Lineup 2018

Sure Rudimental are bigger than Chase & Status now 

You probably go to a 17 yr old and say let's go watch Pendulum and they go who? Then you probably have to explain to them that they formed knife party and even then they'll look at you like your stupid. 

Prodigy, fair enough. Only a sub these days and think if they do festivals again they'll head more towards Boardmasters type festival. 

I say this every year but imagine the Prodigy! We need that! I was thinking that a nostalgia act like Franz Ferdinand or The Kooks on a mid slot on the main stage would be a cool idea, the crowd would love that. Also think the Happy Mondays on the FR would be brilliant, although I don't see it. Anyone know how I can knock one of those mock posters up? I'd like to have a go because I've got a pretty realistic prediction I think.

29 minutes ago, thelemon said:

Maybe. Em is a bit more of a rock/alternative act than Drake, popular with the old Reading style of emo/scene kids, plus a nostalgia act. Look at it this way, I go into an indie club tonight, Eminem is likely to be played, Drake isn't. Major Lazer and Chainsmokers much more comparable, but the headliner is a bigger influence on the type of crowd.

Eminem hasn't been close to an alternative act in a very, very long time. The vast majority of he audience won't have any idea about how popular he was in the late 90s/early 00s with the rock crowd because they weren't born. He might be popular with people who used to go to Reading but those people largely aren't going anymore. Drake would be immensely popular with today's R&L punters. 

@thelemon Your not being sexist mate, neithers the festival. What you just did is point out the problem, women are unfairly represented in rock music, a problem which doesn't need to exist, and one that festival promoters should actively try to stop by booking more bands with females in. 

Edited by Steve1000

It's very obvious the promoters aren't sexist, didn't Melvin recently launch some kind of initiative to get more women in music or something? I don't really think it's an issue of underrepresentation either, it's just I don't think women are as drawn to rock music.

12 minutes ago, thelemon said:

I say this every year but imagine the Prodigy! We need that! I was thinking that a nostalgia act like Franz Ferdinand or The Kooks on a mid slot on the main stage would be a cool idea, the crowd would love that. Also think the Happy Mondays on the FR would be brilliant, although I don't see it. Anyone know how I can knock one of those mock posters up? I'd like to have a go because I've got a pretty realistic prediction I think.

I'd be happy with Franz Ferdinand, think they would be around 5th down now. Their debut album was the first album I bought with my own money when I had a paper round 13 years ago so always holds a little bit of nostalgia. 

Will Smith and Jazzy Jeff just headlined livewire festival in Blackpool. Think a secret set in the tent would go down a storm. 40 thousand people singing to Fresh Prince. Doesn't matter how old you are you'll know all the words. 

9 minutes ago, thelemon said:

It's very obvious the promoters aren't sexist, didn't Melvin recently launch some kind of initiative to get more women in music or something? I don't really think it's an issue of underrepresentation either, it's just I don't think women are as drawn to rock music.

Yeah, as I said the promoters aren't sexist. Lazy maybe. Saying women aren't drawn to rock is not true though, and one thing for sure is that the percentage of female rock fans ain't anywhere near the percentage of female rock band members, but these female rock fans have hardly any role models so won't get into rock music, and those that do will struggle to break as it isn't normalised

Try going to a Catfish concert and tell me women aren't drawn to rock

Edited by Steve1000

16 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Yeah, as I said the promoters aren't sexist. Lazy maybe. Saying women aren't drawn to rock is not true though, and one thing for sure is that the percentage of female rock fans ain't anywhere near the percentage of female rock band members, but these female rock fans have hardly any role models so won't get into rock music, and those that do will struggle to break as it isn't normalised

Try going to a Catfish concert and tell me women aren't drawn to rock

You know, I knew straight away I worded that wrong, but wasn't sure how to reword it to make my point clearer. I didn't mean as listeners, the gigs I go to are always around 50/50 I'd say, and yeah Catfish have a massive female following I've seen them a few times. I meant that women don't tend to start playing rock music as much,and you're probably right about not having so many role models but I don't see how that even changes tbh.

1 minute ago, thelemon said:

You know, I knew straight away I worded that wrong, but wasn't sure how to reword it to make my point clearer. I didn't mean as listeners, the gigs I go to are always around 50/50 I'd say, and yeah Catfish have a massive female following I've seen them a few times. I meant that women don't tend to start playing rock music as much,and you're probably right about not having so many role models but I don't see how that even changes tbh.

Very easily. By festivals/ radio stations/ music publications etc raising awareness of female rock bands

with Arctic Monkeys now releasing an album at the end of this year i'd be surprised if they waited till Glastonbury 2019, I think Reading probably have them in the bag for 2018.

Foo Fighters doing download sounds still a bit loose, I can't see them choosing Download over reading.

Paramore (or Royal Blood), Foo Fighters, Arctic Monkeys sounds like a decent bet for 2018 - I can see Reading having a strong year

Surely they can't just push bands with females in either, like they have to be liked and followed or you're just putting female fronted bands on a lineup to meet a quota. If there are good female fronted bands touring put them on but if their isn't the festival can't do too much about that imo.

Royal Blood / Boy Better Know / Wolf Alice / Don Broco / Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes 

Desiigner

Drake / The Chainsmokers / Panic! at the Disco / The Kooks / Nothing But Thieves 

Vampire Weekend 

Arctic Monkeys / Catfish and the Bottlemen / Stormzy / The Wombats / The Amazons

Brand New

14 minutes ago, foolee said:

Surely they can't just push bands with females in either, like they have to be liked and followed or you're just putting female fronted bands on a lineup to meet a quota. If there are good female fronted bands touring put them on but if their isn't the festival can't do too much about that imo.

Plenty of them that are liked and followed. I'd say they're at an unfair disadvantage anyway as naturally record labels would be skeptical about them, so normalising them would correct that. If you have direct influence on the public, I'd say course you should do what's right at the expense of very minor financial gain anyway

Brand New would be good!

If we want them to include more female fronted bands then the following just need to get booked:

Wolf Alice either third down or subbing co-headliners

Give London Grammar a half decent spot somewhere, Clean Bandit could headline NME easily

The Big Moon early main stage slot, Echosmith on the main stage a bit further up, give Black Honey a good spot because they're fantastic

Daughter main stage? Say 5th down?

Estrons, Pale Waves early to mid NME slots

Honeyblood, Sunflower Bean FR stage

Fill the dance tent (not sure what it's exactly called, but the one where all the pop acts go) with the likes of Charli XCX, Anne-Marie, Louisa Johnson, Ray BLK etc, Dua Lipa as a headliner or possibly NME.

Marmozets either decent main stage slot or higher in the NME, depending on their album (if it doesn't do that well then leave them off for a year)

Plenty of decent grime out there - Lady Leshurr, Nadia Rose etc, and obviously DJ wise there's Annie Mac, Hannah Wants etc

PVRIS pit headliners? Or Babymetal?

Would like Let's Eat Grandma to get a bit of recognition

I'd love the Pretty Reckless to be there as I missed last year although they'd need another album I think, but Halestorm would fit in somewhere, same with the likes of Nightwish (pit headliner?), or Within Temptation

Paramore is a potential headliner, they'd do it on their own if the other two were big acts. The XX would make good co-headliner with someone like alt-J or Tame Impala, if not a really strong sub!

For something unusual like I said Lana Del Rey would be an incredible sub to have, I would love to see her live, and some more left field stuff, Kate Nash as a FR headliner, just for a bit of a throwback? Or if you wanna go really bold get Evanescence like fifth down main or Pit headliner

Are the Yeah Yeah Yeahs still around? Get The Kills on there somewhere too, and the girl from Gossip has some stuff out I think.

There's plenty out there...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, swede said:

Unless there's rumblings of new music from TOP they won't be touring next year, the tour dates for Blurryface are all done. Is their turnaround usually quick ? If not it's 2019 for them me thinks.

Will Catfish still be touring next summer as well, I think not. 

I also think Foo's will play Download

TOP are meant to be headlining a festival in austria a few weeks before R/L

Reading Friday/Leeds Saturday:
Main: Royal Blood / Catfish and the Bottlemen / Stormzy / Babymetal / The Amazons / The Hunna / Death From Above / Basement
NME: Dizzee Rascal / Jack Garratt / The Horrors

Reading Saturday/Leeds Sunday:
Main: Arctic Monkeys / Courteeners / Panic! at the Disco / Tyler, the Creator / Mastodon / Creeper / Fickle Friends / The Sherlocks / Inheaven
NME: Annie Mac / J-Hus

Reading Sunday/Leeds Friday:
Main: Drake / Wolf Alice / The Kooks / Don Broco / The Wombats / Peace / Declan McKenna / Hinds
NME: Enter Shikari / Nothing But Thieves

Friday:

Queens Of The Stone Age / Royal Blood / Wolf Alice / Cage The Elephant / Feeder / Halestorm / Young Guns / Touche Amore / Black Peaks

Jamie T / Slaves

Saturday:

Drake / The Chainsmokers / Stormzy / Jack Garratt / Ghost / Creeper / Fickle Friends / SWMRS / Eliza and The Bear

Courteeners / Nothing But Thieves

Sunday:

Arctic Monkeys / Catfish and The Bottlemen / Panic! At The Disco / Don Broco / Twin Atlantic / Declan McKenna / The Hunna / As It Is / Fangclub

Enter Shikari / Stone Sour

Main: THE KILLERS, Catfish & The Bottlemen, Enter Shikari, Tyler, The Creator, Nothing But Thieves, The Amazons, Aminé, IDLES, Black Foxxes
NME: Future, Dua Lipa
The Pit: Sleeping With Sirens
Dance: Camo & Crooked 
FR: The Hives
1xtra: Loyle Carner

Main: KANYE WEST, Tame Impala, Travis Scott, Brand New, Creeper, Logic, Marmozets, King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard, Honeyblood
NME: CHVRCHES, All Time Low
The Pit: AFI
Dance: Porter Robinson & Madeon
FR: King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard
1xtra: Joey Bada$$

Main: ROYAL BLOOD & TWENTY ONE PILOTS, Wolf Alice, Don Broco, Mastodon, Neck Deep, Alien Ant Farm, Muncie Girls, Black Honey
NME: Jamie xx, Anderson .Paak
Lock-Up: Papa Roach
Dance: Knife Party
FR: Drenge
1xtra: Pusha T

3 hours ago, callum97 said:

Jesus, they might as well rename it to V fest

most of those acts have never played V Fest, what a weird thing to say

2 hours ago, thelemon said:

The XX (which would surely have to be on a co-headline).

i don't buy this. They've not played R+L since 2009, presumably because they'd (rightly) want to headline the thing but have (wrongly) never been offered it.

Catfish are great live 

incorrect

I say this every year but imagine the Prodigy! We need that! I was thinking that a nostalgia act like Franz Ferdinand or The Kooks on a mid slot on the main stage would be a cool idea, the crowd would love that. Also think the Happy Mondays on the FR would be brilliant, although I don't see it

they make shite 'nostalgia' bookings like The Kooks and The Wombats every year, the Happy Mondays would be a bizarre booking these days though.

1 hour ago, thelemon said:

Brand New would be good!

If we want them to include more female fronted bands then the following just need to get booked:

Wolf Alice either third down or subbing co-headliners

Give London Grammar a half decent spot somewhere, Clean Bandit could headline NME easily

The Big Moon early main stage slot, Echosmith on the main stage a bit further up, give Black Honey a good spot because they're fantastic

Daughter main stage? Say 5th down?

Estrons, Pale Waves early to mid NME slots

Honeyblood, Sunflower Bean FR stage

Fill the dance tent (not sure what it's exactly called, but the one where all the pop acts go) with the likes of Charli XCX, Anne-Marie, Louisa Johnson, Ray BLK etc, Dua Lipa as a headliner or possibly NME.

Marmozets either decent main stage slot or higher in the NME, depending on their album (if it doesn't do that well then leave them off for a year)

Plenty of decent grime out there - Lady Leshurr, Nadia Rose etc, and obviously DJ wise there's Annie Mac, Hannah Wants etc

PVRIS pit headliners? Or Babymetal?

Would like Let's Eat Grandma to get a bit of recognition

I'd love the Pretty Reckless to be there as I missed last year although they'd need another album I think, but Halestorm would fit in somewhere, same with the likes of Nightwish (pit headliner?), or Within Temptation

Paramore is a potential headliner, they'd do it on their own if the other two were big acts. The XX would make good co-headliner with someone like alt-J or Tame Impala, if not a really strong sub!

For something unusual like I said Lana Del Rey would be an incredible sub to have, I would love to see her live, and some more left field stuff, Kate Nash as a FR headliner, just for a bit of a throwback? Or if you wanna go really bold get Evanescence like fifth down main or Pit headliner

Are the Yeah Yeah Yeahs still around? Get The Kills on there somewhere too, and the girl from Gossip has some stuff out I think.

There's plenty out there...

Sigrid is a future headliner IMO please and thank you

7 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

i don't buy this. They've not played R+L since 2009, presumably because they'd (rightly) want to headline the thing but have (wrongly) never been offered it.

Yeah ever since their first album came out in 2009 they've been headline or nothing... despite not headlining anything and existing nonetheless. They wouldn't even headline now.