RIP Howard

Woffy

19 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Oh fuck, not Mr Nice! If you haven't read his autobiography then I recommend that you do. I also went to see one of his shows in Birmingham. When he walked on to stage nearly everybody in the audience lit one up!

Will check it out.  I enjoyed Life (Keith Richards' biog), though 'nice'  isn't a word that would really apply to him!

Oh gosh.

I remember climbing out of bed after the epic storm of 2005, leaving my husband fast asleep. I slid across a drenched site, past the horror of Pennards,  bought a cake for said husband. Sat down in a tent as someone was due to do "breakfast", never heard of this chap. Was thoroughly entertained that soggy morning,  resisted the cake and slid back to the tent, cake intact! 

Rip

6 hours ago, Migraine said:

i highly recommend giving this a listen, Pip's podcasts are really good and this one is a highlight, such a nice chat with Howard, some lovely stories and it was really good to hear him in such good spirits even when in the middle of fighting cancer

I don't know a massive amount about Howard Marks, but I have a genuine question to bolster my understanding of him, and indeed the drug trade (please don't take this as a criticism of the man). My question is "Why is a man who was a drug smuggler respected"? Would I be wrong in believing that some (if not all?) drug trade causes a lot of pain for the people in the countries where the drugs come from, often in South America? Plus problems for people who become addicted to the substance in the country they are imported into?

7 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

I don't know a massive amount about Howard Marks, but I have a genuine question to bolster my understanding of him, and indeed the drug trade (please don't take this as a criticism of the man). My question is "Why is a man who was a drug smuggler respected"? Would I be wrong in believing that some (if not all?) drug trade causes a lot of pain for the people in the countries where the drugs come from, often in South America? Plus problems for people who become addicted to the substance in the country they are imported into?

i'd suggest reading the book and making up your own mind, as any answer to your question could easily run into as many words as 'Mr Nice' did.  

22 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

He was importing and exporting weed. In the grand scheme of things he got fucked over really. 

His books are fantastic although his live show was a bit pants when I went to see him.

Really interesting bloke and such a shame he has passed. As far away from the sanitised x factor generation as you could get. 

33 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

he covers that quite well in the Scroobius pip podcast posted above so you might want to given that a listen, it's only a little over an hour so you can fly through it a lot faster than reading the entire of Mr Nice

I saw SFA a few years ago at the Royal Festival Hall and before the show he was in a 'confessional booth' outside the auditorium, where you could pop in and have a chat with him. Very long queue so I didn't get the chance but he looked like he was very much enjoying it all

15 hours ago, dizzymoo said:

Will check it out.  I enjoyed Life (Keith Richards' biog), though 'nice'  isn't a word that would really apply to him!

If truth be known Mr Nice wasn't that nice either. He hooked up with the IRA to get huge quantities of dope in to this country. I have no problem with people bringing dope in to the country but do, on reflection, have a problem with people who will use psychopaths to their own monetary advantage.

I repeat, if you haven't read the book then read it. It's another world. I read all the books about drug dealers and find them completely fascinating - because they are.

I remember being stood behind him in the queue in the bank in Leeds once. I was hoping he would be asked for proof of ID and pull out a selection of different passports!

Used to see him about Leeds a fair bit as he part owned a bar there and used to hang about with various reprobates on the club scene. Managed to fit a lot into his 70 years 

17 minutes ago, rubenz said:

I remember being stood behind him in the queue in the bank in Leeds once. I was hoping he would be asked for proof of ID and pull out a selection of different passports!

Used to see him about Leeds a fair bit as he part owned a bar there and used to hang about with various reprobates on the club scene. Managed to fit a lot into his 70 years 

Headingly or city centre?