come over. I don’t think too many people would scratch their heads if they were to headline second at DL. NOFX and Sum 41 have done so in recent years. 

You might not see Broco going anywhere but they are only going one way. Just look at their growth over the past 5/6 years. I’m sat looking at the 2012 lineup poster I have on my wall and they were playing the FR tent. Now they’ve got a Top 5 album, they’ve sold out multiple UK tours and sold out Ally Pally. 

They have said that the NME Stage is their favourite stage to play so that might be why they’re there. I don’t think anyone can say that they didn’t expect Broco to be quite a lot higher. Whilst third might have been a stretch, they’re comfortably big enough to play fourth down Main. 

Edited by Andre91

2 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

I've been wondering since last year now, but I've noticed crossover acts in the lock up/pit before over the years, but why were The LaFonatines on the 1Xtra??? I'm sure almost no one in there had heard of them and would've been more suited in the pit/lock up.

I’m sure that most people in there watching them had heard of them, given it was first thing and those who hadn’t and weren’t bothered could be anywhere else at that point.

Seriously what is the obsession recently about complementing acts with other acts to service people who aren’t interested either way? It’s a festival - they want people moving between stages and buying refreshments and stuff.

13 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

I've been wondering since last year now, but I've noticed crossover acts in the lock up/pit before over the years, but why were The LaFonatines on the 1Xtra??? I'm sure almost no one in there had heard of them and would've been more suited in the pit/lock up.

I saw the lafontaines in the 1xtra tent last year and although it was pretty empty, as you’d expect on a Sunday morning first thing, the crowd were definitely enjoying it - I think at that time in the day it didn’t make much difference what tent they were in

That said, I saw a band called the riptide movement one year in the dance tent, first thing one day, just out of curiosity, and although they’re not what you’d expect in the dance tent everyone was loving it!

Edited by zak14

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

They can fit in anywhere? Why before certain acts on particular days?

The saturday was more to stop Deaf Havana subbing that stage

The friday was more me thinking it would be more likely to be similar to the QOTSA situation where thry do both sites on the same day

3 hours ago, Steve1000 said:

Yes there is. Why wouldn't there be?

The amount of times he's gone one about how he loves this festival in particular, and the UK is beyond count. They absolutely adore this country. They came over just for the brits. They came over just to close the invictus games. They came over to play a pub to announce theyre headlining Glastonbury. Dave would've 100% said yes if they'd been asked to play so I'm just unsure as to what else could've gone wrong except from in terms of financial issues or something.

Edited by R Shah
  • Downvote 2

34 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

The saturday was more to stop Deaf Havana subbing that stage

They’d still be subbing the stage though. Secret sets don’t count towards the running order - they’re just a gap in the schedule.

If they just announced an act there, they wouldn’t be - that seems more reasonable if it’s necessary to bump Deaf Havana down, but then the top two stages would be Panic vs. Deaf Havana. Probably just better to accept this is one of the thousand times the lineup doesn’t sync with our predictions.

16 hours ago, alexlloyd said:

I don't know how Melvin could say that about rebooking acts with a straight face. Out of interest I looked at when the top line last appeared... I didn't actually realise it was this bad :lol:

IMG_3475.PNG

It's unnecessarily annoying me that you posted this as a screenshot rather than just copying and pasting it.

15 hours ago, frontsidecab said:

I've seen this a few times and I have to disagree. They played a lot of the new album and I guess it depends on how you feel about that as to how much you enjoyed it but seeing them for the first time I thought they were good. Their biggest problem was that they were overshadowed by System of a Down, Royal Blood, Foo Fighters and others who were brilliant across the weekend.

I saw KoL at Werchter in 2013. Was looking forward to it considering I loved their first three albums, had never seen them before and their setlists back then were actually still decent.

They were fucking shite.

3 hours ago, dentalplan said:

They can fit in anywhere? Why before certain acts on particular days?

Because if Nothing But Thieves fans turn up an hour early they want to have someone on who they'll enjoy instead of hurting their ears with BMTH.

Similarly people who turn up early for Pendulum will only enjoy another freakishly abysmal band for sweaty freaks, so you give them BMTH.

3 hours ago, JSmurphy said:

Sum 41 aren't going to be 4th down on Main are they? Reckon Pierce The Veil might slot in above them.

If anyone slots in above them I'd expect it to be The Hunna given that they told someone on here they'd been offered a main stage slot, liked several posts from R&L on social media regarding announcements and they have tour dates still on sale.

1 minute ago, R Shah said:

The amount of times he's gone one about how he loves this festival in particular, and the UK is beyond count. They absolutely adore this country. They came over just for the brits. They came over just to close the invictus games. They came over to play a pub to announce theyre headlining Glastonbury. Dave would've 100% said yes if they'd been asked to play so I'm just unsure as to what else could've gone wrong except from in terms of financial issues or something.

You know people in bands have lives outside of music? Maybe Dave Grohl has plans with his family or something. Maybe his cousin's getting married that weekend and he's best man. Anything could have stopped them playing.