Best Chocolate Bars

Gucci Piggy

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, TheGayTent said:

No - Looks like I'm in the minority 

Would you mind sharing what your Christmas treat traditions are then?

Ours were - biscuits, tins of chocolates (purple one was my favourite), chocolate coins, chocolate orange (used to be a real tangerine, back in the day) - can't remember what else.

4 minutes ago, feral chile said:

Ours were - biscuits, tins of chocolates (purple one was my favourite), chocolate coins, chocolate orange (used to be a real tangerine, back in the day) - can't remember what else.

I can honestly say that biscuits have never played a significant part in Xmas in my experience. 

"Oh Xmas is coming, must replenish the biscuit barrel" is a phrase entirely absent from my life.

Cakes, turkey, twiglets, crackers, stockings, ...Yup. 

Biscuits... no, sorry!

7 minutes ago, LJS said:

I can honestly say that biscuits have never played a significant part in Xmas in my experience. 

"Oh Xmas is coming, must replenish the biscuit barrel" is a phrase entirely absent from my life.

Cakes, turkey, twiglets, crackers, stockings, ...Yup. 

Biscuits... no, sorry!

replenish? What's this replenish thing? I'm talking bread and butter for tea, or a plate of green beans from the allotment. I STILL get a kick out of a box of broken biscuits.

1 hour ago, feral chile said:

Walnuts, Brazil nuts, dates, chocolates. No biscuits. 

23 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Walnuts, Brazil nuts, dates, chocolates. No biscuits. 

oh yeah, we had the old nuts and nutcracker, monkey nuts, dates, toffee with a little hammer, Turkish delight, marzipan fruits, etc.

So far, I decided not to buy unhealthy food for Christmas.

I decided there was no need for it, we don't need to build up fat to see us through the winter famine. That all the rich food was an anachronism, a relic from the days when we had to rely on home grown food and last it out from harvest to spring.

I've already cracked and made a cake and a pud.

Edited by feral chile

Was over in Belfast for a wedding at the weekend and we got after eights after the meal.

Used to always have them at Christmas but hadn't had one in years. 

Knew nothing of the game where you stick it on your forehead and try and manoeuvre it, no hands, into your mouth. The Irish easily beat the jocks at this and also won the sweep on how long the speeches would last :-(

We have a Christmas morning breakfast made entirely of biscuits - my mum always used to say we couldnt have a proper breakfast as we wouldn't appreciate the Christmas dinner. 

But my family might just have the strangest Christmas tradition going. On Christmas Eve we always go to the cinema in the afternoon and pick up a KFC on the way home. Absolutely no clue why, and how that doesn't ruin the Christmas dinner the next day I don't know - but if someone tried to take away my Christmas Eve KFC now I'd rip their bloody face off.

P.S. We don't eat KFC at any other time of the year

Edited by mjsell

7 hours ago, mjsell said:

We have a Christmas morning breakfast made entirely of biscuits - my mum always used to say we couldnt have a proper breakfast as we wouldn't appreciate the Christmas dinner. 

But my family might just have the strangest Christmas tradition going. On Christmas Eve we always go to the cinema in the afternoon and pick up a KFC on the way home. Absolutely no clue why, and how that doesn't ruin the Christmas dinner the next day I don't know - but if someone tried to take away my Christmas Eve KFC now I'd rip their bloody face off.

Wow. You have the worst Christmas family tradition I have ever heard! Congratulations ! 

On 07/12/2016 at 0:15 AM, mjsell said:

This is an ancient Japanese Tradition.

My family have always got a tin of biscuits in at Christmas "for visitors"

In terms of chocolate based Christmas traditions - chocolate Santa and chocolate coins in stockings, I always get a chocolate orange or two, there are After Eights with coffee at the end of dinner and by 8pm Christmas Day, the Roses come out.