Lineup 2018

I'd say the undercard is just as weak/strong as last year, if not slightly stronger.

FOB and KoL are weak, but Kendrick is the best headliner they've had in years so he kinda makes up for it.

They'd probably have fared better/created more hype if they just held off a bit and made today's announcement the first.

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn

1 minute ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

They'd probably have fared better/created more hype if they just held off a bit and made today's announcement the first.

I think the first announcement was destined to be completely shat on given what everyone expected. Probably best to get the stinkers of headliners out the way and completely floor expectations, so that whatever's in the next announcement is destined to be well received.

They fucked up big time by not announcing some of these bands in the first announcement. If the first one hadn't gone down so badly this would be lapped up on social media but people are giving it abuse because of the first announcement. Honestly though, replace a couple of those rappers with mid-tier indie bands, add a bigger draw like Catfish or someone over P!ATD, and then replace FOB with an actually decent headliner like Foo Fighters, Arctic Monkeys or even someone smaller like Royal Blood on a co-headline, and it looks really strong. Obviously there's reasons they never booked those bands but if you imagine the lineup as it is with those changes it would definitely be the strongest since 2015 (which I personally think was a very strong year, probably the best lineup since 2012 before it).

11 minutes ago, TOMHAMPTON said:

Not sure, I'd love for them to be there but they've played the last 3 years so I wouldn't think so since they haven't been announced already.

Also really like RAT BOY, especially live, but never sure whether to refer to it as a "he" or a "them"...

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, thelemon said:

They fucked up big time by not announcing some of these bands in the first announcement. If the first one hadn't gone down so badly this would be lapped up on social media but people are giving it abuse because of the first announcement. Honestly though, replace a couple of those rappers with mid-tier indie bands, add a bigger draw like Catfish or someone over P!ATD, and then replace FOB with an actually decent headliner like Foo Fighters, Arctic Monkeys or even someone smaller like Royal Blood on a co-headline, and it looks really strong. Obviously there's reasons they never booked those bands but if you imagine the lineup as it is with those changes it would definitely be the strongest since 2015 (which I personally think was a very strong year, probably the best lineup since 2012 before it).

'If the lineup was completely different it would be really strong'

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, thelemon said:

Honestly though, replace a couple of those rappers with mid-tier indie bands

Some of the rappers I assume you're talking about are the best/most inspired bookings. I don't know who else you'd suggest as mid-tier indie bands because there's already a fair few on there and they're all pretty old boring repeat bookings.

I think it would have gone down better if they did the normal method. KoL in first announcement, alright abit beige but still a big band and thow some of the most exciting undercard in, wouldn't be too controversial. Kendrick announcement 2, people still are happy, full poster announcement, they'll take some flack but people don't expect much more. Happy days.

6 minutes ago, El_Mago said:

'If the lineup was completely different it would be really strong'

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

I think you're onto something here...

Yeah I mean, not really my point though...

I was actually trying to say that the lineup isn't that bad in line with the last few years, it's just a couple of notable bookings that's are letting it down. Don't get me wrong it's hardly a classic but I don't think this lineup deserves this stick.

I was just saying it's very close to being a good lineup.

2 minutes ago, R Shah said:

Tbh if royal blood were instead of FOB i would consider it a strong year. Or even if RB were co headlining with FOB.

Yeah, even that would go a long way to make it look not half bad

Just now, Steve1000 said:

I think it would have gone down better if they did the normal method. KoL in first announcement, alright abit beige but still a big band and thow some of the most exciting undercard in, wouldn't be too controversial. Kendrick announcement 2, people still are happy, full poster announcement, they'll take some flack but people don't expect much more. Happy days.

Exactly. KOL look weak because the others are weak but Kendrick is a big draw so if the other hadnt been FOB, then even KOL would look good because they'd be considered the "weak" headliner and really, they're a pretty good booking in that regard. I remember a few people asking for them last year...

4 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Yeah I was thinking exactly the same before. Would've eased the blow a bit and puts into perspective how similar it is in quality to last year.

1 minute ago, R Shah said:

Tbh if royal blood were instead of FOB i would consider it a strong year. Or even if RB were co headlining with FOB.

Yeah I think it'd have gone down better too. We know Royal Blood aren't touring then so maybe they tried for that.

2 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

I would agree. Though I'm pretty sure the Kings of Leon booking is supposed to have been only wrapped up this month.

1 minute ago, thelemon said:

Yeah I mean, not really my point though...

I was actually trying to say that the lineup isn't that bad in line with the last few years, it's just a couple of notable bookings that's are letting it down. Don't get me wrong it's hardly a classic but I don't think this lineup deserves this stick.

I was just saying it's very close to being a good lineup.

Aye I'm just messing. It's just a very obvious shout to suggest a very sketchy headline choice is replaced by uber-popular stadium headliners. :P

10 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Some of the rappers I assume you're talking about are the best/most inspired bookings. I don't know who else you'd suggest as mid-tier indie bands because there's already a fair few on there and they're all pretty old boring repeat bookings.

The Mist, Lil Pump etc. Although it doesn't even really matter who, it's more the sheer overload of rappers that makes it look weak. And they don't even have to be mid-tier, could even just be a few more buzz bands along the lines of Shame.

1 minute ago, thelemon said:

The Mist, Lil Pump etc. Although it doesn't even really matter who, it's more the sheer overload of rappers that makes it look weak. And they don't even have to be mid-tier, could even just be a few more buzz bands along the lines of Shame.

Yeah good point, they could've replaced Lil Pump with a decent indie rock act to headline the 1xtra stage.