8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Gorillaz at a UK fest next year then?

I guess 30stm returning to sub could really happen

Avenged must be nailed for download now then

can see Gorillaz doing BST/IOW or something 

yeah 30stm will probs be a sub at reading next year

Avenged are very likely for download now surely 

23 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

That puts 30STM in the mix for Download rather than R&L now, surely?

Are they really gonna come to Europe in March, June and August?

yeah to be fair i can't see them coming to europe 3 times in one year. I'm actually starting to think download have bagged foos and 30stm to sub them 

7 hours ago, Muppetmark said:

30stm are huge in germany, they headlined in 2013 

I guess RaR/RiP struggles with headliners tbh (FF played 2 yrs ago, 30stm are rather weak and gorillaz are a gamble). 30stm got pitiful reception in 2013. No one really cared, the smallest crowd I have ever seen for a headliner. Imagine 30stm headlining Download...

Edited by Ferda

11 minutes ago, Ferda said:

I guess RaR/RiP struggles with headliners tbh (FF played 2 yrs ago, 30stm are rather weak and gorillaz are a gamble). 30stm got pitiful reception in 2013. No one really cared, the smallest crowd I have ever seen for a headliner. Imagine 30stm headlining Download...

Metallica have cancelled their European tour next Summer so they could have been supposed to headline over 30STM.

11 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Metallica have cancelled their European tour next Summer so they could have been supposed to headline over 30STM.

Could have been the case. They announced the lineup 2 wks later than usually

Edited by Ferda

On 30/10/2017 at 9:00 PM, Ferda said:

You're forgetting that some bands are of different size on the continent and vice versa, not everything over here is big over there, and a lot of stuff over there is much much bigger than over here (a good example of this is Volbeat, who are huge on the continent, easily headlining the likes of RAR, yet will be lucky to get 2nd stage headliner/3rd down main at Download).

I don't know much about alt music, i'm pretty heavy hip hop/rap fan (i fell asleep and missed the whole eminem set this year, super gutted!).

The hip hop side of the festival definitly drew the biggest crowds i felt, and everybody i spoke with about who they want to see talked about J Hus, Eminem, Giggs etc so i think R&L will definitely take a twist towards that way soon but still keeping the focus on alt music.

Just Looking at the 2017 headliners i think they will go the same route:

Headline: Royal Blood - Kendrick - Foo Fighters

Sub: Post Malone - Avicii - Wolf Alice

3rd: Stormzy - Vampire Weekend - Nothing but Thieves

Warm Ups - French Montana, Marmozets, J Hus, Marshmello, Everything Everything, Krept & Konan, Anne Marie, The XX, Annie Mac, Haim

30 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Headline: Royal Blood - Kendrick - Foo Fighters

Sub: Post Malone - Avicii - Wolf Alice

3rd: Stormzy - Vampire Weekend - Nothing but Thieves

Warm Ups - French Montana, Marmozets, J Hus, Marshmello, Everything Everything, Krept & Konan, Anne Marie, The XX, Annie Mac, Haim

Post malone ain't really big enough to sub off one album and can't really see him higher than NME headliner to be honest, they tend to go for more established acts e.g. Liam Gallagher, Bastille (2 no. 1 albums), imagine dragons (huge at one point), Alt G to name a few, as much as i like post he's just not of that calibre yet. Swear Avicii stopped touring years ago unless he made an announcement to come back?? Stormzy could potentially sub and would easily be regarded as a bigger sub than post. Rest seems plausible though. 

At the moment I think the festival has the right balance of genres to keep it relevant to its current audience, but it'd be quite disappointing if hip-hop and grime for example start to take over the festival massively which i can't really see happening. Wireless and V will always be regarded as the perfect festivals for those kinds of acts and R+L should just stick to what they're doing currently and get ARCTIC MONKEYS and FOOS to headline 2018... please.

Edited by MIchael_scarn

37 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

FR own Wireless which apparently has been struggling

Don't think so. Sold out this year.

It's had its ups and downs, and probably tried to do too much before the genre/fashion was ready for it, and perhaps had a few off-target line-ups too (tho i wouldn't know).

Now that the genre/fashion is established and as big as anything else I'd say it's as solid as it can be. The most worrying thing over its future - in it's current location, anyway - is the local Finsbury opposition to any events in the Park, but with Wireless as the most objectionable (because of a bit of trouble a few years ago).

2 minutes ago, Jack w said:

creeper didn't play this year and r&l only promote the bands that have played in the festival just gone or the ones that will play once the announcements come out? surely they must be on for next year as they're very relevant rn too? correct me if I'm wrong

fullsizeoutput_f8e.jpeg

For me, that'd seem like they're a definite now with how relevant they are and not playing this year.

• Like 1