Lineup 2018

I have watched a few Kendrick Lamar vids now. Just a bloke shout rapping over a backing track with fancy production. Not for me at all. I'd rather watch Eminem mime. Or go and watch British sea Power and savages again.

Anyways, FR have exposed themselves badly here. I think they had a strong trio in the bag. Because of this they thought they try and put paid to competitors like Rambling Man. They stuck QotSa and a tidy line up at Finsbury to compete with that. All of a sudden, "circumstances" happen and there is only one strong headliner and everybody else has own shows/other festivals and the pool is spread very thinly. There probably won't even be a green camp at Leeds this year.

Panic at the Disco have got dirt on someone high up in the British Music industry. That Mona Lisa song has been played consistently on R1 for years. It must have filled their guitar music quota or something. And now this, boom, headline status. I smell something and it's a bit like kippers. 

Edited by devilman
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

1 minute ago, devilman said:

Anyways, FR have exposed themselves badly here. I think they had a strong trio in the bag. Because of this they thought they try and put paid to competitors like Rambling Man. They stuck QotSa and a tidy line up at Finsbury to compete with that. All of a sudden, "circumstances" happen and there is only one strong headliner and everybody else has own shows/other festivals and the pool is spread very thinly. There probably won't even be a green camp at Leeds this year.

You're the only person FR are competing with Ramblin Man for. :P

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AndrewSmith said:

Further back in this thread, there was the suggestion that someone had heard there was going to be changes and 6 headliners were to be booked for 2018.

Anyone think that this could still be the case and they've got two more headliners (e.g. Royal Blood/Imagine Dragons/Paramore/30STM) to be announced later on to keep the flow of tickets going?

Otherwise their new PR company/plan literally couldn't have gone much worse.

I feel like they would have alluded to there being more to come if that were the case. The fact the press release said "Kendrick Lamar, Kings of Leon, Fall Out Boy and Panic at the Disco are your #RANDL2018 headliners" seems pretty final. I also reckon that of they had Royal Blood/Paramore etc. booked they would've announced at least one of them instead of Panic/FOB. 

There might be something to the idea that they were gunning for 6 headliners on 2 stages but it didn't work out and they were left with the 4 we have now and no other viable options. Or more likely is that they just ballsed the whole thing up. 

Edited by Takyon

5 minutes ago, AndrewSmith said:

Further back in this thread, there was the suggestion that someone had heard there was going to be changes and 6 headliners were to be booked for 2018.

Anyone think that this could still be the case and they've got two more headliners (e.g. Royal Blood/Imagine Dragons/Paramore/30STM) to be announced later on to keep the flow of tickets going?

Otherwise their new PR company/plan literally couldn't have gone much worse.

Suppose they did RB would be good on main stage 2 after FOB and maybe paramore before/after KoL. Would be very pop punk heavy but can't see ID / 30STM warranting a headline slot that's been held back. 

Regardless, doubt the 2 stage thing will happen now. Just got to accept we've got the main bulk of the high up acts 

I saw Panic! Back when they did Ally Pally in 2016 and it was good, not amazing but good. I can't see them going down well headlining, they pulled an alright sized crowd in 2015 but nothing in comparison to the headliners usually bring.

Also, co-head with Kendrick? Surely would fit better co-heading with FoB.

1 hour ago, DR OK said:

Thing with Royal Blood is if they headline now it rules them out of coming back at all for around 4 years unless they are on a downward trajectory. Instead they can do a headline slot this year and prove that they are capable of doing it at a big sized festival then step up to reading. They couldn't really do Reading this year then the other fest next year. 

If I am right I am not sure they have headlined any decent sized festival anywhere before? They are playing the long game and its probably for the best they wait.

Why? FOB came back after two years.

What about another (probably wrong) theory:

These headliners were booked a couple of years ago. Kings of Leon released a new album, and they saw how their show at BST went down and sold and thought they could be a good booking. Equally Fall Out Boy, they saw the somewhat hype around their new album and thought it would be a good booking. And then Panic! had a sort of big anticipation surrounding their new stuff, more so alongside Fall Out Boy but still.

Maybe at the time, Arctic Monkeys hadn't fully realised their future schedule and return, and maybe that was the best R&L could find.

Then they saw the reactions to the new stuff and tours from Fall Out Boy, Kings of Leon and Panic!, but it was too late to change. They would keep hoping that there would be some way for Arctics or Foos to join the lineup, but if they said they'd already booked the headliners then it might have been too late.

Equally with the new PR company, it would take time to settle in with that and maybe all the new availability of the big headliners passed them by.

1 minute ago, oscs said:

These headliners were booked a couple of years ago. Kings of Leon released a new album, and they saw how their show at BST went down and sold and thought they could be a good booking. Equally Fall Out Boy, they saw the somewhat hype around their new album and thought it would be a good booking. And then Panic! had a sort of big anticipation surrounding their new stuff, more so alongside Fall Out Boy but still.

Maybe at the time, Arctic Monkeys hadn't fully realised their future schedule and return, and maybe that was the best R&L could find.

Then they saw the reactions to the new stuff and tours from Fall Out Boy, Kings of Leon and Panic!, but it was too late to change. They would keep hoping that there would be some way for Arctics or Foos to join the lineup, but if they said they'd already booked the headliners then it might have been too late.

Equally with the new PR company, it would take time to settle in with that and maybe all the new availability of the big headliners passed them by.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I doubt they'd have all headliners booked multiple years prior. Wouldn't surprise me if they got one in early but not all and not that early 

Just now, oscs said:

Unfortunately that'd mean the claim of R&L only just booking the final headliner in the past couple of weeks (assumed KOL) not to be true.

3 minutes ago, oscs said:

they probably only booked these headliners yesterday

1 minute ago, oscs said:

I think it's been clear to anyone keeping tabs on music that all 3 bands have been on a downward trajectory for a while. Can argue about FOB still getting commercial success, but their newer albums have been nowhere near as acclaimed/popular as their older stuff. KoL have gathered less interest with each album they've put out since Only By The Night and honestly I didn't know Panic were still putting stuff out lol

1 minute ago, AndrewSmith said:

Unfortunately that'd mean the claim of R&L only just booking the final headliner in the past couple of weeks (assumed KOL) not to be true.

1 minute ago, Lukie74 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I doubt they'd have all headliners booked multiple years prior. Wouldn't surprise me if they got one in early but not all and not that early 

Fair enough. Just trying to see how else they could have come to the conclusion that today's lineup was worth the wait.

4 minutes ago, Chris Vincent said:

I know it’s a stupid suggestion but FR wouldn’t do something like they did with Guns n Roses in 2002 where they were almost like a bonus headliner but with maybe Foos or AM 

9E91DB04-E79B-4463-ABB0-6C23D857BB59.gif

Muse, Ash, Weezer, Foos, Prodigy, Offspring, Slipknot, DEP, NOFX, Jane's Addiction! What a good lineup!

EDIT: The Breders, Aphex Twin, The Streets, Alkaline Trio, Andrew WK, Puddle of Mudd, JEW

Edited by TornShaun

Just now, El_Mago said:

I feel like the lineup is still salvageable up to a point when they put out the full stage splits and list of acts. But my god it is going to take a miracle 

This is only about 20% of who’s playing. Of course it’s salvageable. We have reason to believe acts as big as Travis Scott, The Vaccines, Logic and Chvrches are being held over for next announcement.

Quite possibly a stupid question but, excluding the headliners, is this announcement the 'biggest' acts that will appear on the lineup, or will there be more acts to be announced that are reasonably popular? Or will the future announcements just be much smaller bands/djs playing on the smaller stages