Lineup 2018

6 minutes ago, Hawky said:

No point releasing all the best acts at once, then the other announcements will be weak and in turn will not result in hype/ ticket sales. 

Would agree if they were using last year's announcement strategy but this certainly gives the impression that it's a big announcement, and like I said earlier the format doesn't help - for example it is showing high slots for acts like Sigrid (yet to release an album) and Nothing But Thieves, and people will (maybe correctly) now have the impression that that's as good as it is going to get.

All the main festivals have declared all or most of their top ends now, and people will be making decisions on that basis, not hanging on to see what R&L are holding back, given the quality of what they've announced so far.

As someone said earlier, from this point onwards last year (first sighting of the poster in this format) only the Liam Gallagher announcement changed the order of the top end.   I think (hope) there's going to be more change than that but can't see many big game-changers - they've set a bar by confirming Panic as a headliner.

1 minute ago, MIchael_scarn said:

100% especially without kendrick co-headlining, think that'd actually get me to go with 2 headliners I'd actually want to see with it potentially being 0 at the moment if the they get Panic to close a site. It's not as if Biffy aren't around either, they're doing shows end of June with more to be announced I believe.

My only thought is maybe Biffy didn't want to be replacement headliners again, unless I'm misremembering they were brought in last minute in 2016 due to someone dropping out. 

I'm hoping Panic are just a glorified sub like Fall Out Boy were. I should have a house in Leeds come August so I was planning on going for the Kendrick day with a couple of friends and making a bit of an event of it but I'm not interested in shelling out £80+ if Panic close Leeds.

1 minute ago, jamieaslee said:

I'm sure if they'd asked Kendrick to play for two hours he would have been able to. His show in Birmingham lasted around 1hr20m and there were so many songs from TPAB and Section 80 he could add to the set. I suppose the bigger question is why Panic!

He’s touring the same setlist every night so I doubt he’d want to add a whole bunch of new production/visuals just for R/L. From what I understand he’s got a pretty well choreographed show so will just be doing the same thing for all his shows. Easier said than done to add an extra 40 minutes on to that.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

He’s touring the same setlist every night so I doubt he’d want to add a whole bunch of new production/visuals just for R/L. From what I understand he’s got a pretty well choreographed show so will just be doing the same thing for all his shows. Easier said than done to add an extra 40 minutes on to that.

Could be the case that he just doesn't have the stamina to go two hours either. Rapping's hard work. 

16 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Somebody said he only played for an hour fifteen on his tour so guess this makes sense. Still though... Panic! at the Disco. Just a baffling choice. They really must’ve struggled to secure their headliners this year. Wonder how many they went through before they landed on this final 4.

Other festivals just give him an hour and a half and he doesn't fill it but it doesn't matter. That's definitely not the reason Panic at the Disco are headlining.

If word is to be believed, it comes from trying to put together a second main stage which Panic at the Disco would have been a headliner of, but now that's not happening. I don't know why that means there's a replacement on Sunday and Fall Out Boy on Friday but it is more sensible than Kendrick not playing for long enough.

10 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

I could name an endless amount of acts that would have been much better than FOB. 

From the last couple of hours I have gleaned that people would rather bands they like headline instead of Fall Out Boy.

Edited by dentalplan

8 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

That's true, the show in Birmingham ran really smoothly and was very explosive due to how fluently it ran, makes sense now. I'm sure Kasabian didn't play longer than 1hr 30m though? Although, they weren't the big headliner last year.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Tbf that's not strictly true bc people were suggesting Royal Blood just because it gets a new up and coming band as a headliner. But the likes of Biffy and The Libertines as have been suggested have no bigger right to headline than Fall Out Boy do at this point.

Reckon they would have gone down better than FOB have though- at least would have appealed to the indie crowd

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Tbf that's not strictly true bc people were suggesting Royal Blood just because it gets a new up and coming band as a headliner. But the likes of Biffy and The Libertines as have been suggested have no bigger right to headline than Fall Out Boy do at this point.

Royal Blood deserve it more than anyone else but I was simply saying if they're no longer taking the gap into account I'd much rather see Biffy on the bill than FoB, not saying it should've happened just would much rather it. I'm very annoyed that Royal Blood were somehow behind fall out boy, panic and kings of leon in the pecking order.

Edited by MIchael_scarn

Further back in this thread, there was the suggestion that someone had heard there was going to be changes and 6 headliners were to be booked for 2018.

Anyone think that this could still be the case and they've got two more headliners (e.g. Royal Blood/Imagine Dragons/Paramore/30STM) to be announced later on to keep the flow of tickets going?

Otherwise their new PR company/plan literally couldn't have gone much worse.