box of red wine

shuttlep

In my experience ( and I am dangerously close to 50 so I have a lot of experience)  rose and white wine are to be drunk chilled ( 4 degrees at the most ) . Warm or warmish is pretty putrid. Red wine is going to be my choice of hand luggage plus a case of beer, clearly to be quaffed before they get warm. I will of course have to take some water just to show the Mrs that in not going to be boozing for 5 days straight!! Eerrrrrrrr......

Edited by andyb66

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 16/05/2016 at 11:26 AM, Purple aki squat said:

Don't do it. A box of cheap red wine during the stones the other year fucked my Sunday up good and proper. Traumatic hangover that was.

Stick to vodka

Came in here thinking 'Ooo maybe red wine would be a good idea this year'

This post has brought me back to my senses. Thank you.

* hastily leaves thread *

15 minutes ago, Junglist1981 said:

Came in here thinking 'Ooo maybe red wine would be a good idea this year'

This post has brought me back to my senses. Thank you.

* hastily leaves thread *

you can't have a cab sav Saturday morning without a few boxes of the red gold

5 hours ago, Greenelk said:

This is very drinkable - http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=280303058

They used to do a Shiraz from that winemaker as well, which was excellent, but sadly can't find that anymore

I second this, despite it not being 3L it's worth it as it's delicious. It was my nighttime drink of choice last year. Used to come in a handy carry case too but may not anymore 

1 hour ago, andyb66 said:

In my experience ( and I am dangerously close to 50 so I have a lot of experience)  rose and white wine are to be drunk chilled ( 4 degrees at the most ) . Warm or warmish is pretty putrid. Red wine is going to be my choice of hand luggage plus a case of beer, clearly to be quaffed before they get warm. I will of course have to take some water just to show the Mrs that in not going to be boozing for 5 days straight!! Eerrrrrrrr......

Just bring an empty water bottle, and tell her you're filling up on site. Obviously, when you don't do that, she'll never know.

I have been taking Aldi's Shiraz down, but either I'm drinking too much of it or my tastes are changing to have a softer red, I don't know, except about 11pm, it gets a bit much. I'll have a look at the other wines on offer.

6 hours ago, Greenelk said:

This is very drinkable - http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=280303058

They used to do a Shiraz from that winemaker as well, which was excellent, but sadly can't find that anymore

great wee link thank you!

just discovered the delights of a malbec last weekend after being strictly a shiraz or cabernet girl. I'll need to buy one to try.....maybe this weekend......the full 3 bottles worth :rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, pinkmolly226 said:

great wee link thank you!

just discovered the delights of a malbec last weekend after being strictly a shiraz or cabernet girl. I'll need to buy one to try.....maybe this weekend......the full 3 bottles worth :rolleyes:

You'll have to let me know your opinion.

And apologies for the fact it's not 3 litres, It's our end of Festival drink, as I make lots of fresh Sangria for the other half for the first few days, and I'm on the Cheddar Valley these days!

4 hours ago, Charm said:

Thanks, bought an echo falls Zinfandel in asda this morning, hoping it will be ok, also noticed boxed cocktails, bought a few tins in different flavours for testing. 
Charm x

Oooooh must say not a fan of echo falls as feel it's too harsh... I tend to go with a box of blossom hill White Zinfandel but this is strictly kept at tent as I would die if I drank wine all day lol

we have two cooler bags and all Capri suns, smoothies and water have been frozen which help the booze keep cold

yes know it will be heavy but we have sack trucks and don't know meaning of traveling light

on red wine front find when temperatures drop in the night makes it taste funny, we only brought it one in 2010 and never bothered since just have the rose

28 minutes ago, Greenelk said:

You'll have to let me know your opinion.

And apologies for the fact it's not 3 litres, It's our end of Festival drink, as I make lots of fresh Sangria for the other half for the first few days, and I'm on the Cheddar Valley these days!

No need to apologise it's not your fault lol.

Good tip with the sangria. I'll prob be on the wine for 2 days then i'll have a hangover and need to stick to beers/cocktails so sangria is a shout if there's wine left :D

8 hours ago, The Nal said:

Echo Falls Zin Rose is what they sell at the bars on site mainly. £4.50 a pop for a quarter bottle I think. Spend a fortune on it in 2013 so decided never again. Always BYOB. Fine dropping some ice into it too. Dangerously easy to drink.

What I got today was £4.50 a bottle, so I'm feeling pretty happy with that, good tip about the ice. 
Charm x

3 hours ago, shoptildrop said:

Oooooh must say not a fan of echo falls as feel it's too harsh... I tend to go with a box of blossom hill White Zinfandel but this is strictly kept at tent as I would die if I drank wine all day lol

we have two cooler bags and all Capri suns, smoothies and water have been frozen which help the booze keep cold

yes know it will be heavy but we have sack trucks and don't know meaning of traveling light

on red wine front find when temperatures drop in the night makes it taste funny, we only brought it one in 2010 and never bothered since just have the rose

Thanks for the tip but unfortunately it's already bought, which was rather silly of me really as it's likely I will end up drinking it, like the rest of the alcohol I got for the festival. 
Charm x

34 minutes ago, donthaveacoolname said:

I have been thinking about doing this but I'd be worried it wouldn't stand up to it

Perhaps a better idea would be to decant the wine into a series of smaller plastic bottles (say 500ml)  

You could probably then have one of these each day whilst the others stored in the tent would still be full to the top thus preventing the wine from oxidising as it would if left in a half empty larger plastic bottle. 

Not sure if they still do but waitrose used to sell wine in plastic bottles presumably aimed at festival/camping market. 

Edited by rubenz

10 hours ago, rubenz said:

Perhaps a better idea would be to decant the wine into a series of smaller plastic bottles (say 500ml)  

You could probably then have one of these each day whilst the others stored in the tent would still be full to the top thus preventing the wine from oxidising as it would if left in a half empty larger plastic bottle. 

Not sure if they still do but waitrose used to sell wine in plastic bottles presumably aimed at festival/camping market. 

I might do a trial run on that idea this weekend good idea. Thanks

• 1 year later...
9 minutes ago, cornish hick said:

Scroll up the page a bit Nal - there's (theirs/they ares) a couple of good recommendations for it.

Yep, just purchased a box for this year, though may need to double up, as seem to recall it ran out quite quickly last year

Edited by Greenelk