Lineup 2018

Just now, Honeybane said:

1) the line up announcement is delayed because they haven't released their UK tour dates yet 

If they wanted to do things earlier then they could have announced a different headliner months ago. If AM are booked there's no way they are single handedly the reason for a later announcement.

2 minutes ago, Honeybane said:

2) they can't play 0 major English festivals 

It's unlikely, but they definitely could. (Aware this is a very different band but) Radiohead did just that in 2016, they played a fair few European festivals that Summer but didn't do any in the UK till 2017. Plus they had their album out before summer, as of yet there's not confirmation that the new AM album would be out before Summer in which case they may not even have any new released material since the last time they played R&L.

I'm not trying to argue there's no chance of AM, I do think they're a possibility. But the arguments that you gave don't really suggest that they're a dead cert.

4 minutes ago, Honeybane said:

logic 

1) the line up announcement is delayed because they haven't released their UK tour dates yet 

3) they are THE R and L band in terms of who they attract and how they are marketed (not as much as a pertinent point than the others but true nonetheless)

someone pls explain why they are being dismissed as a headliner? If so revert to point 1 and 2 

eFestivals has heard they’re not playing (however doesn’t know if it’s true for sure), the guy who runs the Arctic Monkeys fansite doesn’t believe they are playing, and there are rumours of them doing their own shows either in London or Sheffield in lieu of festivals.

5 minutes ago, Honeybane said:

logic 

3) they are THE R and L band in terms of who they attract and how they are marketed (not as much as a pertinent point than the others but true nonetheless)

someone pls explain why they are being dismissed as a headliner? If so revert to point 1 and 2 

Right so here is what i think. They will headline either 2019 or 2020. Maybe even 2019 Glasto. I feel it would be wrong if they headline this year and Foos don't. Foos will be stopping after this year whereas AM are just getting ready for a few years of touring and playing festivals. I also feel that AM will do some stads instead of Uk fests but that something we will have to wait and find out. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

5 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

If they wanted to do things earlier then they could have announced a different headliner months ago. If AM are booked there's no way they are single handedly the reason for a later announcement.

It's unlikely, but they definitely could. (Aware this is a very different band but) Radiohead did just that in 2016, they played a fair few European festivals that Summer but didn't do any in the UK till 2017. Plus they had their album out before summer, as of yet there's not confirmation that the new AM album would be out before Summer in which case they may not even have any new released material since the last time they played R&L.

I'm not trying to argue there's no chance of AM, I do think they're a possibility. But the arguments that you gave don't really suggest that they're a dead cert.

hahaha I remember that Radiohead year when we was all on the glasto one moaning about Adele and Coldplay and starting rumours radiohead were gonna play in the car park. Good times.

Somewhat agree but p sure all festivals had already had arranged headliners in place prior to RH announcing a comeback, could be wrong but I remember there being timing issues that year.

14 minutes ago, Honeybane said:

) the line up announcement is delayed because they haven't released their UK tour dates yet 

I agree completely

9 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

eFestivals has heard they’re not playing (however doesn’t know if it’s true for sure), the guy who runs the Arctic Monkeys fansite doesn’t believe they are playing, and there are rumours of them doing their own shows either in London or Sheffield in lieu of festivals.

I don't think ANYONE knows about their UK tour schedule, remember Neil saying Tramlines but that's it. They've kept their cards close to their chest.

• Downvote 1

Just now, Honeybane said:

I don't think ANYONE knows about their UK tour schedule, remember Neil saying Tramlines but that's it. They've kept their cards close to their chest.

Well the fansite guy seemed to know everything about their festival schedule beforehand, and TRNSMT was a pretty open secret for a few months, Tramlines was never anything more than whispers and if there is a ‘UK tour’ then there’s no R+L.

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Well the fansite guy seemed to know everything about their festival schedule beforehand, and TRNSMT was a pretty open secret for a few months, Tramlines was never anything more than whispers and if there is a ‘UK tour’ then there’s no R+L.

mate everyone on here knew they were doing Mad Cool, Primevera, Rock Wertcher etc. That didn't come from him 

12 minutes ago, Honeybane said:

mate everyone on here knew they were doing Mad Cool, Primevera, Rock Wertcher etc. That didn't come from him 

The guy knew so much that he was dishing out exact days they were playing, even down to a random festival in Greece.

10 minutes ago, Honeybane said:

and I read a TRSMT rumour last year from Radio X - if something comes from Radio X it's not secret, their journos suck

But you were saying their UK shows were so closely guarded?

Edited by dentalplan

35 minutes ago, Honeybane said:

any ANYONE that says about not being able to afford AMs and Foos - they had Eminem AND Muse last year.

oh, and do they jus get Fall Out Boy on the cheap every 2 years? They must have nudes of Mr. Festival Republic

Muse probably weren't that big of a get last year, they had already been touring for 3 years, and tbh I doubt sold as well (or cost as much) as Foos or Arctics.

3 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Muse probably weren't that big of a get last year, they had already been touring for 3 years, and tbh I doubt sold as well (or cost as much) as Foos or Arctics.

Wouldn't be so sure on Arctic Monkeys being a bank-breaker. They're playing ~25,000 capacity European festies. Obviously that's Europe where they're not as big as here but still. 

I don't think booking both Foos and Arctics is unreasonable but it's a stretch to think neither will fully utilise their popularity to do big outdoor shows and stadiums here.

1 minute ago, justanothername said:

The conversation is boring and we've had it like of hundreds of times already. 

Fuckin aye

4 minutes ago, justanothername said:

The conversation is boring and we've had it like of hundreds of times already. 

Even after the line up is announced without AM people will still be convinced they are playing in some shape or form, whether it be a secret set, or randomly after a headliner (Ala that one TRNSMT rumour from last year) so no doubt this conversation is going to continue all the way through till August too, sadly.

3 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

If the headliners are Royal Blood / Imagine Dragons (or Paramore), Kendrick and Foos then it could be the first time in a fair few years that all the headliners are actually British festival exclusives (bar maybe R1BW). Can't really see any of those headliners making an appearance elsewhere, although I suppose it's a bit too soon to say.

From a quick google the last time the festival had 3 exclusives was 2013, although Biffy did play R1BW.

Might Foos still play TRNSMT?

1 hour ago, Honeybane said:

any ANYONE that says about not being able to afford AMs and Foos - they had Eminem AND Muse last year.

oh, and do they jus get Fall Out Boy on the cheap every 2 years? They must have nudes of Mr. Festival Republic

Muse didn't sell out their day tickets till about a week before the festival even with Liam as a support - foos and arctics will sell out their days instantly regardless of support. Muse are awesome but they are just not on the same level as foos or arctics. Eminem was meant as the bigger headliner with muse as the inbetween and kasabian as the cheaper headliner.

5 minutes ago, Aech said:

Might Foos still play TRNSMT?

Nah they have a us tour starting 7th July and the only trnsmt slot left is 6th july. Tbh I thought they were nailed on for Sunday 1st July until AM rumours started to circulate . They will probably do Glasgow summer sessions with r+l.

Edited by R Shah

6 minutes ago, R Shah said:

Muse didn't sell out their day tickets till about a week before the festival even with Liam as a support - foos and arctics will sell out their days instantly regardless of support. Muse are awesome but they are just not on the same level as foos or arctics. Eminem was meant as the bigger headliner with muse as the inbetween and kasabian as the cheaper headliner.

It isn't as rigid as you're making it out to be. Both Eminem and Muse are huge headliners and could easily be the biggest headliner in any given year. Kasabian are probably a mid-level headliner. Last year's trio was just a stronger trio than usual.

I agree that Muse aren't on the same level as Foos or AM but they're still in the top bracket.

8 minutes ago, R Shah said:

Wouldn't be so sure, Arctics didn't even sell out the presale when that went up for TRNSMT.

8 minutes ago, R Shah said:

Nah they have a us tour starting 7th July and the only trnsmt slot left is 6th july. Tbh I thought they were nailed on for Sunday 1st July until AM rumours started to circulate . They will probably do Glasgow summer sessions with r+l.

Yeah that makes them all the more likely for R&L then I suppose, who's the favourite for the last TRNSMT headliner?