Lineup 2018

26 minutes ago, KingPin said:

The headliners are fine, its the weak as piss undercard that they need to fix and stop fucking about with. Also leeds was down on 2016 this year (can't speak about Reading, wasn't there).

Reading sold out still but nowhere near as early as 2016.

Undercard was definitely the issue this year. I am still reeling over the fact Blossoms was 3rd down.

11 hours ago, Paulmcm1998 said:

Does anyone think Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds might headline with the success of Liam Gallagher this year and a new album on the way? I don't rate them massively and think there is better options there but I wouldn't be surprised to see them headline.

The fact he wasn't booked to play when touring his previous two albums would suggest probably not. Especially if the new album is as different as he claims it is.

28 minutes ago, DMCJ2 said:

The fact he wasn't booked to play when touring his previous two albums would suggest probably not. Especially if the new album is as different as he claims it is.

That last tour started off with reasonably big bookings (T in the Park headline) but quickly went down the scale as he shopped round a lot of small to medium festivals, ending up with stuff like the Lytham St Anne's summer "festival", so it would be embarrassing for R&L to book him as a headliner now - still wouldn't put it past R&L to book him in a lower slot though, if he'd do it.

T got rid of rock. T is gone. V got rid of rock, V is going. R/L needs to be careful about its future direction. Also, 17 was way busier than 15 at Leeds. Felt busier than 13 too but that might have been down to the weather stopping people from wandering around as much. I've never waited as long for a beer at the bar as on Sunday this year.

On 23/05/2016 at 5:23 PM, dylangraham said:

I've been thinking about this all day and couldn't resist making the thread.

Foo Fighters
Arctic Monkeys
Kendrick Lamar

Also possible - Green Day or Florence & the Machine

The rumours haven't seemed to changed much since this was created back in May 2016! 

While I would love it to be the Foos I think Arctic Monkeys is more the target market for selling tickets if had to be a choice of the two.

I agree that the headliners are working well for Reading/Leeds at the moment but the undercard truly sucks! 

Im 28 and would love to go back and do a full weekend at reading again but the undercard is so full of crap I just can't justify paying £200+ for a ticket anymore. 

I could count on one hand the bands on the undercard that I would have seen at this years festival. There is just too much dance/grime etc. There are already 2 stages dedicated to this type of music I don't understand why they have to be all over the other stages too! Perhaps they need a scuzz/kerrang stage to even it out a bit. 

Don’t think the headliners worked that well this year. Eminem of course is a sales success every time but I think they fucked it with the other two and that hampered sales more than Blossoms being a couple of slots too high.

edit: not saying they need to book Rammstein tho :lol:

Edited by dentalplan

Just now, dentalplan said:

Don’t think the headliners worked that well this year. Eminem of course is a sales success every time but I think they fucked it with the other two and that hampered sales more than Blossoms being a couple of slots too high.

They were along the right lines, though, even if Kasabian/Muse are no longer the biggest things around. They certainly don't need to reflect on this year's minor blip and decide the solution is to dramatically change tack and start booking headliners whose primary appeal is to bald middle-aged men craving a 90s nostalgia hit.

As much as I love them, MUSE really shouldn't have headlined till they had a new album out. Like sure they are big but it was the 4th year of them touring on Drones....

Kasabian I guess was OK, but personally they always seem like such a meh band, like sure I guess they are big but I would say they're not that much bigger than Paramore, Florence etc. and nowhere near as trendy as Royal Blood, 1975 etc. and they also don't really get the nostalgia side of things like stuff like the Chillis, Foos etc. They're just kind of there...

24 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

They were along the right lines, though, even if Kasabian/Muse are no longer the biggest things around. They certainly don't need to reflect on this year's minor blip and decide the solution is to dramatically change tack and start booking headliners whose primary appeal is to bald middle-aged men craving a 90s nostalgia hit.

Probably depends between acts. I think Blur, for instance, would fare better as they’re a rarity and also people don’t just want to see acts of their generation. Noel however is as played out as Muse and Kasabian and would be a terrible headline choice.

I personally would like a few more nostalgia-based bookings like Madness and think that a lot of them would go down pretty well, even if it is just because they have one or two huge hits, but then again it could end up similar to how Jimmy Eat World went down this year with the crowd which was disappointing to say the least, unfortunately. Surely it'd at least help try and make a stronger undercard than some of the recent ones, especially last year's.

3 hours ago, MONTHEBIFF2013 said:

I agree that the headliners are working well for Reading/Leeds at the moment but the undercard truly sucks! 

Im 28 and would love to go back and do a full weekend at reading again but the undercard is so full of crap I just can't justify paying £200+ for a ticket anymore. 

I could count on one hand the bands on the undercard that I would have seen at this years festival. There is just too much dance/grime etc. There are already 2 stages dedicated to this type of music I don't understand why they have to be all over the other stages too! Perhaps they need a scuzz/kerrang stage to even it out a bit. 

It hasn't been worth the weekend money since about 2012....and then it was questionable. The day ticket prices now make it better but the travel for the day to Leeds or Reading sites to not be able to have more than one cider/two if it's early enough int he day....I'm not really one for having more than one though regardless if I have to drive.

22 hours ago, devilman said:

T got rid of rock. T is gone. V got rid of rock, V is going. R/L needs to be careful about its future direction. Also, 17 was way busier than 15 at Leeds. Felt busier than 13 too but that might have been down to the weather stopping people from wandering around as much. I've never waited as long for a beer at the bar as on Sunday this year.

Nah Leeds in 12 and 13 were a fair bit busier than this year, 15 was dead agreed. The Muse and Kasabian days felt quieter than the Paramore/QOTSA and Blink days of 2014 as well to me, but memory from that festival is sketchy at best.

It sounds ambitious ik, but after hearing that they're are planning something big next year I reckon it will be:

Foos, arctic monkeys and Drake

Foos could fit it in nicely with a UK tour for their new album 

And obviously the rumours of Arctic Monkeys and a sixth album if it is true they have to headline 

I'm not a fan of Drake or any rap but seeing as reading is slowly heading that way and his appearance on Giggs set it would make sense to have him

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, KingPin said:

Nah Leeds in 12 and 13 were a fair bit busier than this year, 15 was dead agreed. The Muse and Kasabian days felt quieter than the Paramore/QOTSA and Blink days of 2014 as well to me, but memory from that festival is sketchy at best.

In my opinion, at Reading this year, I would say this year was the busiest I have seen it since 2014, the campsite was packed constantly throughout the day while the arena was far busier especially on Eminem day.

2 hours ago, Alfie2001 said:

It sounds ambitious ik, but after hearing that they're are planning something big next year I reckon it will be:

Foos, arctic monkeys and Drake

Foos could fit it in nicely with a UK tour for their new album 

And obviously the rumours of Arctic Monkeys and a sixth album if it is true they have to headline 

I'm not a fan of Drake or any rap but seeing as reading is slowly heading that way and his appearance on Giggs set it would make sense to have him

Foo Fighters & Arctic Monkeys would be a dream and kind of fits in with the trend of having a "hard rock", "alternate rock" and "other" headliner. It would be a huge expense to get these 3 however with it being a fallow year they can try snap up glasto goers. 

I am not a fan of Drake but would be nice to see a final act that is not on the main stage as they are always meant to be wild! especially the pit.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, pwe24 said:

I am not a fan of Drake but would be nice to see a final act that is not on the main stage as they are always meant to be wild! especially the pit.

Totally with you on that. I'm a fan of most genres, especially hip hop, and as much as I'd love to see Kendrick or Kanye headline, I would like Drake to headline as I absolutely hate him, his music, him as a person and everything about him, it would be nice to see the 1Xtra or NME or Pit headliner without at all worrying about what I was missing. This festival just gone, I picked Danny Brown and You Me At Six over Kasabian and Marshmello over most of Muse's set and definitely don't regret it.

Edited by Jayvk