Lineup 2018

2 minutes ago, moams said:

If she is there then pretty sure it would be either sub or 3rd down on the main. Can’t see her being nme headliner but I could be wrong

Aye I'd agree, NME headliners is possible but she'd be better suited subbing/third on main.

6 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I wouldn't say Dua is as big as Lorde surely? And people were only predicting Lorde to be 3rd down/NME headliner...

Dua Lipa is certainly bigger than Lorde, at least with the R&L crowd. And just because you mentioned it, I did predict Lorde to be a main stage sub at one point, but since the Parklife announcement I wouldn't place her so high (although she almost definitely won't be there at all).

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn

8 minutes ago, zak14 said:

I may be completely wrong but I feel like Dua Lipa would be an NME sub at most, there’s no denying she’s huge at the moment but I think a lot of people would struggle to tell you more than two or three songs

New Rules, Be The One, Hotter Than Hell and IDGAF - that's more solid crossover hits than Lorde has tbh.

Edited by Zac Quinn
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, zak14 said:

I may be completely wrong but I feel like Dua Lipa would be an NME sub at most, there’s no denying she’s huge at the moment but I think a lot of people would struggle to tell you more than two or three songs

She's got way more than 3 massive songs, her album sold really well and she's got an arena tour later this year. She's way bigger than any of last years NME subs (Glass Animals, Tory Lanez & Halsey), she'd be NME headliner at the very least.

1 minute ago, Bandit Tom said:

Could it be possible that we get an announcement every Wednesday from now until the Brits? 

- 1 headliner 5ish bands next Wednesday 

- Same the 14th 

- Final headliner and a much bigger announcement/poster on the night of the Brits

Sounds like a good idea but if they drop an announcement with 1 headliner and 5 bands, people would lose there shit. Been a bit of a wait and to only release 6 bands would annoy a lot of people and doubt it would sell compared to a big announcement. BUT it does sound like a good idea dude :) 

1 minute ago, Bandit Tom said:

Could it be possible that we get an announcement every Wednesday from now until the Brits? 

- Same the 14th 

- Final headliner and a much bigger announcement/poster on the night of the Brits

I mean.. yeah it's a possibility. I'll be amazed if you've predicted that correctly considering there's nothing at all indicating that's what's happening. It's pretty hard to predict how they're going to announce this year as it's clearly different from previous years.

26 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

She's got way more than 3 massive songs, her album sold really well and she's got an arena tour later this year. She's way bigger than any of last years NME subs (Glass Animals, Tory Lanez & Halsey), she'd be NME headliner at the very least.

I mean she has what 4 songs? That must be similar levels to Halsey (who also had a second album out at the time). She's probably more mainstream than her, but I aint sure I'd peg her that much higher (definitely not subbing. Even if she played at Zombie V I wouldn't think she'd sub)

2 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I mean she has what 4 songs? That must be similar levels to Halsey (who also had a second album out at the time). She's probably more mainstream than her, but I aint sure I'd peg her that much higher (definitely not subbing. Even if she played at Zombie V I wouldn't think she'd sub)

None of Halsey's biggest singles have been anywhere near as big as Dua Lipa's biggest singles though. And again, Dua Lipa has an arena tour coming up, you'd struggle to find many NME subs in the recent past who were also playing arenas the same year.

3 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

By Dua Lipa standards, Halsey has 1 song. Didn't Lipa break some sort of nominations record for this year's BRIT Awards or something?

15 minutes ago, Bandit Tom said:

- Same the 14th 

I'm surprised the 'Brits week' rumour is still so popular given that stuff from the same source - two main stages w/ Fall Out Boy headlining - have fallen by the wayside.

• Upvote 1

Just now, randlfan said:

I've good reason to believe Dua Lipa will be there, and if so I'm expecting her to be 2nd/3rd main. NME sub would be ludicrous.

I think 3rd down sounds right. Thirty Seconds to Mars will probably sub Kendrick because of their tour dates and I can't imagine Dua Lipa subbing Foo Fighters or Royal Blood/any other candidate so I can't see it being anything else.

11 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

None of Halsey's biggest singles have been anywhere near as big as Dua Lipa's biggest singles though. And again, Dua Lipa has an arena tour coming up, you'd struggle to find many NME subs in the recent past who were also playing arenas the same year.

I mean Closer is probably bigger than any Dua Lipa song though (admittedly not completely her song but ya know). Dua's debut got to no. 5, Halsey's got to no. 9, Lorde's got to no. 1....

I ain't saying Dua aint big, but subbing festivals as big as R&L? 3rd down at a push, but NME headliner seems a lot more likely imo.

Halsey - NME sub

Dua - NME Headline

Lorde - 3rd Down

8 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I mean, it spent longer at no. 1 than all of Dua's songs combined so....

So? It's throwaway cheap rubbish most people will have already forgotten existed. New Rules is one of the iconic songs of this generation. 

Edited by Zac Quinn

1 minute ago, Zac Quinn said:

So? It's throwaway cheap rubbish. New Rules is one of the iconic songs of this generation. 

I mean I'm a big dua song but I don't see how New Rules is anything unique or iconic. The prechorus is pretty catchy, and then the "drop" is just a generic tropical future-bass  using a bunch of vocal chops. It wasn't even that popular in the grand scheme of things (11th most downloaded in the year), it wasn't Despacito or Shape Of You big.

Closer aint any better mind you (and the dude from Chainsmokers should really stop trying to sing, and the songwriting kinda sucks) but in terms of size it's pretty clear Closer is the bigger song. However much you hate it, it dominated radio play for the end of 2016 into 2017 (came 7th in 2016 and 71st in 2017).

1 minute ago, Mattymooz said:

I mean I'm a big dua song but I don't see how New Rules is anything unique or iconic. The prechorus is pretty catchy, and then the "drop" is just a generic tropical future-bass  using a bunch of vocal chops. It wasn't even that popular in the grand scheme of things (11th most downloaded in the year), it wasn't Despacito or Shape Of You big.

Closer aint any better mind you (and the dude from Chainsmokers should really stop trying to sing, and the songwriting kinda sucks) but in terms of size it's pretty clear Closer is the bigger song. However much you hate it, it dominated radio play for the end of 2016 into 2017 (came 7th in 2016 and 71st in 2017).

Closer is a Chainsmokers song, not Halsey, and so this whole argument is moot. Dua Lipa is making huge waves all on her own and all of her successful singles are her own. I don't think I've heard a single Halsey song outside of that Chainsmokers feature, and her lineup position reflected that. Dua Lipa's would reflect her own much bigger success.