Reusable pint glasses

brettredmayne

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 19/04/2016 at 4:41 PM, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Can't see how a steel cup will keep beer colder for longer.....cardboard is a much better insulator than steel.

In proper heat it's also possible these could get uncomfortably hot to hold?

As mentioned, it's just a trial, and it's also worth remembering that this is at least as much about showing support for British steel as it is to reduce waste. Else they'd be using plastic which is far easier to deal with.

Some bright spark should design an insulation glove for the steel cup like what you get in places like Thailand when you buy a bottle in a bar.

Anyone in the industry fancy coming on Dragon's Den with me?  

I reckon Deborah would be right up for it.

Edited by chrislfc

34 minutes ago, chrislfc said:

Some bright spark should design an insulation glove for the steel cup like what you get in places like Thailand when you buy a bottle in a bar.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Breaking-Bad-Hermanos-Heisenberg-Coolers/dp/B01418MZ4A/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1461221887&sr=1-1&keywords=neoprene+cup+cooler

Great idea but can surely just be a trial run. Thousands are going to take these home, logo or not!

2 hours ago, chrislfc said:

Already available for the Glastonbury steel cups. Made locally from sheepskin.

DSC_0241_zps590uucm6.jpg

On 19/04/2016 at 3:41 PM, eFestivals said:

especially when tens of thousands of them might get kept as souvenirs.

They'll only become souvenirs at the end of the festival, if at all as they're unmarked

250k cups. 177.5k people in total. Not everyone drinks/drinks pints. Used In 10 bars. if the turn around is quick enough it might work.

The main problem I see is the increase in site traffic, which the Eavises & MDC wanted to reduce.The huge long drop pits were built precisely for this purpose.

One thing I'm slightly surprised about is Licensing/weights & measures allowing a non see through receptacle. Be aware of getting served a Combe Downer (short pint).

52 minutes ago, Dave F. said:

They'll only become souvenirs at the end of the festival, if at all as they're unmarked

Nah. The types who'll want to keep one will make sure they hold onto their first one, in case they don't get a chance at a second one. That's defo how it worked with the returnable cups last year.

Got mixed feelings about these. It's great gesture for the British steel industry at such an awful time for it, well better than anything the government seems interested in making. Can see the pros in an environmental sense and simply keeping your pint colder longer and not leaking... Slightly concerned that people will be chucking them around at the front of the Pyramid or whatever, but they shouldn't hurt too much if they land on your head...

1 minute ago, RichardWaller said:

Got mixed feelings about these. It's great gesture for the British steel industry at such an awful time for it, well better than anything the government seems interested in making. Can see the pros in an environmental sense and simply keeping your pint colder longer and not leaking... Slightly concerned that people will be chucking them around at the front of the Pyramid or whatever, but they shouldn't hurt too much if they land on your head...

I can't remember seeing the paper cups being chucked around much at the Pyramid, at least not since the 90s. Should be fine.

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I can't remember seeing the paper cups being chucked around much at the Pyramid, at least not since the 90s. Should be fine.

Course it happens, but obviously not enough for it to be a concern, hopefully will be fine. Suppose there are plenty of other festivals where it's a bigger problem, can't imagine it going down too well at Leeds/Reading or V.

Course, I want to take one home with me too.

Edited by RichardWaller

13 minutes ago, RichardWaller said:

Course it happens, but obviously not enough for it to be a concern, hopefully will be fine. Suppose there are plenty of other festivals where it's a bigger problem, can't imagine it going down too well at Leeds/Reading or V.

Course, I want to take one home with me too.

T in the park! Can only imagine the carnage there with steel cups

14 hours ago, RichardWaller said:

Slightly concerned that people will be chucking them around at the front of the Pyramid or whatever, but they shouldn't hurt too much if they land on your head...

At 5 quid a pop?

Cheaper to chuck almost anything else.

14 hours ago, RichardWaller said:

Slightly concerned that people will be chucking them around at the front of the Pyramid or whatever, but they shouldn't hurt too much if they land on your head...

Definitely a concern. Beeb says that due to their shape they're difficult to throw very far: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-36081818. When you consider that people already have full cans of beer/cider to throw, which would cost a lot less than the fiver cups, it shouldn't be a problem.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/23/2016 at 11:59 PM, Brave Sir Robin said:

Definitely a concern. Beeb says that due to their shape they're difficult to throw very far: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-36081818. When you consider that people already have full cans of beer/cider to throw, which would cost a lot less than the fiver cups, it shouldn't be a problem.

A reckon a can unopened would have more damage and they haven't stopped them. 

34 minutes ago, Michaelgball said:

Correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't these steel cups going to completely replace the paper cups?

Not yet. Only 10 bars will have them and there are only 250,000 cups, which are probably going to be swapped rather than refilled. Nowhere near enough. Looks like a pilot scheme to me.

• 3 weeks later...