Lineup 2018

3 minutes ago, R Shah said:

I love it how we're talking about the possibility of a QOTSA/RB co headline and yet royal blood are the support act for them during their North American tour dates. Just shows how quickly royal blood are growing and already getting on par with the legendary rock bands in terms of popularity.

2017 QOTSA secret set was amazing and loads of artists have gone on to play Main Stage year after secret set. Royal Blood are amazing live, and I thin k that they now have enough material to co-headline

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Impossible to say. Patterns end every year.

4 minutes ago, Bacuna Matata said:

Macklemore before Blink182 and after YMAS(2014)

Kendrick before Libertines and after Jamie T(2015)

ASAP Rocky before the Vaccines(great band) and after FFDP (2016)

Giggs before Blossoms(amazing band) and after Architects(2017).

Who remembers the survey FR did regarding RandL. Like who would you want to headline, sub and play the festival altogether. With the constant comments on social media stating announce AM and GIFS related to the band being posted, the survey may affect the lineup potentially. Seems like loads of people stated AM in the survey as well. Do you think they will listen to it and include bands that constantly pop up that they have a chance securing or that was just an opportunity to sell some early tickets? 

4 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Who remembers the survey FR did regarding RandL. Like who would you want to headline, sub and play the festival altogether. With the constant comments on social media stating announce AM and GIFS related to the band being posted, the survey may affect the lineup potentially. Seems like loads of people stated AM in the survey as well. Do you think they will listen to it and include bands that constantly pop up that they have a chance securing or that was just an opportunity to sell some early tickets? 

I wouldn't say its about selling tickets as it's not reserved for ticket buyers. I suppose it allows people to think they're some way involved in influencing the festival - and maybe they are as we don't know how important those surveys are. However I don't think they need a survey to know how popular Arctic Monkeys would be and I'm sure they'd have already made contact about booking them before the survey was posted online.

8 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

idk but I think that by the end of the festival the year before they will have a rough idea of they want to play, whether it reflects the year before more popular choices or what idk

10 hours ago, mylesharrison said:

for the love of god i really hope paramore aren't headlining

But After Laughter is one of the best albums of the year

28 minutes ago, R Shah said:

I love it how we're talking about the possibility of a QOTSA/RB co headline and yet royal blood are the support act for them during their North American tour dates. Just shows how quickly royal blood are growing and already getting on par with the legendary rock bands in terms of popularity.

Though that's North America. I would have guessed that QOTSA are bigger over there and Royal Blood are smaller. Though it is still impressive how far they've come in short a time over here. They made their festival debut in 2014 early on the NME and they're pretty much ready to headline now.

24 minutes ago, Bacuna Matata said:

Yes you could argue there is a pattern but they do come and go. People used to say there had to be a "heavy" day and that headliners had to have at least 5 years before they came back again. I think what you're trying to show there is just a symptom of R&L booking more Hip Hop and Grime acts. Like in 2016 they had BBK and Die Antword and last year they had Eminem headlining and Migos on the main as well. I just think it's a coincidence that a few have fallen on the Sunday at Reading.

13 hours ago, Jayvk said:

I agree 100% that Kendrick would be the best and most exciting headliner, I'm a huge fan. I meant in the sense of rock headliners and how it was a few years back, which many consider the fest's best years. I agree that it'd be too samey, I'd way prefer the current prediction came true of Foos, Kendrick and RB/Paramore but I was just saying an all rock weekend could happen.

That wasn't even my main point of the post haha, I even said I really think there'd be an alternative one like Kendrick hopefully. I can see some of my post is poorly worded and the points are a bit shit lmao just ignore me.

People don't consider those the best years because they booked more rock and less hip-hop/dance, though. If they'd had the like of Kanye West, Jay-Z and Daft Punk headline pre-2011 (which is when most people on here seem to think the festival started to go downhill) they'd probably be looked on even more fondly. The main thing is that new acts seem to be bumped up the lineup with more ease nowadays and we get less established acts throughout the undercard (but a lot of that is due to hindsight anyway and back then the acts weren't any more established than the acts booked these days).

But tbh most people on here who prefer those years are people who've outgrown R&L. The majority of people who go now would probably look at years like 2005 (Foos, Pixies, Maiden) and 2008 (Metallica, RATM, The Killers) and think they look terrible. In a few years when The Hunna and Blossoms are headlining R&L, people who are then in their early 20s will probably look back at years like 2016 and complain that the lineups aren't what they were back then.

Reading these forums you'll get a massively biased view of things because the majority of us don't go to R&L anymore and aren't into the type of new acts that get big slots at R&L now (ie. Catfish). R&L always have and always will do a good job of booking what's popular with people in their late teens and won't give a shit about what people like us (the ones on here who no longer go to R&L) think about it. Booking Green Day over Kendrick would make the festival look better to people over like 25 who aren't gonna go to the festival anyway, so who cares.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Just now, callum97 said:

I think we are gonna get Foos, Paramore and Royal Blood in this next announcement, as Paramore finish their tour early/mid jan. Kendrick being announced in March or someone unexpected.

Nothing stopping them announcing Kendrick now and he'd shift tickets better than Royal Blood/Paramore so I'd imagine they'd rather have him in this announcement than those two (plus it'd give it some variety).

13 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

People don't consider those the best years because they booked more rock and less hip-hop/dance, though. If they'd had the like of Kanye West, Jay-Z and Daft Punk headline pre-2011 (which is when most people on here seem to think the festival started to go downhill) they'd probably be looked on even more fondly. The main thing is that new acts seem to be bumped up the lineup with more ease nowadays and we get less established acts throughout the undercard (but a lot of that is due to hindsight anyway and back then the acts weren't any more established than the acts booked these days).

But tbh most people on here who prefer those years are people who've outgrown R&L. The majority of people who go now would probably look at years like 2005 (Foos, Pixies, Maiden) and 2008 (Metallica, RATM, The Killers) and think they look terrible. In a few years when The Hunna and Blossoms are headlining R&L, people who are then in their early 20s will probably look back at years like 2016 and complain that the lineups aren't what they were back then.

Reading these forums you'll get a massively biased view of things because the majority of us don't go to R&L anymore and aren't into the type of new acts that get big slots at R&L now (ie. Catfish). R&L always have and always will do a good job of booking what's popular with people in their late teens and won't give a shit about what people like us (the ones on here who no longer go to R&L) think about it. Booking Green Day over Kendrick would make the festival look better to people over like 25 who aren't gonna go to the festival anyway, so who cares.

I think you've got it spot on here. 

If Foos/Paramore/Royal Blood/Kendrick are the headliners I dont expect any to be held back, theyll probably just announce them all over a week or so like Download did this year. Paramore arr the only ones with a uk tour that hasnt sold out at this point iirc, and its in late January so they could even wait till after that has finished to announce acts

I know maybe 20 people who went to Wireless this year, and maybe 15 who went to R&L and not a single person went to both, not even for Eminem. Surely if FR can get Kendrick they're gonna get him to play to his audience not a bunch of rock and indie fans? Saying that a few of those I know who went to Wireless are having second thoughts about R&L this year as the likes of Drake, Stormzy and Skepta showed up.

43 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

If Foos/Paramore/Royal Blood/Kendrick are the headliners I dont expect any to be held back, theyll probably just announce them all over a week or so like Download did this year. Paramore arr the only ones with a uk tour that hasnt sold out at this point iirc, and its in late January so they could even wait till after that has finished to announce acts

Yeah unless they're keeping the old format and just had the first announcement delayed for whatever reason I wouldn't be surprised by this. They're the only major festival in the UK that announces them all separately, really. Like you suggest, there's no real reason to hold one of them back a month or so assuming they're all tied up already.

As someone who will probably only go for a Kendrick day I really hope I can just see who's on the undercard that day from the off rather than having a bunch of acts announced and not knowing whether any of them will be on that day.

1 minute ago, Aech said:

I know maybe 20 people who went to Wireless this year, and maybe 15 who went to R&L and not a single person went to both, not even for Eminem. Surely if FR can get Kendrick they're gonna get him to play to his audience not a bunch of rock and indie fans? Saying that a few of those I know who went to Wireless are having second thoughts about R&L this year as the likes of Drake, Stormzy and Skepta showed up.

He's already got 3 arena shows in London and the booker of Primavera festival in Spain has said he isn't in Europe until late Summer, so if that's true there's only really R&L and V they can book him for. Sounds like Eminem will also be around late Summer so having him at V and Kendrick at R&L would make the most sense for FR.

Until we found out about the London shows and the late Summer thing I also thought he was more likely for Wireless.

And anyway I would say a massive proportion of the current R&L crowd would be at least as interested in Kendrick as they would a rock/indie headliner (aside from the likes of Arctic Monkeys and Foos).

4 hours ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Yes you're right , because there was a survey for community festival where literally everyone I know picked two door cinema club or 1975 - And two door cinema club are now headlining that. FR organise community so there could be an impact on the artists at R+L based on the survey . 

27 minutes ago, R Shah said:

Yes you're right , because there was a survey for community festival where literally everyone I know picked two door cinema club or 1975 - And two door cinema club are now headlining that. FR organise community so there could be an impact on the artists at R+L based on the survey . 

I think the Community thing may have actually been people's choices impacting, because it's only a small festival and only going into it's second year. Or could just be a coincidence. R&L on the other hand, is a much bigger festival that has been going for years. I don't know how it works but I would expect they'd already know exactly who they want to headline and some back ups incase they can't get those headliners, way before that survey was published. I maybe be wrong, but that's just how it'd seem to me.

56 minutes ago, R Shah said:

They wouldn't hand out the surveys if they didn't take them into account but I don't think they have a major impact on who plays. Particularly for the headliners as there is only a small pool of acts big enough to headline and that pool becomes even smaller when availability is taken into account. They simply don't have the opportunity to pick and choose in a lot of cases. 

2 hours ago, Jayvk said:

I think the Community thing may have actually been people's choices impacting, because it's only a small festival and only going into it's second year. Or could just be a coincidence. R&L on the other hand, is a much bigger festival that has been going for years. I don't know how it works but I would expect they'd already know exactly who they want to headline and some back ups incase they can't get those headliners, way before that survey was published. I maybe be wrong, but that's just how it'd seem to me.

Yeah you're right, tbh they're mainly for the smaller acts - in terms of headliners reading are probably already thinking about 2019.  The survey will have no impact on them at all.

10 minutes ago, Jayvk said:

Who could headline the Dance Tent? I've had Hannah Wants, Zed's Dead and MK down but I've just been thinking could Martin Solveig or Disciples do it?

Really not my strong point at all and I seem to be the only person predicting him, but is Steve Aoki a possibility? I have Hannah Wants, Steve Aoki and Gorgon City as dance headliners in my prediction.