Lineup 2018

17 minutes ago, Plussix said:

Yeah they really should've just tacked Queens on as the Friday headliner. Jack White would've also been an infinitely more interesting Sunday headliner.

Serious question: would Arcade Fire go down better than KoL at RandL? Last album aside, Arcade Fire would definitely look better on the lineup to me, but I could just be biased (and I have no idea if they were available, either).

Can only speak for myself but arcade fire would probably be enough to tempt me to buy a ticket. As it is I’m looking at getting a day ticket for Kendrick day at the most

11 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Out of boredom I've drawn up my ideal 2018 lineup.

I've tried to make it semi-realistic by only including acts that are definitely active this summer. Obvs a lot are exclusives/headlining elsewhere or not in Europe that particular weekend, but in theory they all coulda been booked for the festival had they been available. I've not included anyone (I think) that obviously wouldn't play R&L, don't think anyone is too high/low, and I've included a few acts I'm not as fussed about but the festival should be booking and giving a push (Don Broco, NBT etc.). I've also tried to get a semi-realistic mix of genres, although obviously my own biases will have influenced it a lot.

Done full main stage and just over half NME.

Fri
Main: 
Florence & the Machine, The xx, Wolf Alice, Nothing But Thieves, Peace, Declan McKenna, Fickle Friends, Black Honey, Anteros
NME: Childish Gambino, Anderson .paak & the Free Nationals, Dave, Brockhampton, AJ Tracey, The Big Moon

Sat
Main: 
Kendrick Lamar, Chvrches, Dua Lipa, J Hus, Mastodon, Creeper, Alien Ant Farm, Idles, Astroid Boys
NME: Pixies, Don Broco, Death From Above, Pvris, King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard, Alvvays, Shame

Sun
Main: 
Foo Fighters, The Prodigy, Weezer, The Distillers, The Gaslight Anthem, Marmozets, Beartooth, Arcane Roots, Black Foxxes
NME: Jungle, Sigrid, Jorja Smith, The Amazons, Car Seat Headrest, Pale Waves, Rex Orange County

After typing that out I've realised there's a couple that I'm not 100% sure are touring this summer, but I'm pretty sure almost all of those are.

That would probably sell me a weekend ticket. A couple more acts I like on the 1extra stage and The Pit/Lock Up would make it the best lineup in recent years. It's obviously not as easy as all that but this would be an infinitely better lineup that'd satisfy plenty of the demographic, what could've been if they'd had a bit of imagination.  

Just now, Takyon said:

That would probably sell me a weekend ticket. A couple more acts I like on the 1extra stage and The Pit/Lock Up would make it the best lineup in recent years. It's obviously not as easy as all that but this would be an infinitely better lineup that'd satisfy plenty of the demographic, what could've been if they'd had a bit of imagination.  

Yeah gotta reiterate tho, there's a fair few there that they couldn't have booked due to exclusivity elsewhere/not being available for the actual weekend. But just one or two of those acts could make this years lineup look a lot stronger.

46 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Thought Contagion out tomorrow guys so at least R&L won't be the biggest disappointment of the week.

B-b-but Bellamy said it's Fury 2.0 ...

Really though they've got the producer from Absolution/BH&R working on this one, so really hoping it's at least a decent track and not another Dig Down.

4 minutes ago, angrygary said:

Has this been thrown around yet? Saw it on Twitter an hour ago 

IMG_20180214_033718.jpg

Yeah, I saved it to my device on January 18th when I first saw it. My feeling is this could still potentially happen. Maybe Florence for example couldn't make it or she's not active, so KoL have stepped in. FoB and Kendrick have been confirmed. Travis Scott was leaked by FoB tweet / Post Malone added due to the baby and yes a tiny change in the dates but that's to be expected. Honestly this is by far the closest we've had so for those who are disappointed, there still could be hope

36 minutes ago, angrygary said:

Has this been thrown around yet? Saw it on Twitter an hour ago 

IMG_20180214_033718.jpg

28 minutes ago, NationClub said:

Yeah, I saved it to my device on January 18th when I first saw it. My feeling is this could still potentially happen. Maybe Florence for example couldn't make it or she's not active, so KoL have stepped in. FoB and Kendrick have been confirmed. Travis Scott was leaked by FoB tweet / Post Malone added due to the baby and yes a tiny change in the dates but that's to be expected. Honestly this is by far the closest we've had so for those who are disappointed, there still could be hope

Somebody on this forum made it.

1 hour ago, Bisque said:

Aren't Sum 41 awful live? Not seen them myself but friends have not rated them & when they were popular about 15 years ago they mimed on TV.

They're OKish. Not the best live band around but much better than KOL tbh. They were pretty good when they came back from the hiatus in 2015/16 but somehow underwhelming when I saw them last year. Anyway, one of the more interesting acts announced.

6 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Out of boredom I've drawn up my ideal 2018 lineup.

I've tried to make it semi-realistic by only including acts that are definitely active this summer. Obvs a lot are exclusives/headlining elsewhere or not in Europe that particular weekend, but in theory they all coulda been booked for the festival had they been available. I've not included anyone (I think) that obviously wouldn't play R&L, don't think anyone is too high/low, and I've included a few acts I'm not as fussed about but the festival should be booking and giving a push (Don Broco, NBT etc.). I've also tried to get a semi-realistic mix of genres, although obviously my own biases will have influenced it a lot.

Done full main stage and just over half NME.

Fri
Main: 
Florence & the Machine, The xx, Wolf Alice, Nothing But Thieves, Peace, Declan McKenna, Fickle Friends, Black Honey, Anteros
NME: Childish Gambino, Anderson .paak & the Free Nationals, Dave, Brockhampton, AJ Tracey, The Big Moon

Sat
Main: 
Kendrick Lamar, Chvrches, Dua Lipa, J Hus, Mastodon, Creeper, Alien Ant Farm, Idles, Astroid Boys
NME: Pixies, Don Broco, Death From Above, Pvris, King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard, Alvvays, Shame

Sun
Main: 
Foo Fighters, The Prodigy, Weezer, The Distillers, The Gaslight Anthem, Marmozets, Beartooth, Arcane Roots, Black Foxxes
NME: Jungle, Sigrid, Jorja Smith, The Amazons, Car Seat Headrest, Pale Waves, Rex Orange County

After typing that out I've realised there's a couple that I'm not 100% sure are touring this summer, but I'm pretty sure almost all of those are.

Look at that top 6 on Sunday, it's £75 maybe for a day ticket.......how do you think they justify?, huge stadium band costing around on their own, another £45 act below, a rare act followed by two come back acts including a bands most popular album in full.

Kendrick is the most disappointing one for me, don't really think he's that good but probably just not me. LOL 8 years ago and FOB the same....nothing after Infinity but I know enough of the last two, I'd still be looking for alternate stages though. They have defo tried to grab some of V's audience and Wireless seeing how well it sells. 

I really hope FR plan on releasing some bigger rock acts in the next announcement because right now there's only a handful on bands/artists I would see..

Also can't help but think that Panic! was a last resort, surely they didn't initially plan to have them co-headline?? they're no more than 3rd down on the mainstage imo.

2 hours ago, Bisque said:

Aren't Sum 41 awful live? Not seen them myself but friends have not rated them & when they were popular about 15 years ago they mimed on TV.

I thought they were outstanding when I saw them, but granted that was 2003! Someone I know saw them at Download last year and said they were really good.

I'm definitely not in the target market anymore, but there's a barely a single act on the line up currently that is a 'must see' for me. I'm sure a few mid level indie / guitar bands will get added, and the Festival Republic stage tends to always be decent so I'll wait and see what comes in the next announcement. This will be my 20th consecutive Reading and I'm wondering if it's time to retire!

12 minutes ago, R Shah said:

Foos are bound to play some sort of secret shows next week right? They always do that when they come over? I would love if they announced reading like that. Friday night co headline with fall out boy. I still have hope !!!

By doing that you're putting FOB in the same league as Foo, never going to happen unfortunately. This festival won't be rescued.

10 hours ago, VCK said:

There needs to be a new festival with a line up similar to how Reading and Leeds used to be.

The amount of great bands who are active in the summer, who the festival has missed out on because they feel they don't fit the demographic.

I'm not suggesting a weekend's worth of dad rock, but it'd be great to have a festival where someone like Weezer or the Manics or Morrissey or Pixies or whoever would play alongside newer up and coming acts. If Hip Hop is the in thing right now, then bring in veterans of the genre like Public Enemy, Ice Cube and Wu Tang.

I really think they've underestimated how many 16-24 y/o's listen to older music too. The Stone Roses gigs were a real mixture and I assume the Foo Fighters shows at the Etihad and Wembley will be the same in the Summer.

Kendall Calling having managed to book RUN DMC, so it's not like there aren't any veteran hip hop acts around at the moment.

Lovebox have managed to book Childish Gambino, Anderson .Paak, SZA, Vince Staples, etc. Not only are RnL booking mainly hip hop, but they seem to be after the more generic gimmicky stuff you hear on the radio (BROCKHAMPTON and Kendrick aside).

• Upvote 1