Lineup 2018

8 minutes ago, moams said:

I thought he said last week that he knew a relative of someone in Arctic Monkeys who confirmed that they weren’t there and they will lose some fan base with their new album. Can’t make his mind up this guy 

I know, its contradictory. Couldn't decide what to have for breakfast.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, gfa said:

I reckon they could still play, the shows they have are about 2 hours away which is not really far but if you think about the demographic teens aren't going to travel 2 hours to get to their shows. I think they could be tempted by an overly high placing though, perhaps subbing on the co headline day? I can't decide if they'd be 3rd or 2nd on a normal day really so subbing the co headline if it happens is the middle ground.

It's not so much whether the band are interested in doing it, it's whether FR see there is enough value in the booking - is it worth them paying a sub headline fee for a band that can be easily seen somewhere else, earlier in the summer, not that far away (and in the case of the Newcastle show, relatively cheaply)?  Similarly the promoters of APE aren't going to take the gamble on selling a Catfish headline show if they are playing high at R&L.

I reckon the same applies to Courteeners (in relation to the Warrington show) but I know that most people think they are nailed on.

18 minutes ago, pepesilvia said:

this is also a massive reach but the reading ambasssdor is up for 2018 when it wasn’t a week ago, which maybe means that FR are at least prepping. i ain’t a detective though

What do you mean it’s up? As in you can sign up for it now? Where have you seen this as I can’t find it. There has been a Facebook group for it, which I’m in, for about a month now saying it’ll start “very soon” but again, that was start of the month.

13 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

What do you mean it’s up? As in you can sign up for it now? Where have you seen this as I can’t find it. There has been a Facebook group for it, which I’m in, for about a month now saying it’ll start “very soon” but again, that was start of the month.

https://reading.onverve.com/campaign/reading/recruit?lang=en-GB

its functional from the looks of it, but doesn’t seem to be finished (in the ‘how it works’ section there’s stuff like “Sell X tickets & Earn a X || Sell X tickets & X || Sell X tickets & Earn a X || Sell X tickets & Earn X || Sell X tickets & Earn X”). 

Edited by pepesilvia

1 hour ago, gfa said:

I reckon they could still play, the shows they have are about 2 hours away which is not really far but if you think about the demographic teens aren't going to travel 2 hours to get to their shows. I think they could be tempted by an overly high placing though, perhaps subbing on the co headline day? I can't decide if they'd be 3rd or 2nd on a normal day really so subbing the co headline if it happens is the middle ground.

Now my question is, do people think Glass Animals will be at any other festivals this year, its not looking likely due to the early dates at the moment june/july? Tramlines maybe would be the best for me if Arctics play - because convincing power - as i'm from London but nobody I know is interested in the APE day (plus its like £70 which is pretty pricey since i'm most interested in GA) Guessing they won't be at r&l as great as it would be also wondering people's thoughts on Foster the People? They only have US dates announced and they are early summer so possible they'll be over right?

If Catfish play, they will be no lower than main stage sub. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Dudey Rhinos has just said in a stream that a 'source' says RB will headline NME and AM and Kendrick are confirmed headliners. Sure. 

Anyone who has even the slightest bit of knowledge about festivals would realise there is no chance RB will play NME

1 hour ago, R Shah said:

Thing is they haven't played in 3 years and are one of few rock bands who appeal to a lot of younger kids. They have a track record of playing outdoor shows at random places and festivals hence they keep being booked by other promoters but FR do like them still they booked them for community festival in 2017. A lot of ppl reckon they could headline latitude though.

APE is run by AEG, Live Nations biggest rival. They kind of have a war on atm with act exclusivity, and there is rarely any crossover with the large acts. I really doubt catfish will be there (or Latitude). I think they're more likely for a Latitude headline next year (after a new album was out). Let's face it, their Community headline show last year was a snoozefest lmao, it aint a big issue they aint gonna be there when you can see them at a £30 festival a few weeks before (at least if you are in the north).

Also, regarding The Kooks, I think them being announced for Sziget makes them much more likely. I also ain't sure if Wombats are doing any festivals this year (I haven't seen them announced for anything yet at least)

Edited by Mattymooz

8 hours ago, Edduk98 said:

So i was thinking about the whole 2 stage thing again. Here is an image of what reading fest looks like from above and i can not see a second stage fitting in? They would surely have to remove some tents for it to work? The main stage is in the top right corner and the field space is just good enough for that one stage. A second main stage doesnt look like it could fit at all? Unless the main stage is smaller but there are two of them? That could work but in my opinion it wont work out at all.

2018-01-25_1549.png

Apparently they’ve asked for planning permission to extend further over the other side of the river (where white camp is). If that’s true, then maybe they could move the campsites round to create space? That would explain why the lineup’s out later this year 

Will be interesting to see if this 2 stage thing materialises. I don’t think any UK actually has a festival that has double main stage arena, so I’ll be paying close attention to whether it suits the major UK festival scene!

There’s potentially both positives and negatives to the two stage format:

(-) I don’t like the fact that it reduces the likelihood of strong alternative bands to the main stage as more of the budget will be spent on the greater number of acts on the main stage as a result of greater number of acts.

(+) more acts playing in the main arena.

(-) likely to draw many people from other parts of the site, making them feel lonely.

(+) less agonising waiting between acts. 

(-) reduces the exclusivity factor of the mainstage acts, hopefully not reducing quality.

(+) not as many people trying to get a good position in the crowd for the next act, thus being disinterested in the act playing at the time. 

(+) more time to concentrate on set production, greater chance of impressive light shows.

I might’ve missed out a couple of pros or cons but these spring to mind. 

What are your thoughts? 

3 hours ago, willutalk said:

Will be interesting to see if this 2 stage thing materialises. I don’t think any UK actually has a festival that has double main stage arena, so I’ll be paying close attention to whether it suits the major UK festival scene!

There’s potentially both positives and negatives to the two stage format:

(-) I don’t like the fact that it reduces the likelihood of strong alternative bands to the main stage as more of the budget will be spent on the greater number of acts on the main stage as a result of greater number of acts.

(+) more acts playing in the main arena.

(-) likely to draw many people from other parts of the site, making them feel lonely.

(+) less agonising waiting between acts. 

(-) reduces the exclusivity factor of the mainstage acts, hopefully not reducing quality.

(+) not as many people trying to get a good position in the crowd for the next act, thus being disinterested in the act playing at the time. 

(+) more time to concentrate on set production, greater chance of impressive light shows.

I might’ve missed out a couple of pros or cons but these spring to mind. 

What are your thoughts? 

I think now they’ve started introducing a lot more grime etc. and have a wider audience to please, the pros do slightly outweigh the cons and I’m quite excited about it. It’s good in the sense of, if you don’t like one headliner that day, chances are you might have an interest in the other. But I agree, I really hope they don’t use it as a way to cop out on big rock headliners because I’d much rather have three, and have the likes of Green Day or MCR with fucking Brian May again, than have six that are only big enough to co-head (even if it does mean sacrificing one to Stormzy or someone like that haha). 

I didn’t really think about the affect it would have on the smaller stages, I think it’ll just draw down to how strong the bands on each stage are. Because I’ve seen bigger crowds pouring out the NME tent during the headliners than main stage before. If you look at Twenty One Pilots in 2016 whilst either Foals or Disclosure were on.

My main worry is that the atmosphere on each of the main stages won’t be as good if there’s two of them. But I guess people will either go and see someone or they won’t, like if Kendrick Lamar was on main stage I wouldn’t go and see him either way. I’d probably go and check out whoever’s playing the pit/lock up. But if they’re increasing the capacity, hopefully with more people there it will all even out, and there won’t be a noticeable impact. 

If it does happen though, I really hope it reduces people waiting in the crowd for the next act, especially if they’re gonna have somthing like Korn into major laser and Eminem again. Some of the speculated bands that I’m most stoked for this year will probably be lower down on main stage, and it’ll be such a buzzkill if the crowd is filled with people with no interest in that genre whatsoever. 

It’d be sick if they had one main stage for Alternative bands and one for grime etc. Because that’s what I love about the pit/lock up stage, if there’s a gap where nobody I really like is on, I know if I go to that stage I’m gonna have a good time. 

I don’t really know how the budget side of festivals work, but if they’re increasing the capacity and putting more tickets on sale, surely it’ll increase the budget to some extent? So maybe they could have more acts, with them still being just as strong? 

Sorry for the essay, this ended up being way longer than I thought 

Edited by somethingpersonal

1 hour ago, somethingpersonal said:

I’d nut if Alkaline Trio headlined the pit, does anyone know how likely they are? 

I'm sure I read that Matt is taking a break from Blink for a bit and he's been writing new material for Trio whilst on tour. Hopefully that means a new record could be out this year and they make their way over here

Also, you know Dudey Rhino said about the whole AM being a headliner from a source and RB headlining NME stage. He obviously doesnt feel sure about that rumour as his chucked it into a stream! If he wanted to get that news out he would do a 5 min video with a title about that subject?? If you get what i mean haha! Basically, a video based on the idea because he feels its legit but just chucked it into a stream because his not 100% sure about it and would be a wasted video. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Edduk98 said:

Also, you know Dudey Rhino said about the whole AM being a headliner from a source and RB headlining NME stage. He obviously doesnt feel sure about that rumour as his chucked it into a stream! If he wanted to get that news out he would do a 5 min video with a title about that subject?? If you get what i mean haha! Basically, a video based on the idea because he feels its legit but just chucked it into a stream because his not 100% sure about it and would be a wasted video. 

God who cares?

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 6