Lineup 2018

22 minutes ago, Boba73 said:

Where's all the co-headline talk coming from?  The last band on are the headliners.

Even then, it’s not always the same band on last at each site.

14 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Still not aware of these developments suggested but could see them there I guess but would be a bit out of left field. Wouldn't be ecstatic about the booking but as long as they have a good under card I'd feel a lot better about it.

Last time people weren’t thrilled about them headlining but they went down as one of the all time best R+L headline sets. I think it’s what they need.

The only development really is that it’s been confirmed they’re coming back to Europe and with their tour so late and having done June-mid July last year, late festivals look the most likely.

5 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I've recently heard a whisper that AMs aren't doing R/L next year - tho I can't guarantee it's correct. 

But if that info is correct my suspicion is its because they'll be doing Tramlines.

I have heard that they were planning on moving Tramlines to Hillsborough stadium. So as bizarre as it sounds, I fully believe this.

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Last time people weren’t thrilled about them headlining but they went down as one of the all time best R+L headline sets. I think it’s what they need.

The only development really is that it’s been confirmed they’re coming back to Europe and with their tour so late and having done June-mid July last year, late festivals look the most likely.

That'll be 8 years ago by the time next years festival rolls around, do you think they'll be received as well as they were last time? With a huge booking of foos looking nailed on I don't think it'd be the worst booking but they'd definitely need a good undercard for that day as I feel they'd be a bit hit and miss with R+L's audience.

Just now, MIchael_scarn said:

That'll be 8 years ago by the time next years festival rolls around, do you think they'll be received as well as they were last time? With a huge booking of foos looking nailed on I don't think it'd be the worst booking but they'd definitely need a good undercard for that day as I feel they'd be a bit hit and miss with R+L's audience.

They’re still a formidable live act so could convert folk just as well, however they’re better known now so maybe they won’t have as many people to convert? Idk I think they’d go down well with those in attendance and there’s loads on other stages that’d offer variety.

So at this point, is this a fair summary?

• Foos seemingly nailed on
  • AM a possibility, but looking like they might be doing Tramlines instead
  • Kendrick potentially around Europe at the end of summer, but nothing more solid than that
  • Royal Blood would probably at least coheadline if R&L are willing to give them the push. If they do coheadline, it'll probably be with Paramore or another act that hasn't been suggested much (QOTSA looking unlikely now)
  • Arcade Fire a new suggestion, potentially around Europe at the end of Summer as well
  • Florence is a smaller possibility, potentially coheadline with Royal Blood, but I think the chances she plays in 2018 are slim
  • Then finally The Killers, who also look very unlikely at this point as they're in Europe early summer

Anyone I've missed off? At this point I'm still leaning towards Royal Blood/Paramore, Foos, Kendrick.

Potentially replace Kendrick with Arcade Fire, and change Paramore to someone else or let Royal Blood headline outright with a decent undercard.

47 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

If it does under being something along the lines of Foo Fighters - Arcade Fire - Royal Blood I imagine you're looking at a 2013-ish NME stage which was closed by three dance acts 

Try 2015. Calling Phoenix and alt-J dance acts is a stretch. :P

That headline trio would be similar to 2012 headliners last time they didn’t have a Glasto.

Edited by dentalplan

What non rock acts are even about that could headline the NME next year? Off the top of my head it could be:

Alt-pop (Lorde could do it, and maybe Banks? tho both havent been booked before)

A rapper (dunno enough about whos good rn, maybe Travis Scott or somethin?)

A dnb act (they're only gonna have 1 the whole weekend, but Sigma, Chase & Status or Pendulum could do it)

Annie Mac?

Madeon? (not sure hes big enough tho)

RL Grime

Martin Garrix

deadmau5? (He isnt supposed to have anything new out but I guess he could do it?)

I guess someone like Tiesto might go down well? Or maybe Zedd (though hes kinda too poppy like Chainsmokers now)

6 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

What non rock acts are even about that could headline the NME next year? Off the top of my head it could be:

Alt-pop (Lorde could do it, and maybe Banks? tho both havent been booked before)

A dnb act (they're only gonna have 1 the whole weekend, but Sigma, Chase & Status or Pendulum could do it)

Annie Mac?

RL Grime

Martin Garrix

deadmau5? (He isnt supposed to have anything new out but I guess he could do it?)

I guess someone like Tiesto might go down well? Or maybe Zedd (though hes kinda too poppy like Chainsmokers now)

Jungle and Clean Bandit are also options. I've currently got Jungle, Chase & Status and Pixies to do it.

7 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Annie Mac?

RL Grime

Martin Garrix

J Hus, Chainsmokers, Chase & Status off top of my bonce.

48 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

Justice again? Suppose that might be a bit too 2012. Bonobo? Mura Masa? Not sure on the size of either. 

Bonobo is too brown trousers to be a R+L dance act and Mura Masa Muse would be a good shout if he hadn’t done two years in a row on NME - he’ll probs get good slots everywhere else next year and be back following that.

20 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Bonobo is too brown trousers to be a R+L dance act and Mura Masa Muse would be a good shout if he hadn’t done two years in a row on NME - he’ll probs get good slots everywhere else next year and be back following that.

You reckon? He's way popular with all my mates that are into Flume, Major Lazer and a bunch of the dirge that populates the dance stage every year. But I realise that's a not a great measure to go by. 

I should probably actually look at the lineups for the last couple of years if I'm gonna start chatting about this one though :P 

1 hour ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Jungle and Clean Bandit are also options. I've currently got Jungle, Chase & Status and Pixies to do it.

I would have considered Jungle like indie rock lol, but I guess if we are including them then Metronomy probs fir in that category too.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

J Hus, Chainsmokers, Chase & Status off top of my bonce.

Chainsmokers are surely too big now no? Plus imo they've probs gone too poppy off that last album to be R+L appropriate anymore. Would be a better booking for Creamfields and the new V fest.

1 hour ago, the wonderwhy said:

Justice again? Suppose that might be a bit too 2012. Bonobo? Mura Masa? Not sure on the size of either. 

Can't see Justice or Bonobo doing it this year considering they were in the area last year and didnt get booked. Mura Masa imo isn't big enough, his last album didnt really impress many people, so I dont really think he'd get a much bigger position next year (if he plays at all as he has played a lot recently and shouldnt have anything new out by then)

36 minutes ago, coincidental plan said:

I'm going for DJ EZ and Jamie xx.

I doubt Jamie will be back doing solo stuff yet, he's still touring with the band iirc and i doubt he'll do most fests again till hes had new stuff come out. Is DJEZ really that big? I was kinda surprised when he headlined the dance tent in 2016 (tho I have no idea how big of a crowd he got)

35 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I’m going for Marshmello doing a closing set one night on the NME. 

The Vaccines, Enter Shikari & Friendly Fires, with Marshmello going on after one of The Vaccines or Friendly Fires. 

Would they book Marshmello 2 years in a row in such prominent slots?

1 minute ago, the wonderwhy said:

You reckon? He's way popular with all my mates that are into Flume, Major Lazer and a bunch of the dirge that populates the dance stage every year. But I realise that's a not a great measure to go by. 

I should probably actually look at the lineups for the last couple of years if I'm gonna start chatting about this one though :P 

Have you listened to his music? :P I'd be suprised if there was any correlation between people who like Major Lazer and Bonobo. I'd expect him to be a more popular booking with people who are fans of Jungle and Jamie XX...

51 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Have you listened to his music? :P I'd be suprised if there was any correlation between people who like Major Lazer and Bonobo. I'd expect him to be a more popular booking with people who are fans of Jungle and Jamie XX...

Yup, its coming from a similar place just one goes for a stripped-down, downtempo sound, the other gets a bunch of vocalists and puts on a party. They don't sound particularly similar but the style means there would be a crossover. You're right he's more likely to grab fans of Jamie XX though. Do Jungle fans even exist anymore?