G-G-G-Gigs 2016

RedRockRick

Nada Surf @ Electric Ballroom, Camden

It's about 10 years since I last saw them and I'd (almost) forgotten how good they were. Slightly beefier sound with the extra guitar, but the songs are still great. The mini-acoustic session in the merch area was a bonus treat. Amber Arcades opened and were more than nice. I somehow had it in my head that they would be somewhat synthy, but fortunately I was wrong.

IMG_0044[1].JPG

Just seen animal collective at the troxy and they were amazing. Blissed out and uplifting. The crowd were lifted up from posing and talking to dancing with the biggest smiles I've seen in London for a long time.

Not very good with song names but they played a couple from Feels, one from Spirit They've Gone and one from Merryweather. The new songs sounded incredible.

Can't wait for the Woods stage

On 12 April 2016 at 11:06 PM, lamstonite said:

Just seen animal collective at the troxy and they were amazing. Blissed out and uplifting. The crowd were lifted up from posing and talking to dancing with the biggest smiles I've seen in London for a long time.

Not very good with song names but they played a couple from Feels, one from Spirit They've Gone and one from Merryweather. The new songs sounded incredible.

Can't wait for the Woods stage

Interesting - the Guardian review of this tour was pretty damning. Clearly a band that splits opinion! 

• 2 weeks later...

Richmond Fontaine @ Bleach, Brighton; Railway, Winchester (matinee and evening shows), Dingwalls, Camden

Completely on top form on this tour: it's good they're finishing on a high. Hard to pick a show: Brighton very intense, Winchester two entirely different sets apart from two encores. Catch them while you can.

IMG_0058[1].JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I got a free ticket to see Yes in Oxford last night. Oh my God... awful awful stuff. Probably the best musicianship I've ever seen, but the songs were dreadful and they played for 3 hours. I'd have much preferred watching some unkown spotty youths thrashing out the same three chords all evening. Each to their own I guess!

Edited by paulwa

• 2 weeks later...

10cc at Rock Against Cancer/Concert at the Kings, All Cannings, Wiltshire

Stunning. Tremendous musicianship, top tunes, wonderful harmonies. There's probably only two of the original band still playing, but I had to agree with my mate when he said they sounded like a band on top of their game. If they're on at a festival you're going to this summer, they really are worth going along to see. A real reminder about the craft of quality songwriting.

• 1 month later...

Seems like every other day I'm looking around to see if Joanna Newsom has announced any other UK dates around EotR time yet. Unfortunately not looking likely now. I was gifted with Sufjan Stevens and Ought gigs on consecutive nights in Manchester from last year's line-up.