Love wychwood but line up weaker by year on year?

Might just be me, but we started going four years ago, and whilst I wouldn't miss it for the world, feel that the main stage is getting a little weaker year on year. Might just be me and hey we go for more reasons than just the headliners? But seem to have lost that bit of a ninety's vibe which appeals to my generation? James Happy Monday's, Levellers even a bit of eighths would help, loved the Human League and my kids still rave about them. 

Anyway not not really a moan more a comment that it is feeling a little more sevenths Boney M 10cc etc. Which whilst not a bad thing would be good alongside a Suede or James."..................

agree with you - but not just on the taste side of things, but on the general quality.

How a festival charging 130 odd quid a ticket can have Boney M headlining is beyond me. 

I always look to compare the lineup with Watchet (£60 for weekend ticket, less capacity and take your own beer in) - the last few years the Watchet lineup has been better, in my opinion.

43 minutes ago, man next door said:

agree with you - but not just on the taste side of things, but on the general quality.

How a festival charging 130 odd quid a ticket can have Boney M headlining is beyond me. 

I always look to compare the lineup with Watchet (£60 for weekend ticket, less capacity and take your own beer in) - the last few years the Watchet lineup has been better, in my opinion.

A festival is the sum of all its parts.

I've not been to Watchett myself, tho I've heard it's nice, but it doesn't generally have as many &/or as big names on its line-up as Wychwood. Wychwood also has its wealth of kids activities. Which is better value is a subjective decision around what each offer. And while I personally thought Boney M were dreadful loads of people loved them (are they deaf? :P), which just re-affirms the subjectiveness of it all.

Who any festival can book is limited by the amount of money they have available to spend, and who is both available and willing to do it - and even the biggest festivals don't have every act jumping at their offers. From bits and pieces I hear from all sorts of different festivals it's all much harder than people tend to think, and sometimes even those biggest name festivals end up having to go with lower profile acts than they'd want to in an ideal world ... why not take a moment to skim your eyes across the headliner names of the UK's biggest festivals for this year?

I know it took them years to get Bill Bailey to agree to do it last time. It's not as easy as just picking who you want.

GiantKatestacks - last time Bill Bailey did the sunday at wychwood, they had him on at 6-7 ish - so you might be able to make it work.

Agree with you Neil - I bet pulling these things together and booking the 'biggies' can be really difficult - the Bearded Theory blog gave a great insight into where these smaller festivals sit in the pecking order - the politics involved, the exclusivity deals etc - it must be really frustrating for them.

but..... As wychwood have corporate sponsorship too (a low point being when someone tried to persuade me to change gas supplier as I went for a pi$$ after seeing someone on the main stage), and have the revenue from the bar (can't bring your own drinks - remember) I just wonder where the money goes compared to others I've mentioned.

maybe it's the racecoursse, which can't be cheap. 

As it's close, and does day tickets (an unfortunate necessity atm with 2 kids under 3 and a poorly wife) I always keep my eye out but there's not been a day I consider worth the money they're asking for years....

Edited by man next door

40 minutes ago, man next door said:

GiantKatestacks - last time Bill Bailey did the sunday at wychwood, they had him on at 6-7 ish - so you might be able to make it work.

Agree with you Neil - I bet pulling these things together and booking the 'biggies' can be really difficult - the Bearded Theory blog gave a great insight into where these smaller festivals sit in the pecking order - the politics involved, the exclusivity deals etc - it must be really frustrating for them.

but..... As wychwood have corporate sponsorship too (a low point being when someone tried to persuade me to change gas supplier as I went for a pi$$ after seeing someone on the main stage), and have the revenue from the bar (can't bring your own drinks - remember) I just wonder where the money goes compared to others I've mentioned.

maybe it's the racecoursse, which can't be cheap. 

As it's close, and does day tickets (an unfortunate necessity atm with 2 kids under 3 and a poorly wife) I always keep my eye out but there's not been a day I consider worth the money they're asking for years....

I know that many years they've made a loss, and once or twice have made a small profit - the dependent factor being how much of a walk-up of day ticketers they get ... so wherever the money is going, it's not in their pockets. It's lucky to have a rich backer (the guy who does most of the stage announcements, who wanted to be involved in a festival for the fun of it).

But if you look at the 'names' on the bill at Wychwood and compare with Watchett, there's a world of difference - and it's probably on those many more 'names' that the money goes. I doubt Watchet has ever got to even half the price of what Wychwood spends on it's most expensive headliners.

I know Boney M wasn't booked because of a cheap price, but because they were considered the best available option with the money available for a band for that slot - and because there were so few options.

And yeah, I doubt the racecourse is cheap. This year it's using a different part of the land as the building work has eaten too-much into the space it used before, so it'll be interesting to see the difference. I reckon it might be good to get away from that part-tarmaced bit it was using before.

I wouldn't choose to go on the line-up alone as it's not much my bag, and yet I also find myself enjoying the acts I see - even the ones I don't necessarily think much of, as I quite enjoy being subjected to bands I wouldn't otherwise go out of my way to see. It'll never be everyone's bag, but it's found itself a decent niche and worked out how to do it well, and it's a nice gentle easy start to my summer of festies.

Tend to agree with the last comments, really enjoyed Boney M last year, even though they are  light years away from what I would listen too. There is a lot more to Wychwood than just the main bands, hey they got Sam Sam the bubble man!!!

i just can't help feel were missing something this year that's all

The rocker in me wants Thunder or Quireboys !!

the ninety's lad wants Suede or James (again) !!!

being Welsh got to go for Manics or Stereo's

But if you asked who is up to date and totally relevant I would love to see"............

Rick Astley !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (You heard his new song ? OMG) see I even know text speak 

4 minutes ago, man next door said:

Boomtown rats,  ub40  and Boney M have all headlined (or are headlining) both festivals - so I don't follow how you arrive at the large disparity of headline acts you're talking about. 

There really isn't all that much in it, in my opinion.

I just looked at a couple of years line-ups for each.

Personal tastes aside, if you can't spot the difference I've no idea what's going on in your head.

Wychwood has a hell of a lot more than just the bands! And yes it is stronger than places like watched, but look at forgotten fields, travelling man, standon calling & crop idly etc. All similar ilk & price but for me line up is stronger. That is totally personal taste mind, just what first appealed to me about wychwood was the eclectic and broad range of music over a range of years. Young family but born is seventys it seemed to tick boxes for the whole family, just feel my inner ninety's child is being neglected !! Still on ticket for life so we will be there come what may.

I'm also on Ticket for Life.  It suits me as a good warm up for the summer, not too far and a chance to check out the caravan.  Also always found the crowd a friendly bunch.

Bill Bailey last time was one of my stand out festival performances.

One drawback for me with Watchet is no caravans.

In fairness, a better comparison would be comparing the Wychwood Saturday lineup with the Watchet weekend lineup - I think there's only a tenner difference in what those two things will cost you.

You're very generous to Wychwood I'd say, Neal.

Have a quick look at what Bearded theory are putting on , across 5 stages, for less money per ticket, with no corporate sponsorship, without milking the bar profits - compared to Wychwood.  There really is no contest.

I understand that 'wychwood is so much more than the bands' blah blah blah (they all are in reality), but the lineups really are thin for the money.

You're very generous to Wychwood I'd say, Neal.

Nah. For Watchett you're trying to compare a league 2 footie team with a league 1 team, and expecting both to be equal on everything when they're clearly not. Just because there's reasons why an individual might prefer the lower team doesn't make them equal.

Have a quick look at what Bearded theory are putting on , across 5 stages, for less money per ticket, with no corporate sponsorship, without milking the bar profits - compared to Wychwood.  There really is no contest.

I understand that 'wychwood is so much more than the bands' blah blah blah (they all are in reality), but the lineups really are thin for the money.

That's definitely a closer match than Watchett is, tho for this year a direct comparison can't be done just yet, as BT has announced just about everything and Wychwood hasn't yet. But even so, they're still not a match. Wychwood provides a load of kids/family stuff that Bearded doesn't, and that's a big part of the differences and the different market and tastes they each aim at.

V festival is about the same price as Glastonbury, and offers much less for the money - and yet is still very popular, selling around the same number of tickets. That doesn't mean it has no place being a festival, it means it offers something different to the people who want that difference.

If something else is more your bag, go for it. Moaning that Wychwood isn't your bag just sounds bitter. ;)

Edited by eFestivals

Efestival  admin geezer,

go easy on the moaning and bitter line, if can't accept constructive critism then you alienate a lot of people. I would suggest that as a wholly commercial being wychwood needs to listen and learn to its followers, therefore ensuring it grows and keeps itself sustainable, which is something we all want.

telling us we are bitter and moaners, just advises me that your not interested and my money is better spent with someone who puts on something more suited to my tastes.

18 minutes ago, Christian_chambers said:

Efestival  admin geezer,

go easy on the moaning and bitter line, if can't accept constructive critism then you alienate a lot of people. I would suggest that as a wholly commercial being wychwood needs to listen and learn to its followers, therefore ensuring it grows and keeps itself sustainable, which is something we all want.

telling us we are bitter and moaners, just advises me that your not interested and my money is better spent with someone who puts on something more suited to my tastes.

I'm just trying to be fair, across all of the festivals market. It's a market that caters for all tastes, and no player in that market should be thinking it can satisfy every taste.

I could write hugely long criticisms of (say) V festival because it's not my bag, but I don't because despite that it serves a niche and the people who want that niche are happy with what they get.

You don't (I guess) stand outside Tesco and complain about their chickens for a fiver when you can get them for £4 at the local butchers, you go and buy at the butchers if that's what you want - and I'm simply pointing out that's a better way to go at it. Vote with your feet or your wallet if you wish to; expecting somewhere to conform to everything you might personally want and bitching cos it doesn't is just daft.

I don't gain anything at all by posting words back against these posts. I'm hoping people might gain a bit more insight via which their own thoughts might be better ordered.

I thought we were just having a reasoned and sensible discussion Neal. I'm not in the slightest bit bitter about what Wychwood do or do not provide for the money. This is a forum, and I was putting forward my view that Wychwood does not compare favourably to other small festivals when looked at objectively. I'm glad I engaged you, because you obviusly know what your talking about when it comes to festivals. 

If you are continuing the discussion, which it sounds as though you are, then I'd say not even the kids stuff gives it the edge over Bearded - for whom the Angel Gardens ( I think they're called - might be wrong) have always been a strong aspect of the festival. It was Bearded who have pioneered the school curriculum idea, which is already catching on at other festivals. The difference is that none of the kids stuff costs additionally at Bearded, unlike our friends at Wychwood. 

We know Wychwood provides the 'safe' (substitute in middle class / expensive here) perceived environment - and lots of people enjoy that - but lets' not start trying to claim it represents good value for money - which is really the point I'm trying to make.

1 hour ago, man next door said:

I thought we were just having a reasoned and sensible discussion Neal. I'm not in the slightest bit bitter about what Wychwood do or do not provide for the money.

oh really....? :lol:

On 14/04/2016 at 0:59 PM, man next door said:

How a festival charging 130 odd quid a ticket can....

On 15/04/2016 at 9:22 AM, man next door said:

I just wonder where the money goes....

4 hours ago, man next door said:

for less money per ticket....

1 hour ago, man next door said:

I thought we were just having a reasoned and sensible discussion Neal. I'm not in the slightest bit bitter about what Wychwood do or do not provide for the money. This is a forum, and I was putting forward my view that Wychwood does not compare favourably to other small festivals when looked at objectively. I'm glad I engaged you, because you obviusly know what your talking about when it comes to festivals. 

If you are continuing the discussion, which it sounds as though you are, then I'd say not even the kids stuff gives it the edge over Bearded - for whom the Angel Gardens ( I think they're called - might be wrong) have always been a strong aspect of the festival. It was Bearded who have pioneered the school curriculum idea, which is already catching on at other festivals. The difference is that none of the kids stuff costs additionally at Bearded, unlike our friends at Wychwood. 

We know Wychwood provides the 'safe' (substitute in middle class / expensive here) perceived environment - and lots of people enjoy that - but lets' not start trying to claim it represents good value for money - which is really the point I'm trying to make.

It can't be looked at objectively. What is good value is *ALWAYS* a subjective decision, unless everything is 100% identical except the price. Horses for courses.  Just because you might think Wychwood poor value doesn't get to mean that's how everyone sees it.

I'm not rating your comparison skills.

Look let's all just CHILL a minute :rolleyes:

when I started this thread it was with best intentions. Think most people love Wychwood and don't try to compare it with anywhere else, you got the Prestbury hills behind you, long late spring early summer days, what more do you want???

what does need noting is that the Main stage line up feels like it's getting a little weaker year by year, and if we want to keep it rolling and not go under , cause if it did what would I do that weekend if each year??? This should be highlighted. This year the bands confirmed look weak compared to BT forgotten fields etc. Etc. Now there might be a surprise or two still too come, but it is correct and fair that people have used this open forum to highlight the current shortcomings.

It's called being constructive. There is no need for anybody to take offence or get defensive, we all want the same thing, a bloody good weekend.

7 minutes ago, Christian_chambers said:

when I started this thread it was with best intentions. Think most people love Wychwood and don't try to compare it with anywhere else, you got the Prestbury hills behind you, long late spring early summer days, what more do you want???

yep, you did that. :)

Not everyone did.  ;)

You've really let yourself down there Neil. 

The case I've been making is based on value for money , hence the numerous references to what Wychwood costs. That does not infer bitterness. It's feasible to point these things out, without being bitter. I would think you'd be able to see that, if you chose to.

We know that efests has its ties with Wychwood, and seemingly this is why you're unable to discuss these things sensibly and objectively.

For that reason, I'll stop trying to have a sensible public discussion with you - but If you'd rather not admit it out loud, feel free to PM it to me, I won't tell anyone I promise.  ;)

anyway - see you at the front for 10cc - it'll be the best thing since.... Ali Campbell's (not the real) UB40 I'm sure!!  :D

17 minutes ago, man next door said:

You've really let yourself down there Neil. 

The case I've been making is based on value for money , hence the numerous references to what Wychwood costs. That does not infer bitterness. It's feasible to point these things out, without being bitter. I would think you'd be able to see that, if you chose to.

We know that efests has its ties with Wychwood, and seemingly this is why you're unable to discuss these things sensibly and objectively.

For that reason, I'll stop trying to have a sensible public discussion with you - but If you'd rather not admit it out loud, feel free to PM it to me, I won't tell anyone I promise.  ;)

anyway - see you at the front for 10cc - it'll be the best thing since.... Ali Campbell's (not the real) UB40 I'm sure!!  :D

You're allowed your opinion it seems, but you don't want to allow mine.

I've pointed out that value for money is subjective. You want to believe you have the definitive opinion about it, and my differing opinion must therefore be driven by something else.

It's not the sensible you claim of yourself. ;)

7 minutes ago, man next door said:

you are 'allowed' an opinion - it's the silliness I object to.

So please do tell me how thinking your subjective opinion on what is value for money is actually something objective, and not something silly.

7 minutes ago, man next door said:

slight change of subject - cos I know it's one you enjoy - how many original members of 10cc are you expecting to see in May?

I've no idea.

But here's betting any that there are are on stage for all of the set. :)