Lineup 2018

Just now, dentalplan said:

But there's no guarantee that they'll be playing shows three months after that (I'm sure they will be, R+L or not). So we're back where we started. :P

Aye I know it's not suddenly conclusive that they'll be at R&L because they've been announced at a festival in the US in May, it's just a small bit of information that makes it seem slightly more possible. My wording probably overstated it but I wasn't suggesting that this is the confirmation we needed.

28 minutes ago, C14S said:

Yeah but I don’t see how they copied them?

Not "copied" as in actually nicked their songs but they're very clearly affected by Queens' sound and vibe and the vocals and guitar playing is pretty White-lite as well, and it was obviously the vision of Warner Bros to emulate those bands when they signed them. I'm sure even most of their fans would agree they're unoriginal but don't care either way.

Anyway I'm not knocking them as loads of people love all three bands but it'd just be a bit grim to see those two playing support for Royal Blood even if they are bigger here.

edit: additionally Jack White has hated Black Keys for years because he thought they ripped him off, and they sound bugger all like The White Stripes. Can't imagine his thoughts on Royal Blood.

Edited by dentalplan

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Not "copied" as in actually nicked their songs but they're very clearly affected by Queens' sound and vibe and the vocals and guitar playing is pretty White-lite as well, and it was obviously the vision of Warner Bros to emulate those bands when they signed them. I'm sure even most of their fans would agree they're unoriginal but don't care either way.

Anyway I'm not knocking them as loads of people love all three bands but it'd just be a bit grim to see those two playing support for Royal Blood even if they are bigger here.

edit: additionally Jack White has hated Black Keys for years because he thought they ripped him off, and they sound bugger all like The White Stripes. Can't imagine his thoughts on Royal Blood.

But every band has to take inspiration from somewhere no? And to me RB have a v different sound to them, yeah they probs taken influence from QOTSA, but also from FF and other bands.

15 minutes ago, C14S said:

But every band has to take inspiration from somewhere no? And to me RB have a v different sound to them, yeah they probs taken influence from QOTSA, but also from FF and other bands.

Yeah of course. It's the fine line between inspiration and imitation though, and when you're hard pushed to find a review of their stuff that doesn't mention Queens of the Stone Age, Muse (I guess you won't be aware but they get that one a lot too) or the White Stripes - mostly in an unflattering way - then they've probably been found out.

Edited by dentalplan

5 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Huh I never said anything about them being in Europe in June and July?

Yeah I know it's just in case that they do announce shows in June and July , I think we shouldn't rule them out straight away like we have done with most American bands who are over in June and july because they're one of few who would come just for r+l imo.

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Royal blood did one say in an interview that seeing queens of the stone age at reading '07 was the biggest turning point in their lives so they're bound to take some inspiration.

42 minutes ago, callum97 said:

Anyone heard Don Brocos new song 'come out to LA'? It's banging.

Deffo Main Stage slot next year about 4th down I reckon.

It’s the only song they’ve released from this coming album so far that I’m not digging. I think everything else they’ve put out from it has been an absolute banger and the best work they’ve done. Main Stage has to be calling for sure. After playing the NME tent two years in a row a couple of years ago they said they really want to play the Main Stage again now they’re more established compared to when they were given a slot in 2013. 

Fourth down seems spot on but third down wouldn’t shock me too much depending on how the album does. 

15 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

It’s the only song they’ve released from this coming album so far that I’m not digging. I think everything else they’ve put out from it has been an absolute banger and the best work they’ve done. Main Stage has to be calling for sure. After playing the NME tent two years in a row a couple of years ago they said they really want to play the Main Stage again now they’re more established compared to when they were given a slot in 2013. 

Fourth down seems spot on but third down wouldn’t shock me too much depending on how the album does. 

Ahh really? i wasn't too keen on Stay Ignorant myself but i'm totally digging this one and love the music video too. Yeah a main stage slot is definitely calling for them like you say. can't see them blowing up that rapidly though so not sure about the 3rd down spot (although would fully support that.)

1 minute ago, callum97 said:

Ahh really? i wasn't too keen on Stay Ignorant myself but i'm totally digging this one and love the music video too. Yeah a main stage slot is definitely calling for them like you say. can't see them blowing up that rapidly though so not sure about the 3rd down spot (although would fully support that.)

I could easily see them 4th under a co headline.

• Downvote 1

Royal Blood are nothing like QOTSA IMNSHO. I can get the Jack White comparison but for me they sound completely different. If they were above Muse and T-Rex I'd get the disgusting comments but otherwise they deserve to be above QoTSA for sure. They don't kick photographers either :)

9 minutes ago, devilman said:

Royal Blood are nothing like QOTSA IMNSHO. I can get the Jack White comparison but for me they sound completely different. If they were above Muse and T-Rex I'd get the disgusting comments but otherwise they deserve to be above QoTSA for sure. They don't kick photographers either :)

They probably will now that Josh Homme has. B)

• Upvote 5