Lineup 2018

1 minute ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

They didn't even need a massive act like Foos/AM to make it a decent lineup. Booking FOB & KoL has proper mugged off acts like Royal Blood, Paramore & Florence. Can't see why they'd not favour any of those three over FOB & KoL, they're all seemingly around this summer.

This

1 minute ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

They didn't even need a massive act like Foos/AM to make it a decent lineup. Booking FOB & KoL has proper mugged off acts like Royal Blood, Paramore & Florence. Can't see why they'd not favour any of those three over FOB & KoL, they're all seemingly around this summer.

BMTH would’ve been a great headliner too. Would’ve been a R+L success story to have them on the top of the bill after working their way up. Would’ve resonated with a large segment of the demographic. Doesn’t mean they can’t do 2019, but it might’ve been a very good thing to do it this year.

4 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

There is a lot on this line-up that would appeal to 16-20s.....a lot on this board now are just going past that barrier. Dua Lipa is a very good booking for them tbf given their current market now.

Maybe....but Fall Out Boy is still full of kid fans.

Not sure I agree with this. Not sure I know many teenagers that would want Kings Of Leon (I guess most of them only know sex on fire and use somebody) over say Arctic Monkeys or Royal Blood.

Heck, Paramore would tick the same boxes as Fall Out Boy but would be female fronted and they haven't played the fest in the past 2 years

4 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Even Festival No 6 has outdone R+Ls first announcement. The The, Franz Ferdinand, Friendly Fires, Everything Everything, Django Django, The Horrors. Sums up how poor it was really.

Why did they book the Horrors!? It ruins the pattern of every act having two words starting with the same letter! 

First of all, probably the worst first lineup I've seen for R&L... Without a doubt looking like it will be really bad. I was going through the lineup seeing names like Lil Pump and just laughing. I thought he was one of them jokey meme type acts like whoever made "What Does The Fox Say" or that Watch Me Whip track. Didn't realise people actually liked him! some bands I've never heard of and others had me thinking I'd stepped into a shitty emo festival in 2005... Also, are Panic really a headliner? That's just ridiculous.

I think there's a very small handful of good acts here. Kendrick is good but I feel like if you're having a rapper taking up one of the slots you're other two have got to be at least decent size rock bands. As dead as KOL are it wouldn't be so bad if the other one was a Foo Fighters, Arctic Monkeys, The Killers etc. Even a co-head with Royal Blood and someone like Paramore or QOTSA would've worked. It'd have been a weak set but not unforgivable. FOB and Post Malone at the top of one of the days though is unforgivable. Genuinely appalling that they've booked that. Even if they stick someone in between the two it's gotta be good to make up for that monstrosity and realistically is there any self-respecting band or artist in the world that wants to play in between Post Malone and fucking Fall Out Boy. Jesus Christ.

As of now it's Wolf Alice, The Courteeners, The Wombats and Kendrick that are making it even slightly acceptable, along with a few decent little acts like Pale Waves and Dream Wife. Skepta would be good too, but I'm not sure that the grime  artists  should  really be the big draws. They're more like the acts you use to fill in the blanks to pack the lineup out. I mean this is Leeds not Wireless.Dua Lipa and Sigrid are decent but they're not the kind of acts you go to R&L for imo. I'd like to see them but only if nothing else better is on. They're good bookings but is anyone thinking "oh I wasn't gonna go but Sigrid is gonna play for half an hour so I'll spend £200 to go and see that"? Unlikely.

• Upvote 1

I think the arrogance of people saying 'stop crying because you didn't get arctic monkeys, this lineup is lit' sums up the contingent of who's going this year. Majority of people aren't upset that they're not there, they're upset that the sheer amount of other options that were supposedly available being bypassed for ones that are w*nk excluding Kendrick. I genuinely feel sorry for which festival has FoB, P!atD and KoL closing their nights.

2 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

I think the arrogance of people saying 'stop crying because you didn't get arctic monkeys, this lineup is lit' sums up the contingent of who's going this year. Majority of people aren't upset that they're not there, they're upset that the sheer amount of other options that were supposedly available being bypassed for ones that are w*nk excluding Kendrick. I genuinely feel sorry for which festival has FoB, P!atD and KoL closing their nights.

I don't think Panic will close either site, similar to 2016 with Biffy/FOB

5 minutes ago, justanothername said:

What time does this happen at? Really want to see 

Not sure in Work atm so can’t check, it’s around when he’s talking about why they book bands of different genres after each other and I commented saying ‘it’s clearly not the running order you melt’

Yeah it's obvious that Kendrick has used up all their money tbh. I don't think they should spend it on rap music though. Hopefully next year they look at the amount of backlash they got this year and book more decent indie/rock acts which is clearly still what the fans want. On a side note Foos played it in 2012 so definitely not too soon to have them again so that can't be it. FOB co-headlined in 2016, Eminem played in 2013 and 2017, Biffy in 2013 and 2016. If they wanted to save money they should have got a Catfish and Libertines co-headline. Young fans would be over the moon with Catfish and the slightly older ones would go mental for The Libertines. Tbh either of the Gallaghers would probably also have gone down better than FOB has done.

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, DR OK said:

IBut when your superstar headliner commands the fee that Kendrick does (the highest fee ever paid by Reading apparently) its going to impact their budget and corners will have to be cut somewhere.

Really? Higher than Eminem? That’s surprising, and if true pretty much kills the dream of him doing Glastonbury in the next few years as he hardly needs the exposure either.