Lineup 2018

I feel like everyone who is saying AM are bigger than Green Day didn't live through Green Day's peak (or were too young to remember it). Globally they are the bigger band. It is more debatable in the UK. Personally, I still think Green Day.

It's a bit of an arbitrary debate though really as it's impossible to directly quantify the size of a band. I always think the 'this band are bigger than this band' arguments a bit stupid but here I am getting involved in one :lol: 

1 minute ago, CRW5252 said:

I feel like everyone who is saying AM are bigger than Green Day didn't live through Green Day's peak (or were too young to remember it). Globally they are the bigger band. It is more debatable in the UK. Personally, I still think Green Day.

It's a bit of an arbitrary debate though really as it's impossible to directly quantify the size of a band. I always think the 'this band are bigger than this band' arguments a bit stupid but here I am getting involved in one :lol: 

you not heard of facebook likes son?

• Upvote 2

Obvs mean Arctics are bigger in the UK rn. Yeah green day are a bigger global band and I'm well aware of how big they were in their peak, but there's no dispute that AM are a bigger band in the UK now. No one else comes close.

1 minute ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Obvs mean Arctics are bigger in the UK rn. Yeah green day are a bigger global band and I'm well aware of how big they were in their peak, but there's no dispute that AM are a bigger band in the UK now. No one else comes close.

How are they the biggest band in the UK right now? They haven't released an album since 2013

14 minutes ago, moams said:

How are they the biggest band in the UK right now? They haven't released an album since 2013

The hype and anticipation surrounding their return has been bigger than any other artist who has taken a break and come back. Foo fighters were rumoured to break up in 2016, the killers took basically 3 years off, rhcp had a 5 year gap, Metallica had 8 years, and yet none of their returns compare anywhere near to the hype around AM. Maybe it's because also the AM complete social media hiatus and secrecy added to the whole tension and build up. The fact that they haven't released anything since 2013 and still have this much hype shows just how big they are.

Edited by R Shah

28 minutes ago, moams said:

They haven't released an album since 2013 yet they're still the biggest band, says it all. Can you name anyone bigger?

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn

AM are coming off the back of a very very (probably one of their most commercially successful) albums so the demand for them is high. The demand for Green Day is nowhere near.

If Green Day and Arctics were to announce a show tomorrow Arctics would probably sell out faster.

However, they are two completely different bands that cater to completely different audiences and are not really comparable at all. However commercially and (probably ticket selling wise) Arctic Monkeys are bigger in the UK.

edit: also no one is expecting Green Day to be bigger than arctic monkeys right now

Edited by Matt42

Also you have to remember that readings 16-18-year-old attendees (i'd say a large portion of the festival attendees) were teenagers when AM was released. Quite a lot of them have probably grown up with the 'newer' arctic monkeys when they were at their peak. Therefore they are a band that are still fresh and relevant to R&L's audience. I was 7 when American Idiot came out and I got that album as a present. Listened to it on repeat for months. I'd say Arctic Monkeys are a bigger deal to reading's current audience... but then again they aren't bands you can really compare. It all just comes down to who attends the festival now

2 minutes ago, Rhysob99 said:

I’ve seen brockhampton mentioned a few times here and can’t really remember how likely people though they’d be so, how likely are they for Leeds?, why, if likely? And  if likely, what stage??

Playing Oya, Flow, Way out West and Haven (all in Scandinavia) 2 weeks before R&L

2 hours ago, R Shah said:

Metallica had 8 years, and yet none of their returns compare anywhere near to the hype around AM.

When did Metallica go away for 8 years? Also, the only place I see AM hype is on this thread. Out in the real world people only remember them for that good on the dancefloor song and the changes when the sun goes down one.

• Downvote 4

4 hours ago, devilman said:

When did Metallica go away for 8 years? Also, the only place I see AM hype is on this thread. Out in the real world people only remember them for that good on the dancefloor song and the changes when the sun goes down one.

You need to change your echo chamber settings on Twitter 

• Upvote 2

I personally think Green Day are the better band but I can see why in the UK people would prefer AM. They are definitely more in demand atm especially after the long break they've had. 

Love both bands, they're both completely different so not even worth comparing. It's a fact that Green day have had more global success, but in the UK in recent years AM win with popularity. 

9 hours ago, justanothername said:

Ruled out for both. ATDI are clearly their "biggest US headliner ever" and I don't see them doing any more dates on top of that and don't see them coming back in August for R&L

I dunno man, they're gonna be in the UK a week after 2000 trees, plus 2000 trees tweeted "our dream headliner has just been made possible" the day Gaslight reformed and they've been favouriting tweets saying things like "I hope gaslight are going to be a 2000 trees this year" 

(I'm clutching at straws in case you hadn't noticed)