Lineup 2018

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone on the forum and hope you have a great new year. 

Today I went back to thinking of the headliners and what not and thought how there is always a red herring when they are announced like Muse was last year.

So after a little digging I figured that Green Day who are thought about but not strong could make an appearance or secret set at least. The best hits album links to potential shows though I do believe this album is just recouping whats been done. However Muse didn't have much going on last year and got a slot despite people thinking at the time it was going to be this year. I think its time soon to have them back and really think its an outsider that has a strong chance because were not going to get every act correct. 

I then thought about the Download headliners from this year and of course Biffy Clyro have performed twice in quick obsession than usual. Aerosmith are too old and wouldn't appeal. But System of a Down. We were told that an album was imminent, then pushed back, then in the dark. I feel a red herring could be them. I think they could and would do solo but also an option for a co-headline. If they released a single or new music they could do a Muse and take a slot and personally would love them at the festival though its very unlikely. Anthems like the popular Chop Suey, would be known by many of the audience and don't feel this booking is too out of the question. Plus its five years if I am not mistaken since there last appearance and could definitely put on a great show.

Also theres the chance RandL have paid for a reunion of some sort as a chance to headline for example Blink-182 but the question is would the lead join back up? Stone Roses are out of the question. But that mystery reunion act could also be available. Rage against the Machine would be magical but there is more chance FR give tickets out for free. My Chemical Romance has been talked about but also I do not think they are getting back together.

Also though a tour is most likely The 1975 could headline as an act with FR trying to get younger acts in. People thought various acts are coming in the years to come but they could be premature and have them in 2018 which wouldn't be for me but could see in happening. There album is due next year and could see it as a possibility.

I also wanted to see what you all think about that BBC multi-festival which was announced. Though the pop demographic would dominate, could our expected acts perform at that?

Who do you think could be a red herring and defy our expectations. As I said I hope you have a fantastic new year, just a little to think about.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

44 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone on the forum and hope you have a great new year. 

Today I went back to thinking of the headliners and what not and thought how there is always a red herring when they are announced like Muse was last year.

So after a little digging I figured that Green Day who are thought about but not strong could make an appearance or secret set at least. The best hits album links to potential shows though I do believe this album is just recouping whats been done. However Muse didn't have much going on last year and got a slot despite people thinking at the time it was going to be this year. I think its time soon to have them back and really think its an outsider that has a strong chance because were not going to get every act correct. 

I then thought about the Download headliners from this year and of course Biffy Clyro have performed twice in quick obsession than usual. Aerosmith are too old and wouldn't appeal. But System of a Down. We were told that an album was imminent, then pushed back, then in the dark. I feel a red herring could be them. I think they could and would do solo but also an option for a co-headline. If they released a single or new music they could do a Muse and take a slot and personally would love them at the festival though its very unlikely. Anthems like the popular Chop Suey, would be known by many of the audience and don't feel this booking is too out of the question. Plus its five years if I am not mistaken since there last appearance and could definitely put on a great show.

Also theres the chance RandL have paid for a reunion of some sort as a chance to headline for example Blink-182 but the question is would the lead join back up? Stone Roses are out of the question. But that mystery reunion act could also be available. Rage against the Machine would be magical but there is more chance FR give tickets out for free. My Chemical Romance has been talked about but also I do not think they are getting back together.

Also though a tour is most likely The 1975 could headline as an act with FR trying to get younger acts in. People thought various acts are coming in the years to come but they could be premature and have them in 2018 which wouldn't be for me but could see in happening. There album is due next year and could see it as a possibility.

I also wanted to see what you all think about that BBC multi-festival which was announced. Though the pop demographic would dominate, could our expected acts perform at that?

Who do you think could be a red herring and defy our expectations. As I said I hope you have a fantastic new year, just a little to think about.

A red herring is a piece of info that's misleading. I think you might mean a dark horse?

Anyway, I don't see SOAD headlining with no new stuff since they subbed. I think their reunion is completely wrung of all demand now. Blink-182 reunited wouldn't be that big a deal either - I think many casual fans don't even realise Delonge isn't in the band anymore. The only potential reunion that looks forthcoming is the original line up of Smashing Pumpkins but I don't think they're about to headline R+L again.

The 1975 aren't doing any shows until October, this has been reiterated throughout the year so it looks unlikely to have changed so 2019 headliners seems more likely. 

The BBC multi-festival thing isn't really likely to affect the festival any more than it already does. It just seems that they're putting on a number of festivals on the typical R1BW weekend, and R1BW is the one that crosses over with R+L the most anyway.

I agree Green Day are an outside chance, it all depends on whether they announce shows for next year and we can't be far off the announcement of those if they happen. It strikes me as similar to the Muse booking from this year as well - potential for a European exclusive. I can't really think of many more that would be unexpected, but that is also sort of the point so I reckon we just have to ride it out.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

A red herring is a piece of info that's misleading. I think you might mean a dark horse?

Anyway, I don't see SOAD headlining with no new stuff since they subbed. I think their reunion is completely wrung of all demand now. Blink-182 reunited wouldn't be that big a deal either - I think many casual fans don't even realise Delonge isn't in the band anymore. The only potential reunion that looks forthcoming is the original line up of Smashing Pumpkins but I don't think they're about to headline R+L again.

The 1975 aren't doing any shows until October, this has been reiterated throughout the year so it looks unlikely to have changed so 2019 headliners seems more likely. 

The BBC multi-festival thing isn't really likely to affect the festival any more than it already does. It just seems that they're putting on a number of festivals on the typical R1BW weekend, and R1BW is the one that crosses over with R+L the most anyway.

I agree Green Day are an outside chance, it all depends on whether they announce shows for next year and we can't be far off the announcement of those if they happen. It strikes me as similar to the Muse booking from this year as well - potential for a European exclusive. I can't really think of many more that would be unexpected, but that is also sort of the point so I reckon we just have to ride it out.

QOTSA coming out of nowhere;)

46 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Merry Christmas and Happy new year to you too!

i seriously agree about the Green Day possibility and I am waiting for the US Governers ball lineup to come out as green Day have been rumoured from the clue, if green day do play there then I think it will make them extremely likely for reading as the red herring as it proved they’re willing to play festivals 

In terms of a paid reunion I agree that blink 182 would be the most likely if that were to happen with MCR in 2019 however I personally don’t think we’ll be seeing a reunion this year.

Overall I think the ‘muse’ of this year, could be Green Day, Florence and the machine, although not too much of a surprise, maybe a BBK co-headline? And possibly the 1975 for a secret set

About the BBC biggest weekend it’s interesting that we haven’t heard any more (as far as i’ve heard) since the announcement of the Festival, as its 3 sites i’m assuming that it will be one around the north, midlands and south, or Scotland, England and Wales. I reckon it probably won’t be a camping festival and as we know, should be similar to glasto in the lineup with more pop most likely.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jack w said:

maybe a BBK co-headline?

This absolutely seems like something they might do. I can't imagine it'd happen the same year as Kendrick headlines but if he's ruled out for whatever reason.

6 minutes ago, C14S said:

QOTSA coming out of nowhere;)

Oh yeah I guess so. Although that would be because of a 'red herring' in that the guy saying about UK outdoor shows. Though when you think about it, the guy said that they're doing their own outdoor shows next year and that's been proven true, but he doesn't say that's all they're doing - and Iggy Pop is the only act there with a 'UK exclusive' tag. Don't think it'll happen because it's a FR event and it hasn't sold out yet so might not be the wisest of moves to spread them across three gigs.

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Oh yeah I guess so. Although that would be because of a 'red herring' in that the guy saying about UK outdoor shows. Though when you think about it, the guy said that they're doing their own outdoor shows next year and that's been proven true, but he doesn't say that's all they're doing - and Iggy Pop is the only act there with a 'UK exclusive' tag. Don't think it'll happen because it's a FR event and it hasn't sold out yet so might not be the wisest of moves to spread them across three gigs.

A boy can dream. Would they have to headline outright? Co w/ RB?

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

38 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

If Green Day did headline who do you reckon they would replace as the forums current prediction of Foo Fighters, Kendrick and RB/Paramore co-headline?

A Foo Fighters/Green Day/RB/Paramore weekend could almost be seen as a return to former glories for R&L going back to a whole weekend of rock. It'd definitely be a good lineup but I really think there'll be an 'alternative' headliner (Like Eminem, Disclosure, Mumford & Sons have been recently).  I think if we do get an alternative, I can't see it being anyone else besides Kendrick, BBK Co-head or Florence tbh. The tiny chance of The Prodigy maybe. Anyone think of others?

Edited by Jayvk

9 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Mumford & Sons and Florence and the Machine as alternatives to rock music? Qué?

Nah I didn't mean as like a complete alternative to rock music I just meant, for example,on the year Mumford played they're obviously a bit different to Metallica, and definitely appeal to different people. I also assume that if Florence was to play then they'd be seen as the 'alternative' act to Green Day or Foos because she isn't as full on rock or heavy as those two can be. I probably phrased it wrong in my post but can you see what I'm saying?

Edited by Jayvk

1 minute ago, Jayvk said:

Nah I didn't mean as like a complete alternative I just meant on the year Mumford played, they're obviously a bit different to Metallica, and definitely appeal to different people. I also assume that if Florence was to play then they'd be seen as the 'alternative' act to Green Day or Foos because she isn't as full on rock or heavy as those two can be. I probably phrased it wrong in my post but can you see what I'm saying?

Well it just seems that vague that it's not really a consideration they'd have. Like I could obviously imagine them going "hip hop is in, let's prioritise trying to have another hip hop headliner" or same with grime but I don't see the point in the other thing.

2 hours ago, C14S said:

I don't think they'd think themselves above coheadlining but it just depends on who else they could get I guess.

3 hours ago, Jayvk said:

A Foo Fighters/Green Day/RB/Paramore weekend could almost be seen as a return to former glories for R&L going back to a whole weekend of rock. It'd definitely be a good lineup but I really think there'll be an 'alternative' headliner (Like Eminem, Disclosure, Mumford & Sons have been recently).  I think if we do get an alternative, I can't see it being anyone else besides Kendrick, BBK Co-head or Florence tbh. The tiny chance of The Prodigy maybe. Anyone think of others?

Taking the most predicted foursome (Royal Blood/Paramore, Foos, Kendrick) and replacing the best and only exciting headliner there with a lame band who haven't been relevant in over a decade would make it a return to former glories?

Think it'd be too samey, anyway. Those acts all appeal to a pretty similar crowd (even though Royal Blood and Foos kinda transcend that into the mainstream).

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Just now, Gucci Piggy said:

Taking the most predicted foursome (Royal Blood/Paramore, Foos, Kendrick) and replacing the best and only exciting headliner there with a lame band who haven't been relevant in over a decade would make it a return to former glories?

Think it'd be too samey, anyway. Those acts all appeal to a pretty similar crowd (even though Royal Blood and Foos kinda transcend that into the mainstream).

I agree 100% that Kendrick would be the best and most exciting headliner, I'm a huge fan. I meant in the sense of rock headliners and how it was a few years back, which many consider the fest's best years. I agree that it'd be too samey, I'd way prefer the current prediction came true of Foos, Kendrick and RB/Paramore but I was just saying an all rock weekend could happen.

That wasn't even my main point of the post haha, I even said I really think there'd be an alternative one like Kendrick hopefully. I can see some of my post is poorly worded and the points are a bit shit lmao just ignore me.

16 hours ago, C14S said:

I love it how we're talking about the possibility of a QOTSA/RB co headline and yet royal blood are the support act for them during their North American tour dates. Just shows how quickly royal blood are growing and already getting on par with the legendary rock bands in terms of popularity.